1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans* presentation

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mischief, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Hi everyone!
    I've been talking to my form teacher, and she's allowing me to talk to the class about what it's like to be transgender, what it entails, all that jazz.

So, what I'm posting for:
    I'd really love all of your input on this.
    What things do you think are the 100% most important that I should mention?
    I would like to hear from all of you, but I would like some extra info from some of the girls around here as I'm on the other side of the spectrum, and don't know as much about it as I should. It would be awesome for some (if it's okay with you) examples of hardships you guys have all faced.

I want to get my class as informed as possible. So, I think coming here is the best way to get some authentic information.

Thanks everyone. (*hug*)

2. Im Hazel

Well, I basically did this before so yeah. <3 Despite that, I have no idea what you should say, still. <3 I attached a copy of my presentation to this post just for funsies. <3 I think the formatting broke a bit because I had to convert it to a PDF, but eh. <3 Also, I had a kind-of script that mentioned some other things, but I don't have a digital copy, a scanner, or the will to type it up. Sorry. <3

Anyway, you should include whatever you feel is relevant. I included basics (eg. gender =/= sex =/= orientation, and then gender -> GI + gender expression). I went on to talk about stuff like my situation - where my gender is female, but my sex is male. And that is called transgender. IDK if you want to come out at the same time, but it's a great opportunity if you're closeted. Well, what I did was more of a coming out assembly, with info on the side, so maybe that isn't too relevant for you. ^^ Err, IDK what else. You can talk about non-binary people (something I didn't do enough), and about trans* issues like medical transition, or legal sex change. Or bathrooms. I talked about dysphoria a lot, because it affects me a lot, so IDK if you want to put much focus on that... IDK really. ^^

Anyway, I hope I've helped somehow. If you want me to help more or you want to ask me something, just post on my wall. <3

Attached Files:

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I think it's good to talk about dysphoria because it usually never gets mentioned in mainstream trans coverage, so lots of people don't understand how it isn't a choice.

And clearing up a lot of the myths about trans people would probably be good too. Maybe talking about the high rates of discrimination?

4. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thank you guys so much!
    I'm really going to go into detail about dysphoria. It really helps people, from what I've experienced, really learn what being trans is like.
    I'm also going to go into using the word "tranny" and how its offensive.
    How would one explain, really, what gender dysphoria actually is? I know that its different for everyone, but I might need to find a way to have a general explanation.

@Im Hazel:
    Yes, I will be coming out during this talk. I think it will help clear up confusion people have about me, especially with those who assume I'm a lesbian. (I like to believe I look like a guy enough to not even be seen as a girl remotely, but yknow)

5. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I'm actually here to bring this post back. I have plenty of time until my presentation, and I would rreeeeaaallly like to hear from more of you.

6. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Imagine you're coming out to a close friend who isn't the most accepting of this sort of thing.. What would you want them knowing? How would you try to convince them?

As others have said, talking about dysphoria would probably be a pretty big deal.. If you're comfortable with the idea, maybe try going into details about how it has affected you personally in the past? And maybe explaining some of the other, non-binary genders?

Idk really just some ideas.. Hopefully they're useful :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But also explain how dysphoria isn't the same for everyone. Not all trans people are suicidal or hate their body. As well that not everyone knew since they were kids, for some its when puberty hits or in their 20s or 30 s or 40s etc etc.

I think its important that people know that the media narrative of being trans isn't the only one

8. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I am going to make a point of what is shown in the media, too.
    I was just wondering if there were any girls who wanted to share their experience with me so I can talk about that side of it too? I know I have mentioned this already but its something I really want to talk about.

Thanks for the suggestions guys (*hug*)

9. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh.. I'm sure it can't be all that different than what you've experienced.. social anxiety, depression, disgusted with yourself all the time.. You should discuss how it's important to accept people like us instead of pushing them away because of how negatively it can affect us.

If you're looking for a real, concrete example, I came out to my mom a while back. After a while she had told me that she didn't support me and that she would never consent to anything, that I was just overreacting, that I had no idea what I was talking about, etc. etc. Knowing that I had to wait 3-4 years before I could actually try to feel comfortable in my own body was devastating. Thoughts of suicide flowed in all the time, I isolated myself, I hated everything about myself. It eventually developed into a feeling of complete detachment. I felt as though I was just existing inside a vessel, barely living but just hanging on through the body of some other person. Days blurred into weeks, which in turn blurred into months. My sense of existence was slowly fading away, I couldn't remember what I had done just days before sometimes.

It was like this for a while, all because the one person who I trusted entirely didn't come through. I'm doing a lot better now, but sometimes my past returns to haunt me. I think it's really important you discuss this sort of thing. It's important that people know that it's about more than just throwing on a bit of clothes and makeup and everything's fine. The people around us can have an extreme effect on almost every aspect of our lives. (After all, they say that 90% of who you are is really your friends, family, etc). So yeah.. hopefully I've been a little useful here. Best of luck with your presentation! :slight_smile:

TL;DR: Explain that the people around us have a huge impact on our lives and that not accepting a trans person could lead them to their death/extreme depression.

10. Indigos Star

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think one of the most important nuggets of wisdom I could impart as part of the T community is that society roles shouldn't dictate how you present yourself or what you like.

Now that probably sounds funny- we're already transgender, aren't we already going against gender roles/etc?

Well, sometimes it's still easy to fall into the logic trap of femininity=female/masculine=male, and it can make us uncomfortable wearing or doing certain things.

The most important thing is to stay true to yourself. Maybe you're ftm/transboy/nonbinary but not feminine, but you like "girly" things- chick flicks, painted/acrylic nails, glitter, mlp (arguably bronies have tipped the tables here, but they're... another story), maybe there's a "feminine" top you like, or maybe you still occasionally like to wear women's clothing etc.

The fact that you've transitioned/discovered that you are trans (whatever your case may be) shouldn't limit you from liking the things you like. It doesn't make you invalid, or not-trans, it just makes you you.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are men and women. Plain and simple.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except, some of us aren't. Gender can be a confusing topic.

13. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Wow! Thank you guys all so much.
    Thank you MsEmmzy, I'm really grateful that you shared that with me.
    @Indigos Star: Definitely adding that. Really needs to be addressed, I think. Thanks :slight_smile:
    @Kasey: I was going to make sure I added (and made concrete in their minds) that. I think its really important that they know that trans people, are in fact human.