1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far would you go?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LogicNoSense, Aug 14, 2015.

?

How far would you change yourself?

1. As much as they would want me to

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. It depends

56 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. I would never change anything about myself

29 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Physical? If someone wanted to change my body to suit them, then I'd want to break their nose, because you don't mess with perfection.

Personality? I'd only want to change my personality, in order to improve myself. Of course, I'll never change my core.

Who on earth removed her own ribs in order to please her partner? :confused: I've just read rumours about a woman that apparently got her ribs removed, because she wanted to look thinner.

2. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, she removed them (the bottom two) if I'm correct because her husband likes 'small waists'. I think she has the world record for the smallest waist...

Correction: after some quick research, her husband's interest in Victorian stuff she made her waist super small. The rib removal-I can't find anything on that, though there is a Russian model-dubbed 'The human Barbie'-who did remove her ribs to make her waist thinner. Along with tons of other surgery...she looks pretty bad to me.

3. Zombi3

Nothing, if they liked me I wouldn't need to change anything.. Maybe habits.

4. lemons123

Third option - never change anything so to speak, but still like her more than anything...I will change her instead, totally change her...inevitably...like that chameleon who wasn't able to change his colors to fit the world and instead painted the whole world in his color 0_0.

5. SocceRoo

there are some things i would change, like habits, but nothing much more. I would prefer to be flexible for someone i love, but there are always limits.

6. Greenapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we all change over time naturally anyway, however I would not purposefully go out of my way to change myself for a relationship to make someone else happy at the expense of my own happiness.

That is a foundation for an unhappy relationship

7. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

If I were to change anything about myself, it would be of my own volition. I would understand perhaps if you changed habits because they were detrimental to your/their health (e.g. if you were a smoker but partner is asthmatic so you stop smoking) but changing personalities or my physical body to please someone else is definitely not worth it.

8. Only if they're bad habits of mine.

9. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think I would change much about myself for them unless it was something that I would want to do out of love and respect. Since I'm trans they would really have to love me for being me. I don't think I would change my clothing, or the way I present myself.

10. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not physically change myself for a partner, other than wanting to look good on special days and things like that. With my personality, it would depend. For example, I'm super disorganized and messy and don't do chores. In the future, if my partner hated having a messy room, I would try harder to keep things cleaner. And if I had anger issues or something, I'd try to fix them to make myself better and please my partner. I think that's just compromising for the two of you to be happy, which is an important part of a relationship. There's a difference between compromising with your partner and changing for them.
    An example of changing would be if they hated my favorite outfit and told me to wear something else or they won't go out with me. Or if they told me not to talk to other friends, or wanted to change one of my main personality traits because they didn't like it. That's changing for somebody, and I would never do that. But little compromises like I mentioned in the first paragraph, I would do.

11. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Only thing I would change is being more social, that's it.

12. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it depends.
    While I agree that you shouldn't change yourself to suit someone else's needs, one still needs to adapt.
    If there's a major personality flaw my significant other is having issues with, I will of course do my best to tone it down or get rid of it.
    A little compromise here and there is necessary, I think

But, all within reasonable limits. I've been in relationships where I was the only one who kept having to change, and it wears down one's self-esteem in the end.

Also, I would never alter my physical appearance for someone else.

So, I answered "It depends" in the poll.
    Because it all depends on the circumstance for me.

#32 Berru, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  13. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I wouldn't change a thing just to suit someone because that would feel like living a lie. I wouldn't expect a partner to do the same either.

14. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Too far, I'm afraid. It depends, of course, but I'm a bit too close to the first option.

#34 Linus, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  15. Acuba403

Physically: I'm yet to transition so I want to be happy with me before I try to please any one else
    mentally: only if there is proof that I'm doing something wrong

16. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Fuck that.
    I'm not going to change for the others.

17. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

I would change myself mentally: attitude, perspective, etc. But I would never change my physical appearance solely for someone else, I would have to be happy with the change too.

18. ThaPrince

Out Status:
    A few people
    If I have to change myself to make someone love me, then they're not right for me.

19. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is only theory, since I've only ever been single - I can easily see myself dressing up sometimes in a way I know my partner likes, but that's not a permanent change. Also, there are things I don't care that much about one way or the other, so I'd be fine with changing those, so long as my partner would be willing to do the same for me.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Serious answer:
    If we're together, I suspect we like each other enough as we were and are. If change happens, as we grow together, sure, whatever. That seems healthy. But to demand change without a valid reason (illegality, health, behavior, etc) is going to be problematic.

You give me a good reason as to why I need to change something, I'll hear you and consider it. It works the other way, too. I like to think, if we're together in a long-term relationship, that we could respect each other enough to do this at least*.

*In fact, I can guarantee this is how it will be. I want to be solving problems and overcoming obstacles more than succumbing to them, and if somebody isn't down with that, well, they probably won't be in my bed or spoiled by this body. I don't mind lending a hand, but if you drag me down... I will let you go.

Semi-serious answer:
    You have to be one exceptional motherfucker, to get me to change... but hey, I'd love to meet somebody that amazing!