Who did you come out to first and why?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CodeForLife, Aug 8, 2015.

1. DeadheadPride

I told a really close friend of mine who I trusted a lot, and who I knew wouldn't tell anyone. I also told another friend who came out to me that was pansexual, so I knew they'd be accepting. Their reactions made me want to grow and tell other people, and it just grew, until eventually my mom found out (I was texting my friends about it, and she wanted to see my texts.) and then I told my dad.

Overall I'm glad I'm told everyone because it's actually helped a lot of my friendships grow because they knew I trusted them, so they trusted me back. I actually saw my friend-circle blossom into a rainbow of sexualities, so I'm glad I came out.

2. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In my case I came out later in life to my best friend for years, whom I knew I could trust and be supportive because of our history. I think it's a good idea to come out to other people first before your family if you can in order to have someone to talk to about coming out and how you feel. It's even better if you know this person will be supportive. Good luck. You should feel much better after you tell someone.

3. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person I came out to is a really close friend of mine. I came out to her because I knew she would support and accept me.

I knew to come out to her because I knew she wouldn't have a problem with it.

I know she's not going to tell others because I trust her. If they're a good, trustworthy friend, then they aren't going to mention it to others. Just make sure that they know that they are the first person to find out and that you aren't ready or comfortable being out to everyone yet. They should be able to respect that.

4. StartANewLifE

I haven't officially come-out but my best friend knows already so there's no need. She's pretty accepting.

5. ph0enix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person I "officially" came out to was one of my closest friends, who I came out to because I didn't feel like he would push me away because of who I am. I was so happy that he was okay with who I am.

6. zgirl81

To my best friend from college. He was putting out a strange vibe and wanted to talk about what he called "things", and I had recently had another friend come out to me and shared that experience when it happened. He was so nervous and awkward trying to work up the courage to tell me that I just on impulse blurted it out to make him more comfortable!

I trust my friend with everything. We've both trusted each other with secrets before and frequently vent online at each other when we're apart.

Shortly after that I came out to my husband. It was maybe 2 years after we were married? And that was because I figured he deserved to know regardless of what his reaction would be.

Still not totally out to the world though. Family (parents) comes next.

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend, over a year ago. I was so nervous, I was literally shaking all day, and I remember what happened so well... After so much anxiety, at the end of the day, I came out. Thank god she was accepting! I thought she wouldn't want to be friends with me anymore, but that was far from the case.