1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What r the % of the problems and issues discussed here on EC that u TRULY relate 2?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Aug 5, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

I'm sure all of us have complained at one time or another that straight people or even the world just does not understand or relate to my LGBT issues.

Okay, let's turn the issue around and ask yourself what percentages of the issues and problems discussed on EC that you can truly relate to.

For me, I can truly relate to about 30% of what is discussed here.

The 70% of the issues discussed on here fall under the category of " I can sorta relate " to " I cannot relate at all"

How about you?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: What r the % of the problems and issues discussed here on EC that u TRULY relate

I don't relate to early teenage "does someone like me if they ____" posts, post about serious gender dysphoria, posts about how being queer has ruined someone's life, or "I'm a Real Masculine Man and all other gay people are twinky bitchy femmes, why am I the only normal gay person?"

3. Greenapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: What r the % of the problems and issues discussed here on EC that u TRULY relate

Personally, there aren't many discussion topics that I relate to on here. I think that's part of the charm of EC though. I enjoy discussing topics outside of my little bubble of the world :slight_smile:

4. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

25%

Nearly all my problems consist of me trying to forgive myself... but I love it here because a lot of people on here truly care for one another and it makes me so happy.

5. Lyana

Relate to as in "Yes, I know exactly what you're feeling, I've been through the same thing"? Few. Maybe 10%, maybe not even that.
    A lot of people posting on EC struggle very much. Issues about gender identity, or being ashamed or unsure of your orientation, suffering from extreme homophobia -- there's a lot of stuff I haven't gone through. Everyone's experience is different.

Relate to as in understand and empathize with? The number is much, much higher.

6. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Maybe 10%? I relate to very few people in general, almost exclusively other people who don't relate to many people. On a basic level the problems are the same (most human problems are), but our approaches to and experiences of it are different so I don't always know what to say.

7. SonicBoom

I actually thought that my experience with truly relating little to what is discussed here was UNIQUE.:eusa_doh:

8. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I can relate to most stories actually in terms of some of the feelings felt and ideas struggled about (orientation, feelings toward others, fears, etc).

Something in common: 85%
    of that - Really similar experience/feelings: 10%
    and Almost the exact same experience/feelings: 5%

9. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I do not relate to many.

Relationship problems - irrelevant to me, as I have never been in a relationship.
    Coming-out issues - my coming out was exceedingly easy and caused me little difficulty.
    Homophobia - I have never been the victim of homophobia outside of the internet.
    Mental issues - although I suffer from some degree of anxiety and OCD, I have never seen a psychiatrist and my problems are minimal enough that I do not take medication or otherwise seek treatment for them. I cannot relate to most of the mental issues discussed here.

Since these are a lot of what is discussed here, I will admit to finding it hard to relate. I am more interested in discussion of LGBT rights in general, of news topics, and of the relation of religion to homosexuality. When these topics come up, it's hard to get me to shut up. But the more personal topics I can offer little help in.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

When mostly young christian are seeking to reconcile their sexuality with christianity. I try my best to enlighten others on that issue if they choose to continue in that faith. That is one of most greatest subjects to me and I am ore than happy to share my faith journey with others who believe the same but are struggling with it.

11. SonicBoom

Thanks for the replies.

They are truly enlightening.

When I started this thread, I thought that most of the replies would be that people relate 50+ % and I was the lone oddball for not truly understanding.

#11 SonicBoom, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. SonicBoom

There you have it folks........

So, the next time you complain that straight people just don't understand.....

Just remember that even among we, whom are part of the LGBTQ community , we to struggle to truly to relate to each others problems and issues.

How the hell do we truly expect straight people to truly relate to us.

Just my two cents when you didn't even ask for a penny. :grin:

13. unsureofmyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I relate to people who are bisexual, things some say about awkward changing rooms, trouble liking females who are straight, or gay males, those types of issues. I relate to kinsey 3/4 people too, mostly. I can't relate to gender confusion, females who are trans, etc (no offence, seriously, I'm just saying I don't relate to you as much as others! ☺)

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

30 %

15. AKTodd

I don't know that I can put a percentage on it. I've never kept track that closely. But I probably struggle to relate to most of the issues here in terms of directly understanding what people are going through.

My family is somewhat...unique, including being what many would consider highly dysfunctional in a lot of ways - so that me figuring out I was gay barely counted as an emotional speed bump in comparison to stuff I grew up with and most of the rest of the family either didn't care or were supporting.

So the posts on whether or not something is 'normal' or worrying about familial or community acceptance are something I struggle to relate to. I was an outcast among my peers for most of my childhood long before I figured out I liked sex with dudes. My family was accepting, but I wouldn't have been overly fussed if they weren't. I wasn't raised that way.

I can relate to others trying to pressure you into conforming - spent a big chunk of my life fighting that kind of thing, although not relating to sexuality. For the rest - I try to empathize and see if I can figure out any advice that might be useful - or at least cheerlead from the sidelines and encourage people not to take any crap from others.

Todd

16. RainOnVII

I'm not sure what percentage I'd relate to, but probably something low, like 5%, or 2%? Everyone at EC has different problems/issues, and there are a lot of people. I just make up the gender/sexual orientation/depression side. There's admittedly a lot of these threads, but there are plenty of other topics.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I have high empathy and it's easy for me to understand others feelings and put myself in their shoes but overall the amount of people I can genuinely relate with is low.