1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News BBC about Satanic Symbols

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chiroptera, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was reading an article on BBC about a bronze statue the Satanic Temple created.

Decoding the symbols on Satan's statue - BBC News

A part of the text:
    What do you think?

2. Posthuman666

Now, I have a huge interest in the occult. The information was mostly accurate.

Baphomet is tied to the drawing Eliphas Levi drew in 1956. Typically Baphomet has an erect penis and breasts, to symbolize male and female duality. The children on the side say that in this statue, as said in the article.

I don't know a lot about this Satanic Temple, but it seems like their beliefs are rooted in LaVeyan Satanism, meaning they are atheistic. They view Satan as a force, a concept, rather than a god. The Church of Satan was founded by Anton LaVey, who wrote a variety of books, including the Satanic Bible in 1969. Luciferians, on the other hand, or theistic satanists, actually believe and worship Satan as a god.

Overall, it is a badass statue. Their message isn't a bad one, and satanists get a bad rep. Maybe its because I am a Chaote and an occultist, but people are overreacting. If there can be a statue of Jesus, then Baphomet can get one as well.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I support this! The more I hear about these guys, the more I like them.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ye, i agree with both of you.

I need to read more about LaVey. It seems interesting.

#4 Chiroptera, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  5. Xochipilli

I don't really care about any of that, but the statue looks very, very cool.

6. Leifa

I was gonna post something but I don't really wanna get into a debate so...just gonna say good for them. Even if it was expensive.

7. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, seems interesting, I'll check it out. Whenever I've tried researching occult stuff online, most of the websites seem to be negative on this stuff because they're writted from a Christian point of view. It's just like any other stereotype - anything with the word 'Satan' is automactically bad XP

Um, I'm not too sure if I'm correct here or anything, since I think I saw it on Wikipedia, but aren't Luciferians worshippers of Lucifer and the Light of the Morning Star, and they actually believe Satan is a whole different entiety from Lucifer?

*shrugs* If I'm wrong, please correct me, I don't mind. I love learning about new things, and it would be best to correct my viewpoint before something goes wrong and there's a misunderstanding somewhere or something XD

#7 Cornered, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  8. wolf of fire

I am a Satanist and I think this is brilliant.
    @Cornered Luciferians do worship the devil or Lucifer or whatever you want to call it as a God yes; Satanists don't (despite the name) we see it as a symbol not a deity and don't think they are real.

9. Ashley2103

As an ex-theistic Satanist, seeing Satanism-related things bring nostalgia lol.

#9 Ashley2103, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  10. Cedar

They're going to move it? It's such a lovely statue.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought they were backing off on plans to put it next to the ten commandments at the Oklahoma capital building? Here's hoping...

#11 Browncoat, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I think the primary motive is to upset Christians. If people want to identify with an evil symbol, that's their choice, although theistic Satanists do focus on a more positive view of Satan as a searcher of freedom and light I've heard, and a development of the spirit.

I think the world would be a better place if we Christians just put our efforts into being the best representatives of Christ we can be, spreading peace, hope and love. Rise above controversies which have no real significance for eternity. How we treat people will have eternal significance, I'm convinced.

13. BelleFromHell

I think that if they don't want a Satanic statue there, they should take down the ten commendments also. It's not fair to say that you can display a symbol of your religion, but they can't. I say that as long as the ten commendments are there, it should stay.

I'm neither Christian nor Satanist, so I'm kinda indifferent to this. I still think it's interesting, though.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree; I'm also neither of those religions, but if one can stay, the other should as well.

Maybe I'll add a Buddha.

Soon the place might become overcrowded with statues, if enough people place ones of enough Gods, Goddesses, and other religious symbols.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get a little weird when Satanism is mentioned in the media, because they always paint us the same way they have since the Satanic Panic in the 80s.

I will say that statue is pretty damn cool though.