1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News "Free the Nipple"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by bubbles123, Aug 16, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So I know there have been threads about women going topless in public before, but that's recently been a big topic around where I live.
    At this beach in New Hampshire, there's going to be a "Free the Nipple" demonstration soon where a bunch of women are apparently going to the beach topless and the men who are part of it are wearing bikinis or taping over their nipples.

Going topless is apparently legal for women in my state but a lot of people are against the demonstration because it's a "family setting". They are even attempting to pass a law before the demonstration to prohibit going topless.

So there are two sides of it obviously but then there's also the fact that maybe what they're doing and how they're going about it is actually diminishing their point, especially if a law gets passed against it. Also, I feel like with the publicity it's been getting around here a lot of people are just going to go to look at women's boobs basically, which is completely against the fact that they're trying to de-sexualize womens' breasts. Thoughts?

Oh and here's a link to an article about it:
    "Free the Nipple" Supporters Coming to New Hampshire - WGME - Portland ME Top Stories - News, Sports, Weather, Traffic

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Female breasts are sexualised to ridiculous proportions - they are more or less on the same standing as genitalia - so it stands to reason that people will find it inappropriate or uncomfortable. Male breasts/nipples, conversely, are not sexualised to any great degree.

Maybe one day, those perceptions will change. I'd find it weird to see a bunch of boobies flapping around everywhere, but you'd probably get used to it eventually.

#2 imnotreallysure, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think this is less about de-sexualising boobs (good luck making that happen in our planets lifetime) and more about people doing whatever they want cuz' fuck society. Either way I can't say it's a movement I'm opposed to...

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

5. kyoujin

I swear, Americans are insane.

Breast should be covered, in my opinion. Just as genitals should be.

6. guitar

As a gay man, I really don't care :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Aldrick

I support this completely. It's ridiculous. I mean, it's a fucking nipple. Basically, a woman can more-or-less walk around completely topless so long as she has something covering her nipples.

Not to mention, this hyper-sexualization of women's breasts causes direct harm to women who want to breastfeed publicly. It always astounds me at how offended people get at women breast feeding. My extended family is extremely poor. I grew up around women breastfeeding all the time, because baby formula and shit was too expensive. Even I was breastfed as an infant, which is ironically the only time in my life that I've ever looked at a woman's breast with any sort of hunger in my eyes.

I'm all on board for Free the Nipple. Then again, it was preaching to the choir anyway, since I believe it should also be legal to be completely naked in public. I've yet to meet a child who has been emotionally or mentally scarred by seeing other naked human beings. In fact, dare I say it, for most of human history we spent the bulk of our lives naked and completely exposed to the elements and each other. Clothes only came into the picture as decoration and as practical necessity to protect us from said elements. Our fear of nudity is a cultural and social illness, and our linking of nudity to sex is directly related to the problem at hand.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that nips are offensive on developed breasts, and fine on undeveloped breasts is silly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What about flat chested women, or men with gynecomastia? Where do their nipples fall on the vulgarity scale? :confused:

9. MetalRice

I think the laws regarding toplessness are a ridiculous double standard and need to be changed immediately, so good for these women; I support them all the way.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it depressingly predictable how whenever rights are up for debate, those who have the right are the ones to speak up to deny the right to those who don't have it.

It was primarily white people who were against making slavery illegal.
    It was primarily men who were against letting women vote.
    It was primarily white people who were against letting black people vote.
    It was primarily straight people who were against letting same-sex couples marry.

It is primarily people committed to monogamy who are against letting multiple people marry.
    It is primarily men who are against letting women bare their chests in public.

For a country that supposedly supports equal rights for all people, we're a pretty hypocritical bunch. Basically, we seem to think that any rights we have, we deserve. Any rights others lack, but want? Meh, there are good reasons they lack those rights. Fuck 'em.

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn, that's deep. And true.
    It's also primarily religious people saying atheists can't run for public office.
    "Land of the free"...Needs an adjustment; "Land of the free, Unless you aren't me"
    There. It even rhymes.
    I think it's a bit fishy how they claim to be the most free country in the world, yet the one directly above them is much more free.
    ...And they don't do a damn thing about it. Yeah, continue to be a borderline theocracy. :rolle:

12. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I completely agree with everyone onboard with this. Though I don't I don't think I would be likely to walk about topless either way, I believe women that want to should have that right.

It would probably take a lot of getting used to at first but society needs to take that first step sometime and after a couple generations it would probably be considered quite normal.

13. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If women want to go bare chested it's fine by me, they should have that right if they want to do it. Though I have one personal preference such as not sitting topless in a restaurants or other dining establishments, and this goes for both genders. [edit] Breastfeeding is fine though.

I do find it sort of funny that the demonstration OP mentioned have the men cover up their nipples. For a free the nipple demonstration, it's sort of strange to free one gender's nipples while 'censoring' the other. Let it all air out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#13 Eiji, Aug 16, 2015
  14. heandsheisme

Frankly, I think it is dumb. Breasts are seen as sexual because we are biologically programmed to find certain things sexual. Breasts were once the only source of milk for newborns, so it makes sense that there is an attraction towards them. It is only societal in the sense that we expect people to cover up anyway.

Legally, Free the nipple is even dumber in my mind. Indiana, Tennessee, and Utah are the only three states which outright ban women from going topless. I could see a free the nipple campaign there to change that, but in every other state there is nothing stopping you from going topless except yourself.

/end rant

15. Midori

Out Status:
    Some people
    Before, it was illegal for men to be topless (at beaches). Then they argued and can now go topless. But women? Going topless? Oh no. The world is going to end. (Note: sarcasm)

It's just a nipple. People have them. People have breasts. What's so bad about being topless? Nothing. But the breast as been so over-sexualized. ((When I brought up this point to my brother, he compared breasts to genitalia--really??))

I'm actually happy that they have Free the Nipple. I mean, yeah, seeing breasts everywhere would be a bit hard to get used to, but it's fine with me.

(Sorry just needed to rant a bit on it.)

16. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think the main problem is breastfeeding. Many babies don't like to have a cover put on them when they feed, and making a women squat in a dirty bathroom to feed her child is repulsive. So, a man can walk around an arcade topless (I've had the experience don't ask), but a women can't use her breasts for their INTENDED purpose? Stupid.

If you don't like looking at someone breastfeeding, LOOK THE OTHER FUCKING WAY.

#16 RavenTheRat, Aug 16, 2015
  17. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care if women go topless. Though I can't help but wonder how painful a sunburn on the breast would be.

18. wolf of fire

I personally feel no one should be allowed to go topless in public, unless it is somewhere like a beach or swimming pool; but breastfeeding should be the exception to that rule.

19. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since it's already legal for a woman to go topless on a beach in NH (and elsewhere), to me it seems this demonstration would to be to challenge unwritten social rules. I think it's possible that more women would go topless on a beach out of comfort if there wasn't such a social obsession with the sexualization of breasts.

I honestly think it'd be nice if showing breasts wasn't so taboo. I mean, male chests are still considered sexy, but those can be shown.

But society in general is often slow to change. I'll be interested in hearing news about the demonstration after it has happened.

20. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say make men keep their damn shirts on! I don't wanna see any of that! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: