1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who did you come out to first and why?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CodeForLife, Aug 8, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I miss him!! ;_;
    He was an awesome friend.
    He found out about my girlfriend by accident, and he asked. I could've denied it, but I didn't. He reacted so well!! We casually talked about our girlfriends and awkward things like straight/vs. lesbian sex, kissing a girl.. It was funny. He told me his secrets too, so we trusted each other. Then he moved away. I was too shy to ask for his number and I really regret it....I wanted to hug him too~ I miss him.

The closest thing he did to revealing it was when someone in class asked me if I was gay, and I said no. He started laughing so hard, and it was funny~

2. GreenPanRose270

My very close friend, who is bi herself, was the first to know. (it was also a great way to tell her that I had a crush on her, and apparently she likes me back :slight_smile:)

3. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

I haven't come out yet but I've decided to come out to my older brother in a few weeks when I visit him. I feel like he is the first person that deserves to know. He has LGBT friends and even went to a pride festival here in Germany with those friends. So I'm pretty sure that he will be accepting. Also I want to be able to tell him that he is the first person to know when he asks me if anyond else knows already. I guess that will make him feel like I trust him the most....which I do. This will hopefully bring us very close together. I can't wait to get it over with :slight_smile: Good luck with choosing the right person.

4. MetalRice

When I came out as bisexual, I came out to my mom first, because she was the one person I figured would be accepting of me and who I was.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to myfriend at the time. We weren't really that close, but I knew she'd at least take it ok.

6. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to one of my close friends; I knew that she would take it well, so that's why. ^^ Now I don't talk to her as much as I used to, we've definitely become distant... I mean we talk from time to time, but far less.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

My close friend who's pansexual and very accepting.

How did you know who to come out to first?
    I was questioning so I wanted someone to tell someone who would be understanding of that and know the experience I was going through. I also knew she wouldn't judge me and would be very trustworthy because I'm good friends with her. I knew that after I told her I'd feel better.
    It was weird though that I was actually extremely nervous to tell her, so I guess that's normal. Telling someone for the first time can be nerve-racking no matter how accepting they are. If you trust the person, don't mistake the nerves for a sign not to tell them (unless you're just not ready).

How could you be sure they wouldn't go around telling other people?
    They are a close friend and accepting. Also you could ask them not to tell anyone. I'm sure if they're a trustworthy person they wouldn't tell because most people should understand that this is a big deal and personal for you and you don't want others to know.

8. cakepiecookie

I kind of vaguely came out to friend first. We weren't *super* close, but I chose her because she had recently come out too and it just kind of came up naturally. My first "proper" coming out was to my BFF. I don't even remember exactly how I brought it up.

I couldn't be 100% sure they wouldn't tell, but I trusted them and at that point I didn't really care anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that the people you think will be supportive sometimes aren't, and the people you wouldn't expect to be supportive can turn out to be surprisingly great. There's not much you can do but go with your gut and hope for the best.

9. dontjudgeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my parents first, I didn't know how to come out so I went into my closet and called them to my room. When they came in I walked out and told them that I was gay.

10. dm3r

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my sister 2 months ago, i just told her i was gay. I've always trusted my sister so that's why i told het. She's als always been supportive of gay people. I knew she'd onderstand me and she wouldn't tell more people. I haven't come out personally to anybody more yet.

I could advise to you to tell someone supportive and who you trust most. I wish you the best for your coming out.

11. Qaz

Qaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Who? I came out to a friend because he had previous experience with LGBT people and he was excepting.

How? I felt the time was right and I found the right person.

How? I knew because he told me he had other people telling him and he has kept secrets before.

12. MetalRice

Adding on to my last post, my mother was also the first person I decided to come out as trans too; for the same reasons I chose her to come out as bi too.

13. ApexxShadow

I came out to my best friend first, but then it turned out he was queer/trans* too XD

14. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My close girl friend, I knew I could trust her with my life. So being out to her was easy breezy.

Me: ****** I want to tell you something...
    Girl: What?
    Me: Haven't you ever thought... or questioned...
    Girl: Oooh that your gay?
    Me: Yeah, I'm dating someone.
    Girl: Don't worry I know a lot of rich guys who date around.

I said I'm dating a guy. I didn't say I'm dating a whole state. :dry:

But she has been my confidant ever since. She's the only one who truly and fully knows my gayness. :lol:

15. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out to my mom first over 10 years ago, I didn't go well and she went into total denial. (Still is) So I came out to my best friend a few years ago and he wa a totally accepting.

16. Noches

I had a lot of coming out in my life. I "switched" to different sexualities a lot because I was never sure. But my first coming out was to my friend. I told her I wasn't exactly sure if I'm that straight. Then, few years later (that is, this winter I think) I came out to my mum and sister as an asexual, they never really believed that (my mum failed to acknowledge that and my sis told me that I will change my mind as I grow). And now, two weeks ago I came out to my brothers with whom I went to Woodstock Festival. It went little something like that. We were at the Within Temptation concert and we suddenly started talking about girls. And my brother said something like "Man, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a lesbian, honestly" to me. And I looked at him with a grin, and the smile on his face was priceless. "I KNEW IT", that's what he said. They are very accepting of me, so no problem.

They were opposing to Church, so they were open about LGBT community. It sort of happend.

Well, my brothers know our parents well (Church fanatics, I'm telling you, they hate gay people). That's it. (!)

17. Priceless

Who?
    One of my close friends who I suspected knew anyway. She said she suspected it, but was never her place to say anything.

It's a gamble. There were many people I considered, but in my mind I knew she had to be the first one to know and I knew she wouldn't treat me any different than before.

How could I be so sure they wouldn't tell anyone?
    I wasn't. In fact, I was quite scared she would tell someone. She never would, but everyone in the closet has that fear of getting outed when you weren't ready.

#37 Priceless, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  18. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend of seven years. It was an accident :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was talking about a party I had recently attended and then all of a sudden I mentioned that a partygoer of the same sex had been really damn cute :slight_smile: whoops

Although it was an accident, no warning signs went off in my head when I let it slip, and it just kind of felt right.

I would trust this guy with my life. Even if he had turned out to be insanely homophobic, I know he wouldn't have told anyone. But as it happens, he is also a lover of all sexes so :thumbsup:

#38 Batman, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  19. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I first came out to my sister. We've always had a strong relationship and I just had a gut feeling that if I was going to tell anyone about this then it would have to be her. She's been there since day one, y'know? And she sticks with me even though I can be a total asshole so I came out to her.

She was over the moon about it and absolutely supportive (and still is!) so I don't regret it at all. :slight_smile:

20. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I first came out to a friend who had already come out to me as genderfluid. I knew I could trust them on this. Even so, I felt nervous, and a little embarrassed. But I'm glad I did it. They've been looking out for me, even with us living several states apart now. It became a lot easier after that, at least when talking to people I know will accept me.

So far, my parents (or at least my dad) have been the last to know. I wanted to wait until I was about to leave home, but then my dad asked me directly about my sexuality and gender. My family's kind of traditional on those things, so life's been weird and stressful lately.