1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Straight" Friend Treats Me Weirdly

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by invisiblecities, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    He's definitely bi or gay. I had an issue with a guy at work whom I told (and should NOT have) that I liked guys. He told me he liked me, when he has a husband. He used to stop what he was doing to follow me around while I worked. We didn't have the same job. He's a stocker (stalker) and I'm maintenance. He should even be near me to begin with, especially seeing as how my job requires me to spend most of my time on the general merchandise side as opposed to grocery, where he worked. Right before he quit or got fired, I was working and his brother and husband came into the store accusing me of SLEEPING WITH HIM. This is when I started to have a huge issue. 1. You don't address me AT ME JOB about a personal issue, especially like that. 2. Fuck you for assuming anything without even talking to me.
    I blew up at his brother and told him that if he didn't leave I was calling a manager to have him kicked out. I went and talked to his husband and told him exactly what was going on, and that he needs to keep his husband (the stalker) and brother in law away from me and for him and anyone else not to come around me when I'm working. Both brothers worked at my store btw.

I guess my point is to watch your back. The dude is my situation was actually crazy (mental issues GALORE) and had been in jail for assault a few times, and had even cheated on his husband and made an attempt at others like he did with me. This guy your dealing with could be a lot of trouble in general. I'd stay away if I were you. Tell him he needs to go away, as rough as it might be. (I'm not good with confrontation so it was a bit awkward.) Good luck with your situation! Hope it works out for the best.

2. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know exactly what you mean. I was lonely when first coming to this city where I knew nobody. When this guy started things, I at first thought he was just being friendly and was excited at the idea of making a friend (my best bud and I were still getting to know each other at that point). I found him very cute, I must say, but of course assumed he was straight (the prior that someone is straight is over 90 or 95 per cent, so it's the natural assumption). As he made his attraction increasingly clear, I updated my beliefs about his orientation and started to fall for him. Then the roller-coaster started, with all the confusion of the inconsistency of his behaviour over time, and between his behaviour and his words.

Without my best bud, whom I do things with all the time, and some other friends and acquaintances, I think I'd have become severely depressed. It was bad enough as it was, but I don't want to think about how much worse it would have been if I hadn't been spending so many weekends and evenings with my best bud and others. I think you really need to spend time with friends, without this other guy being there. I guess that's easier at the lower stages of university, when classes are large and it's easy to meet people. Maybe you can try to meet more people outside of your program?

Do you have any idea what his family would think about it if he told them he's gay? Maybe he's trying to win the approval of his dad, who never paid enough attention to him?

In this case, your situation sounds like the opposite of mine. The guy in my case is very close to his family, and it looks like an ideal family: successful parents, everyone close, etc. It's great, except for the fact that they're religious (and probably conservative), and I'm almost certain he feels like he has to be straight for them. I guess there is another downside, in that he's talked about the pressure he feels to spend time with them, and how they complain if he doesn't phone them enough and spend enough time with them. He talks in a similar way about the need to spend time with his girlfriend, as if it's a sort of duty he has to carry out rather than something he wants to do. That kind of makes me think he might be gay rather than bi. If he is, I feel sad for him and his girlfriend, so I hope I'm wrong.

I must say, I find this puzzling too. The way the guy in my case behaves is kind of more what I'd expect from someone who's closeted. Your situation sounds more confusing. Maybe he's further along in the acceptance process, and trying to indirectly tell people he's gay, but his marriage is standing in the way of saying it directly?

The guy in my case is not homophobic when it's just us, but has said some questionable things around others, and seems to be extremely concerned for people to know he's 'completely straight'. His way of behaving towards me is noticeably different when others are around – unless he's had a sufficient number of drinks, and then he's started flirting with me even with others watching. Maybe he thinks nobody suspects he's not straight, but if he does, I think he's wrong. I've never talked about it with anyone, and I won't, because I respect his privacy, but it's hard not to notice the way some people have stared at times. Once he and I were talking in class, and the eye contact was pretty intense. When I looked away, I noticed this one girl staring at us. Later on, she made a comment about a particular aspect of his personality, suggesting femininity (not in a negative way, but more in a way like she found it endearing). I barely know that girl, but I think she had been working with him on some project. She probably suspects he's not straight.

My best bud, who's sometimes been with the other guy and me when drinking has been involved, might suspect that he's not straight, but if he does, he's never said a word about it. I'm lucky to have him as a friend, because we can talk about anything, but we both respect the privacy of others. That kind of respect is important to me, because I know he respects my privacy too, so I can be totally relaxed around him. If you know someone like that, I think it would really help to spend time with them, and try to just forget about this other guy when doing so.

I know the feeling. When I was going through this emotional stage, and he said he was straight, I thought 'well, I guess I was just really confused'. I took him at his word, and that ended up being a disaster. First, I got upset that he seemed to not want me to be around when he was with other friends and doing things involving drinking (it makes sense if he was afraid they might notice his feelings). Second, I started trying to think about other people, then met someone and mentioned it to him. It apparently hurt him a lot. He didn't say it, but I could see it. Even now, looking back with a clear head at social media photos of him from that time, when he was trying to have fun, I can see that pained look I remember so well. It still brings a tear to my eye. I hate that I did that to him, but how was I supposed to know? FFS, he said he was 'completely straight'. I really thought I had just been severely confused or something, because I had been lonely when I met him. If we end up without even a friendship, I think it will be because I made that mistake of believing him when he said he was straight.

I don't think you should doubt yourself. Based on what you've written, it's clear that he isn't straight. He's just deeply in the closet. Maybe he'll come out one day and maybe he won't. You need to think about yourself, though, and decide whether you want to continue having contact with him.

3. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    By the way, I want to add that I hope it doesn't sound like I'm saying there's something wrong with you discussing that guy with your friend. I don't mean that at all. When he does it out in the open like that, in front of you and her, it seems like fair game for you to talk to about it.

In my case, we were always either alone when he did it, or if others were around, it was almost only after some drinking, and even then he tried to be discreet (I don't think he was always successful, but I'm sure he was trying). I respect his privacy, and that includes anything done in private or when drinking. In that sense, my situation is a totally different situation to yours, because in your case, he's doing it 'publicly'.

I don't know if you interpreted my comment as a criticism of talking with your friend about that guy, but I just want to be clear on the point that I didn't mean it like that.

Best wishes in finding a solution. (*hug*)

#23 Siegfried, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Unfortunately, I think it's a possibility that my guy is crazy, too. His drinking issues, the fact that he acts like he doesn't have a wife but insists his marriage is fine, how obvious he is (he staring, the touching, etc) but how adamant he is that he's straight.

I was talking to a gay friend who suggested he may have convinced himself he is straight. I think so many guys think being gay is so outside the realm of possibility for them that they're like, "I know what an attractive woman looks like" and just date her and don't take notice of the fact that their friendliness with these women isn't necessarily physical or romantic chemistry.

Our professor included both of us in an e-mail a week or two ago and since then I've been receiving a windfall of text messages from him. I've been as terse and jerk-ish as possible in response to him, making sure to not give him enough meat to drag the conversation on further. I think he's taken notice of it, but I'm not sure yet whether this will cause him to back off or try harder with me.

We shall see. I don't think he can separate his friend feelings toward me from his other feelings, but I know he doesn't want to lose my friendship, either. I think I'm readier to give up the friendship just because I don't think we're capable of separating those feelings from the other.

5. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    His bitch gon' be real mad soon.

6. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Is there any way you can avoid him entirely? He doesn't respect you. He doesn't respect his wife. He does things in public that are offensive to both of you. He sounds like a complete wankstain, and definitely not somebody I'd want as a friend, colleague or even acquaintance. What if you just stop responding to his messages and keep responses to a minimum when face-to-face?

7. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not a chance, unfortunately. We have almost all of our classes together, we work in the same office suite, and we are both chairs of a organization. I've definitely been standoffish with him via text message and that seems to have worked a little bit. I'll try to gauge his behavior when classes start tomorrow. I just don't get him. I don't get how you can be 30 and this confused. I don't get how you can be married for several years and this isn't an issue.

8. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

OMFG!!!!!!! :roflmao::tears:

9. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hahaha, naw. She enables him. He ditched her once when they were dating for someone else and she took him right back. I don't think she has much self-esteem to speak of and she lets him walk all over her. I feel like he's dug in his heels and is intent on remaining "straight"/in this marriage no matter how much he complains about it or how he treats me.

10. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Update:

I've been as stand-offish and elusive as possible but it's still ridiculous. I found out that a classmate I adore has her office right next to mine, so I went in to visit with her yesterday. About 30 minutes into our conversation, *he* appears because apparently he shares an office with her. I was civil but not much beyond that. When she left, I left with her so I wouldn't have to be alone with him. Today, we had a class together and several of us (including him) gathered together afterward. I felt like he was staring at me and mirroring my body language as usual during class, so I departed the group early so I didn't have to be around him any longer than I needed to. Just got a text from him about an hour ago saying--I kid you not--there were some tiny kittens outside of his house and asking if I wanted to adopt any of them because he knows I like cats. Like--was he trying to get me to come to his place? What sex offender did he borrow that line from? This is nothing new, either. He's talked multiple times before about the cats that hang outside of his place. Like, what sex offender did you borrow that line from? I'm like "Just be real with me! For God's sake!"

11. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to address the topic directly with him. As long as you don't name the problem, he can continue to pretend it's all in a friendly spirit. Let him know you know what he's up to. Demolish his alibi.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2015 at 12:42 AM ----------

Tangential note: It's always good to meet a fellow Bayesian.

12. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess my fear is that when I'll confront him, he'll do that and act like I'm crazy for thinking any of his gestures toward me are weird. Perhaps the fact that others have noticed and mentioned his bizarre behavior will help bolster my argument. I just don't know if he interrogated them how many would actually spring to my defense out of wanting to "not take sides."

13. suzheartaries

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Updates? Curious to see how things are going, especially since you two are back to school and everything.

14. suzheartaries

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I ask because you're the person to bring me to this site and one of my clients is going through something similar to you. I mean, look at all the "straight friend" threads on here. :wink:

#34 suzheartaries, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  15. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think this may be the first time I referred someone anywhere and they actually took my advice. :grin:

Anyway, when he sent that text asking me if I wanted a kitten last week, I replied, "Not on your life." Then I avoided him at a series of events for our program the following day. That night on the train, he asked a friend of mine if I was OK, telling her I seemed distant and cold. She told him he needed to have a conversation with me. The next day he sent some completely unrelated texts, which I figured were just a meek way of gauging my disposition toward him, so I was terse.

Last night in class, he seated himself across the room from me, which people pointed out in our first semester of the program was his way of staring at me but being less noticeable. I could see him doing it occasionally out of the corner of my eye, and once even caught him and his head did the weird jerk motion that I think is him trying to say "I wasn't doing what you think I was doing!" The professor asked to speak to him after class and I darted to the train. In spite of my haste, he caught up with me, but I talked to someone else at the station and boarded my train quickly.

Today, he blindsided me in my office. He popped in before his class and said something like "Are you okay? In general, in life? Because you seem distant lately." I was so surprised that I stammered something like, "I'm just overextended." I don't think it was convincing, because he came back after his class and asked the same question. I got so emotional I could barely get an answer out. I told him that I was overwhelmed with life and that I was having to start prioritizing what was important in my life and pushing aside what was detrimental to my health. I told him I was disoriented by his acting like a human and showing some feelings, mainly concern.

I had a train to catch, but as I ran there I told him I'd talk to him when I had more time and was better/rested more coherent. And I thanked him for reaching out. He told me he'd talk to me any time I needed and made some joke about my text. I told him I knew he couldn't keep up the sympathy for long. He said I was the one trying to "diffuse the emotional intimacy of the moment" by joking that he was acting like a human by showing feelings.

"The emotional intimacy of the moment." I don't know what to do with him. I don't feel very confident getting ready to have this talk next week, though. I feel like I'm baring myself and he will never show his cards. He's throwing out all sorts of signs and I don't know how to read them.

16. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I remember something almost exactly the same when I tried to distance myself. I had been acting distant, and then he invited me and some others for a beer. During that time, he brought up out of the blue that things weren't going well with his girlfriend, and that he was going to break up with her. That had no effect on me, because at that point I wanted nothing to do with him. I remained distant and some time later, when nobody else was around, he asked if I was doing okay. I got really emotional too, and gave the same sort of vague answer. He did break up with her and he did start things up again. Just as before, though, he suddenly stopped some months later, after going home and probably facing pressure from his parents. That's when I realised it's completely hopeless.

I have to admit, if he broke up with his new girlfriend and tried again, I'd probably give him a chance, but not without saying something direct and in private about his behaviour, and asking him to explain it. I'd start by telling him that I'd promise to never mention anything he said to anyone else, and to never betray him or hold it against him if he wanted to try again with a girl. I started to bring up the issue once before, but he acted emotionally blank and 'forgot' things he had done so I quickly backed down. If you can manage to do that and stick to it, even if he starts 'forgetting' and acting like you're crazy, then you really have my respect. It takes a lot of courage.

I don't think you should try to read them. For one thing, he's married. For another, it's unlikely he'll be honest with you. The best way to view his 'signs' is as the strange behaviour of a strange guy, who's got sexual orientation problems he doesn't want to share with you. If he decides to share them, I'd give him a chance if I were you, but if he doesn't, then he's just harming you with his weirdness. I know the feeling all too well.

17. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My approach is as follows during the conversation with him:

I'm going to tell him that I've had to bite my tongue and live with discomfort while processing his weird behavior for the last year, so during this conversation *I* and *I alone* get to talk. He doesn't get to respond. He doesn't get to try to invalidate what I've noticed. He doesn't get to be defensive and sweep what I say under the rug. He has to listen to my story, take it home and sit with it for a while, just like I've had to do for the duration of a school year.

I'm going to tell him that I came here to study, work and get my degree and that I didn't ask to have a married straight guy creep up on me. During class, I'd like to focus on class, not be thinking about how to try to avoid eye contact with a guy who stares at me all during class (and I plan to mention that others have noticed his behavior, too). I plan to tell him that behaving this way but never naming it is manipulative, because he's using the fact that this whole thing has been unspoken and that he's straight and married to get away with his behavior. I'm going to tell him that I live alone and am supporting myself while he's got a cozy little situation in which someone else is supporting him, and that I can't be distracted from my work by someone who might only be in my life for two years. I'm going to tell him that he's opened up all sorts of wounds from growing up gay that I thought had healed over. But now the all too familiar fear of straight boy going into homophobic overdrive feels all too real and I'm not even the one responsible for that fear coming into my life again. I'm going to tell him that i'm not sure if he confronted me because he was ever actually concerned about me, but because I wasn't giving him the attention he regularly demands. I'm going to tell him that I'm distancing myself from him because he's toxic to my health and I can't humor his act anymore (I don't even know who he really is--probably because he doesn't, either). The problem is not that I'm not being a friend to him. The problem is that I've realized he's never been one to me, and I can't give him what he doesn't give back.

I heard today his wife and he are wearing "couples costumes" to the program Halloween party today and wanted to chum. Please, be more obvious.

18. suzheartaries

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That sounds like a smart approach. This is the most bizarre situation. I'm so sorry he's putting you through all this. And I'm sorry you have to live in the confusion and not having closure. I think you're right to say he'll probably deny everything you hold him accountable for, but I don't think that means he doesn't have feelings for you or his behavior toward you has been inappropriate.

19. invisiblecities

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ugh, HALP. Things have gotten crazy since I last checked in. So I told you all about my buddy drilling a friend for info and asking why I seem so distant. She told him to have a conversation with me. So he checked on me--twice--the next week in our offices. I had to catch a train and he had to fly out somewhere, so I agreed to get in touch with him the following week. I told my friend, "He's a coward, so he'll probably try to come to you again before he comes to me. Don't let him. Just keep referring him to me." She agreed. Well, this was Wednesday or Thursday.

That Monday he and I had a class together and after hopping on the train and going home I get a text from a totally different friend that said, "DUDE. When you said goodbye and got on the train, he peered around the column like three times to look at you. It's a year later and he's staring at you the same way he did before."

The next Tuesday night I get a text from my friend (the one who'd told him to have a conversation with me) saying she broke her word. Apparently, the two of them had gone out for drinks and he'd drilled her for more info about me. Finally she said something like, "Listen, you may be giving off vibes consciously or subconsciously." She prefaced it by reminding him that one of the first times they hung out together he kept bringing up that he'd never been able to experiment. She also told him he says one thing and does another, like mentioning that he wants kids but later saying that his wife and he "know divorce is a real thing." I don't know what else she told him, but it sounded like she didn't compromise any of my emotions other than my confusion at his behavior and desire for him to stop given his marital status and self-identification as "straight."

That same night he sent me a weird text message asking if I'd gotten an e-mail about an LGBT contest of some kind. I said, "I haven't checked my e-mail all day." He said, "It sounds like some of your work would be perfect for it." I said, "Thanks, I'll check into it." I couldn't help but think how weird that was. You just got done having a conversation with a friend about how you're giving off not-straight, I-have-feelings-for-you vibes to the gay guy and your response is to text the gay guy about an LGBT paper contest?

I was so livid that she would take it upon herself to tell him all this. It felt like it was taking away my voice. Plus, now he's going to have his guard up whenever he's around me. He'll probably be trying to play it as straight as possible if he thinks he's in question. We haven't interacted much since then. I had to walk back to the train with another classmate and him Thursday. I turned around to say "bye" when we hopped on the train (we were going in a different direction than he was) but he was just sort of sadly walking down the stairs on the opposite side with his head held low.

I have no idea what to do.

20. TheSeeker

I understand your frustration, I really do. But I can't help but feel bad for the other guy though. I am sure he's going through a lot right now and you can imagine how he's struggling with his feelings. It might be worth it to be completely clear to him how his behavior makes you feel, but at the same time maybe you can provide him the sounding board he needs to talk through some of this stuff.

Don't be too hard on your friend either, I'm sure she thought telling him was the best for both of you. It's a tough situation, but I think it could still be resolved in good form if you play your cards right.

Best of luck,

-The Seeker