1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kawaiinaple, Aug 14, 2015.

1. kawaiinaple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really want to come out, but I'm in a complicated situation. I'm 13 nearly 14, gay, and I live in Australia. I know for sure that my parents aren't big fans of the LGBT commnunity, but I think I have a really strong support network of friends and non-relative acquaintances.

2. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Are you out to those friends and acquaintances?

There's no right answer when it comes to the question of when to come out. You should do it when it feels right to you, and you should be prepared. Think for a while about what you want to say, how they might react, and what you'll answer to their questions and reactions.
    Being young, you'll most likely get the "You're so young, how can you know?" question, so it would be a good idea to have an answer prepared for that too.

If you're not out to your friends yet, maybe start with one or more of your closest friends so you'll have someone to support you, and someone you can talk to about it, and then gradually take it from there.

Good luck (*hug*)

3. AJ2014

I agree with berru start with freinds you can trust and that you are close to build a support system if you think your parents won't be that accepting. Make sure you are ready yourself and know what you want to say when you tell the first people and your parents. Be safe and be proud of who you are you are you and you are great.
    If you do decide to come out to anyone update us we are always here.

4. MetalRice

There's no perfect time to come out, you should do it only when you feel comfortable doing it.

5. jungster

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I recently told four of my friends that I am gay and they were really accepting. I don’t think I can ever tell my parents about it, because they are really religious and not big fans of LGBT. When I told my friends, I started off by saying that I got a crush on a girl and explained my situation and why and how much I like her. You said you have a strong network of friends so I am sure they will understand you. Please tell us how it went!

6. kawaiinaple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents are kind of the same as yours, jungster. I plan on coming out to my friends soon, but not to my parents until I'm at least 18 or by the time it gets around to them.

#6 kawaiinaple, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015