1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm ready to tell my friends, but I don't know how.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spreadwings, Aug 23, 2015.

1. spreadwings

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys! It's nice to be here.

Some context before I explain my issue. I've been gay since I can remember, when I was 7 I knew I was different and I kept it bottled up for years and years, vowing NEVER to tell anyone until my parents actually accidentally found out in December 2013, when I was 15 years old. I'm now 17 and my friends still don't know, but I recently had a discussion with my parents and they are very progressive in that they think I should do what makes me happy. Basically, I've got the all clear from them that they would be fine if I wanted to make it public.

However, I don't want it to be a big deal, y'know? I don't want to make it out like I'm different. I also kind of want to do it in the next few days, since there is only just over a week left of summer break, and I want to give them some time to process it instead of it being an overnight thing.

Now, my actual dilemma... we have a group chat in Skype that we've used for EVER. I don't know how people feel about doing over group chat? My main worry is that they may not take it seriously because of the informal setting, but like I said I really don't want to make it a big deal. Thing is, I don't know how I can make it a small thing by just dropping it in conversation. I don't feel like I want to tell them in person, I don't know, it's just not me. I don't want it to be a big thing where I start crying and have to look them in the eyes and all that you know. I just want to be like "yeah im gay" or something.

So do you guys think it's okay to do this over a group chat situation? I'm on the fence here.

Thanks a lot!
    :lol::lol:

2. Creator

I infact came out to three people in a skype group chat, but to make it easier I typed a bit of it to one of the people in the group chat and had them assist me in telling the others. This made it ten times easier for me and they are all happy and fine with it!

3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the little experience that I have I think how you come out is not that important, what is important is who you come out to. I came out to my family via group text, every one in my running club just assume I'm gay.
    From talking to young people (mostly nephews and nice etc.) no one of their generation is bothered either way, so dropping it in a conversation will probably go down well.
    Coming out is a personal thing so do it in a way that is right for you.

4. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my friends most of them said I was just using it as an excuse to get away from my boyfriend. He was a good boyfriend but I was never attracted to him and thats how I finally discovered myself. Some friends will try to convince you that your'e not or will just not like you for it. Most will come around and accept you. Most likely some will leave too. Those people aren't good friends if they can't see past your sexuality. Personally I came out in a group chat text. That way everyone knows and if one or two people say positive things it's more likely that the others will do the same. Good Luck! And just know we all had to do this or are going to have to in the future. You might as well do it now. (*hug*)

5. GreenPanRose270

I've come out to almost all my friends individually via text and Snapchat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    If you feel like you want all your friends to know at the same time then a groupchat would be okay, but if they are close friends I'd tell them in person.
    Good luck!

6. CharlD91

CharlD91 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to a friend of mine on an informal chat. We were talking about our types and I started by describing my ideal man... And then followed up by and females.
    He acted like he didn't even notice what I had said and then asked if I was joking. When I said no, he was as supportive as he had ever been.