1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is social media worth it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunshinebi, Aug 6, 2015.

1. The Wallflower

Facebook is really good if you want to connect with friends. Pretty much everyone I know uses it. I use it too, and I recommend it.

Twitter isn't as much for connecting with buds. It's more for just having fun and doing random crap.

Instagram is just food pictures, selfies, and vines, if you're into that stuff...

Tumblr is a bunch of f*cked up shit that's funny

There you have it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have friends all over the country and internationally, and social media makes it so much easier to remain connected with everyone. I use Facebook and Twitter only.

3. Eye Shine

I like how everyone that is saying yes is actually providing reasons to make it a quality answer and the majority of people saying no are just saying no. Goes to show who actually read the op and did the task at hand and provided reasons.

4. Pie

Pie Guest

I've resisted getting on facebook for a long time and I don't want to give up now. I want facebook to collapse and be able to say that I never used it... I'm not very social anyway so not having many friends is not that big of an issue.

5. Eye Shine

I could believe that Facebook could collapse but not anytime soon. However, I just think it would be replaced by something else. The scheme already has it's place in the world. Now it's just a matter of what is gonna be on top.

6. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do that xD

But yeah, Facebook is good for friends, since you can do private messaging and group chats between your friends.

Instagram...I don't know what that is. Twitter, I haven't tried using it except to stalk my favorite Japanese musicians~

Tumblr is a confusing blog, but its cool. As far as I know (From being on it for four days) There's no privately messaging your friends there.

If you want more of those messaging type apps, there's Kik, Whatsapp, Kakaotalk, Facebook Messenger?

8. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Messenger is ok but think you also need to be on Facebook anyway to use it . It's really just a smart phone front end to the pms

9. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use facebook mainly to keep in touch with family members who live far away (we don't even message each other much, we just see each others photos in the news feed and click 'like' on them and occasionally comment)

I also use it to keep in touch with former colleagues and see what they're up to these days, it's nice to see their success stories and photos of their family and holidays.

There are some pages dedicated to celebrities and TV shows that I might be interested in following, but they get a lot of comments from fans, and fans can be VERY annoying, posting memes and whining about episodes and characters they don't like, so I've stopped following some of those pages.

There are some people I've added on facebook who post way too frequently, like they post an update every two minutes and upload a photo of what they're eating and what they're looking at and where they're going, or they'll upload totally irrelevant poems and quotes and memes that just bore the hell out of me, so I end up clicking on the button to "see less" from them, or unsubscribe from them entirely. It's a bit mean of me, I know, but some people really are attention seekers!

I also don't like adding current co-workers and employers as friends on facebook, because they are not my friends - they are my employers and co-workers! I'm supposed to be professional around them (and yes we do have a laugh in the work place at times) but i'm not comfortable with them seeing my personal posts and interactions with family members and friends outside of work, i keep work and social life separate. Like I said, I will gladly stay in touch with former colleagues to share what we've been up to since parting ways, but people I currently work with are OUT.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean I rarely go on Facebook and I only go on Twitter every few days. If the whole concept of it just died I don't think I would really care. lol im so anti social I don't even have social media haha! :lol:

11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I deleted my Facebook years ago and many of my friends are starting to do the same.

12. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a Facebook account and it's usually open as one of my default tabs, but I probably spend about 20 minutes per year actually using it. There's a couple of old friends from school I only communicate with on there, but otherwise I've never seen the appeal. I've used Twitter on and off, but these days I mostly just read...it's the best place to get sports updates.