1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are Lesbians assumed to be butch? Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChloeKiss, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

There are so many cute feminine lesbians out there too! And to add to people's stupidity.. Butch women shouldn't be looked at as ugly or jealous of men so they dress like them.. People seem to forget that just like ''straight'' women, lesbians come in all shapes and sizes.. There isn't a specific type! Some wear makeup and love beauty stuff (The adorable Ingrid Nilsen for example) and some prefer sports. Straight people mainly seem to just follow stereotypes. I wonder when it will stop? My personal preference is feminine women but I think it's so wrong when people basically state that butch=lesbian and ALSO butch lesbian= Not attractive? Not nice.

I see a cute girl down the street these days and I've made a conscious decision to not ''assume'' anything. Maybe others should start doing this too? No?

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's probably because they stand out the most, and what the media has focused on. Sort of how extremely feminine, camp gay men can't exactly hide, so they become sort of the "mascot" for their team.

I've heard some ridiculous assumptions from straight men that butch lesbians are just too unattractive to "get" men so turn to women instead, which makes no sense at all, since there are less lesbians out there overall.

Jealous also never made sense to me. I think they're less willing to take crap, given their more masculine tendencies and lack of attraction towards men, plus being women. Who says men are the only ones who should dress this way, or enjoy doing that hobby?

It's easier to dismiss and ridicule others when you have a convenient trope or caricature to attach to them.

#2 gravechild, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. MetalRice

Probably because feminine lesbians blend into the population more by the fact they look like average girls, so butch lesbians just kind of stand out from the crowd I guess?

4. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No it makes even less sense when you consider how desperate some unattractive men are. lol

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stupid people think lesbians want to be men, or like men. In their mind it's a ''masculine trait'' to be attracted to women...

#5 MyLittleWorld, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Well honestly it's just pathetic.. Yeah straight guys are the worst! They get butthurt when they find out a cute girl will never want them though.. It's hilarious!

Also.. Is it just me or are gay people becoming more common? I assume it's mainly because it's become more ''accepted'' by society.

7. Lipstick Leuger

People never notice Femme lesbians, until they are with a Butch. People have no clue I am Gay until they see my wife and then I am holding their hands so they get it. Otherwise, I am totally invisible. So, because they are noticed, people assume htey are the only lesbians.

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I especially hate it when people assume unattractive=lesbian, for example "My hair makes me look like such as lesbian today" "ha ha ha she looks like a lesbian" ect... Although I did hear one guy say that this girl he liked must be a lesbian because she tall,attractive and confident (I'm not sure what her height had to do with anything, this seems to be a stereotype that keeps popping up for some reason, same with the whole "confidence" thing).

Also, to answer Chloe Kiss' question I don't think gay people are becoming more "common" as such, just more open about it like you said. :thumbsup:

9. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some idiots will always think gay people are just turning their kids gay. :grin:

Yeah, I agree, people are starting to be not afraid to be themselves, and it's great.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

But somebody has to be the man, damn it!

11. dontjudgeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People just assume because they dont know anything better.