1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with hormones

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MaybeMyGender, Aug 16, 2015.

1. MaybeMyGender

Haii
    I'd like to take hormones, but i have some issues with them.
    I don't like the thought of taking pills for the rest of my life and knowing if i quit my body will return to how it was before. Iv also heard that they can have serious side effects. I'm also concerned with how it would effect my genitals as i don't wish to change them.
    I wanna be a girl with male parts, and i don't know how to achieve that. :icon_sad:
    Iv been getting worse and worse with my dysphoria as time goes on. Alot of it is becasue of my lack of breast. It's not just that though, my face and curves also bother me. Something about the lack of breast though hits me the hardest. Because when i shower, or change cloths or even when I'm just out doing my usual thing, i get remined of it. I forget I'm a boy sometimes. And i just stare at girls my age, not out of lust but the need to look like them. And it hurts. It hurts alot to lay there at night and look down and realize I'm just a boy. It just. It hurts.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every medical thing can have side effects.
    I'm FtM so can't offer much insight on MtF things buy I've talked to guys who've said that the side effects of health risk listed ate pretty much the same health risk cis gender men having that hormone in them naturally. Its a part if becoming that other gender.

And I'm not sure but I believe most hormones are given by injection and not pill

3. KayJay

That's pretty true actually.

I believe blood clotting in the legs is something women are more susceptible to compared to men. The clots I think are the biggest health risk when taking estrogen, especially if you are a smoker. I wouldn't say you're likely to get them though it is just a risk they have to warn you about because no medication is without side effects. As far as I know though for trans women most of us take pills instead of injections, I think injections are more common for trans men.

#3 KayJay, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  4. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Generally from what I understand pills can have negative effects on the throte. I would rather take injections in the leg. I don't know if I want to get GRS, but at the very least I want to take hormones for as long as I can.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Haaaii (*hug*)

First, if you ID as trans, you are not a boy, never, regardless of your parts (or lack of parts).

Yes, you'd have to take them forever. But really, it's just a pill. Quick. I take pills because I'm vegan and need to take vitamin B12 pills. Just a quick pill.

The hormones might affect your genitalia. It's common, as fa as I understand it, that erections can become a bit of an issue.

In the end, it's all about priority.

#5 Invidia, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. Leifa

You can have a "patch" as well, I was offered that but I chose the pills. And yes blood clots are one of the bigger risks. I'm taking hormones if you have any questions....

and not everything will revert if you stop taking them. Some things are PERMANENT.

7. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this. I'm vegan and have to take b-complex as well. As well as a slew of other pills for various reasons. If taking the pill is an issue then take that one off your list. It's not an issue once it's part of your routine.

What it sounds like, To me, is that you're scared. Have you talked to a doctor about how yu feel? Because the side effects hardly sound like an issue to me, but I know I've entertained the idea of ACTUALLY changing my gender for years and they aren't that big a deal now I've grown familiar with disliking. ... hating... my body.

8. MaybeMyGender

I'm not ready for them, but the fact that i think i will want to keep my genitals proves a issue when it comes to hormones. And i still hate the thought that if i quit taking them it would all just go away. It's depressing.
    I wouldn't say I'm depressed, but i may be getting there. Everynight (and sometimes throughout the day) i get into these strong moods of either
    1.) Doubt. or 2.) Pure sadness over my own body.
    Last night was the worst attack of dysphoria i think iv ever had. I just sat there for hours unable to sleep just being depressed and crying. I still haven't accepted it. I don't know why i can't. Iv even told my parents, but i just keep getting these moments of doubt. Being in public is terrible now because all i can do is stare at what i can't be. And it hurts.
    This has been off topic but i just wanted to share how i feel.

9. Just Jess

As far as genitals, HRT has not affected my penis size at all and I am still orgasmic. I am sterile and am getting the testicles removed, but that is as far as I plan on going. I do not actually want a penis, just that it is not worth it to me to get rid of it. I save thousands this way.

HRT has made sex an even more receptive act for me than it used to be. I still enjoy performing oral. But I did want to throw that out there; if your reasons for wanting to keep your genitals - and totally your reasons and totally cool - are related to sex, it is possible for your sex drive itself to change on HRT.

Hormones do directly help with my dysphoria. But they are not right for everyone. Fighting dysphoria without them is very hard. I did it for a year after I came out and by then it was already pretty awful. I came out at a breaking point and it just got worse. I needed to be on them but could not be.

But it is possible to manage without them. Many of us do and you are one of us whether or not you do. You are going to have to make some hard choices about who and what you allow to remain a part of your life so you do not feel like this all the time. You are going to have to have very good ways to cope. And some kind of life goal or reason to keep fighting. I started a business.

Whatever you decide, and a doctor could help too, just know you have support from all of us here. And hopefully my opening up about my experience gave you some info which will help you make the best decision for you :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2015 at 05:31 PM ----------

As far as health, you are literally trading one set of risks for another. FtM people start having male risks to their heart, MtF people have to get mammograms, worry about blood clots and osteoporosis, etc.

There is a net benefit for those like me and men who have hystos. I will have zero risk of testicular cancer, and the fellas, zero ovarian.

But basically it is six of one half a dozen of the other