1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I saw a trans-girl today!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I thought I'd share this.

I was having a bum day when at the grocery I saw who I'm almost certain to be a trans-woman. I don't mean this to be offensive or to imply that we trans-people look any certain way, but I only know since when I've frequented that store before, I've noticed her and previously she had been presenting as male. I'm assuming that she's recently decided to undergo transition. Actually, I thought she was very pretty and I wondered if my mother (who was shopping with me) noticed her at all. I didn't mention it though...

Anyways... I thought it was cool since where I live there are hardly ever any trans-people (at least, that I know of). Thought about complimenting her... but I was too coy in the presence of my mother. That and it might be rude to assume things... but it was pretty obvious that she wanted to be perceived as female.

For some reason, it made me really happy to see a trans-person in public.

2. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had a similar thing happen to me yesterday... in the bathroom of all places. I walked in and there was this really beautiful (and tall) woman with two of her friends helping her get all dressed up for something. Then while I was doing my business, I heard someone speaking in a vocal register I've only heard in post-voice-change AMABs. I came out of the stall, and put two and two together. My first reaction was to think "Holy crap! Another trans person! In [my town]!" Realized after the fact that it would have been good to give her a compliment - I absolutely loved her outfit.

3. zgirl81

I try very hard to compliment anyone that I perceive as Trans on their appearance. I worked retail for awhile, and my area was ladies underwear. I'm just going to say: it's really fun helping pre-transition guys find the right bra! Especially when they're trying to make all sorts of excuses for why they're shopping for one.

4. Colorful13

I know the feeling, the gitty feeling when you spot another trans person. its almost like "OMG! HI! WE ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING!!!" It's how I met my bff, he wass like "I know, im going to go on hormones soon." and we were friends ever since. Its not weird to feel that way, its just like you found someone who is in a "minority" that you too are in... idk, that may just be me.

I see how it would be perhaps offensive to compliment her on her transition, but in my opinion when people that know Im trans say how manly I look that day, or that have recently discovered that im ftm and their jaw drops like "NO WAY!" its insanly heart warming.

5. randomconnorcon

I'd love to meet someone who is also transgender in the real world. I live in two major British cities, so I know I'm not alone. But they're like superheroes, with secret identities and I can't find them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I saw a few trans women during Pride, but they were all a lot older than me so I didn't really feel comfortable talking. I think I saw two trans guys, around my age, but it was - without sounding weird or rude or like it matters to me or anything - hard to tell. I looked up a trans group here in Liverpool, but didn't go because I'm going back to London soon (and every time I thought about it, anxiety kicked in and I freaked out, but that's a different story). So maybe I'll find one in London.

#5 randomconnorcon, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I have never ever seen a T person or crossdresser in my town. :frowning2:

I want a hug :frowning2: Someone quote me and give me a hug, please... <3

Although, my therapist did say that there are people in my situation in my town (she was referring to both the T and sexuality stuff I think.) I was like :eek:
    She almost made me want to get a social life so I can meet these mysterious cuties. :lol:
    She also cursed the lack of resources in this town. True. :dry:

my neighboring town had bigger resources though. I want to be there more. Or move there.... I've seen many trans* people there, and talked to more than one.

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was this trans lady at my roller skating rink a few months back, unfortunately she didn't pass completely, although I think she did a good job. I specifically remember this occasion because my mom thought it was funny to make fun of her after we were done skating... Said she was a man in a dress and she had something wrong with her. (With all the wrong pronouns, of course)

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I've met 3 different trans people at my school, but they were all really rude and mean to me :confused:

9. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*)

10. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are maybe 3-4 other trans people here where I live, but it's not a good place for us to be visible, not at all.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure I saw one the other day in the campus cafeteria, talking loudly with a female friend of hers. I also saw one I met at a local trans social walking to campus a few years ago. Haven't really seen her offline since.

This is excluding events, support groups, clubs/bars, etc. of course.

12. thepandaboss

I actually knew a lot of trans people in my old hometown, partly because there was both a support group and a lot of people were moving there because my state (Oregon) was pretty good when it came to LGBT rights (plus, cost of living in my hometown is less than Portland's). Did personally know a couple trans guys at my community college.

Down in Sacramento, I actually don't know anyone except for one former roommate who was FTM too. I know there's a huge support group and gender clinic around here that offers a lot of community events but I guess I don't get out enough to see anyone and I've never been to any of their events or groups. Plus, I've kinda noticed that Sacramento's sort of a mixed bag when it comes to public acceptance so I can imagine a lot of people avoid certain parts of town. If I did meet another trans person, it would probably only be downtown in the Lavender district.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    (*hug*)

14. LuciaLukie

LuciaLukie Guest

If you find any other Transgender people in London, you officially notice or see more people than me, since I've lived in London my whole life, and the only one I know is me. XD

15. FootballFan101

(*hug*)

#15 FootballFan101, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  16. Posthuman666

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

17. FootballFan101

HUGS FOR EVERY ONE HUGS GALOURE (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

18. randomconnorcon

Well, I come back to London in a couple of weeks, so at least you'll know that there's another trans person there somewhere. :slight_smile:

19. TranscendX

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah I saw my first trans-guy in Chicago today. I was getting my haircut, and there was this guy at the desk. When I got home, I checked the haircut place's Instagram (who knew) and there was a picture with him tagged in it. I had suspicions, and I was right. I was so happy. :icon_bigg

#19 TranscendX, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  20. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Today, I bet the people I sold a boat to didn't realize I was a 13 year old trans. They told my dad the salesgirl did a great job.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2016 at 11:04 PM ----------

(*hug*)