1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cosplay and different skin colors

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by loveislove01, Aug 4, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cosplay every Halloween, and it's usually a fun thing to do. I make my own costumes, and I'm not bad at it, and every year I get a little better.
    I was talking to a friend who was not in my main friend group and never gone out with us for Halloween before, and I told them I wanted to be Aqua from the new fire emblem game.
    I'm Indian, and have dark-tannish skin. And she is pale with blue hair.

This friend said I should be someone darker skinned, and I refused, saying I wanted to be her, because I love her outfit and it would be so much fun to make. And she said I was too ugly and my skin color was different and nobody would like it because I can't pull her off.

It made me feel bad, because I'm pretty skilled (compared to most people I know my age) at doing my costumes 100% by myself. And that was extremely racist and kinda mean...

Was what she said true though..,.

What do you think of darker skinned cosplayers dressing up as someone with light skin?
    Personally, I always thought it was about the effort put into it, and I'd like a cosplay if it was of one of my favorite characters.

It's mostly a rant, but eh...
    I'm kind of angry right now.

2. Cider

Are you sure this girl is your friend?

She insulted how you look, and she insulted your skin color. Thats not what friends do. Friends should support you.

I think that you should be able to cosplay as whoever you want, and if you want to cosplay as Aqua, then I think you should do it. Just find a way to make it work for you.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If the costume is good enough, people will know who you are. Skin color shouldn't be too important, unless the character is purple or green, then it can add something to it.

I'm white, but I would damn sure cosplay Yoruichi (Bleach), who is darker skinned than I am.

4. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

When it comes to cosplaying, most people expect to see the real life version of the original characters, because that's what they are used to. If the skin color of the cosplayer is different from the original character's, it's confusing for them, because that's not what they would expect. It doesn't automatically make them racists or give you a reason to strike out their names on your "Friends" list.

Other than that, calling you ugly is a bitch thing to do.

So show her you can be an awesome Aqua! :lol: You might not be the Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V version of the character, but most people aren't o just don't give a crap about what others say. Have fun!

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If only people the same skin colour as the character they're protraying can cosplay then I have bad news for all the white cosplayers doing Japanese characters. :wink:

I've never really gotten that argument. I've seen a lot of really awesome cosplays where the person's skin colour "didn't match" the character's, and those cosplays were no less awesome because of it! In fact, one of the most memorable cosplays I've seen was a black Sasuke from Naruto, and she'd covered half her body in the Orochimaru curse marks in white instead of black. So freakin' cool.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's interesting you say that...

Hardly anybody from Anime appears to be, well, Asian. I don't know if that's because they find Western features more exotic or appealing, or if it's just easier to draw it that way.

7. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should cosplay as whoever you want to cosplay as. What matters is that you had fun and enjoyed yourself, and if you can't do that then there's no point. Go for it, girl :slight_smile:

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's because it's considered more attractive to be white. :/

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

That idiot is not your friend. You can cosplay as anyone you want~

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm losing weight and am looking nice and skinny, and really, really, make me a Beast-Boy outfit...

But I'm not green!

*Bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww*

Still, I do plan this outfit, maybe by Halloween, or the nearby next comic-con...

11. Cedar

Skin colour should not limit your options in regards to cosplaying... They are fictional characters, it shouldn't matter what skin colour you are so long as you enjoy cosplaying that specific character.

12. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I cosplay as well and I think what your "friend"said is ridiculous.... In many cases in anime and DC/MARVEL skin color is interchangeable because the characters are in urban centers or can just as easily be drawn black or white or even bright pink and it would be okay. If you want to cosplay just do it. Its supposed to be accepting to everyone of all ages so just ignore her and go with it

13. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't let others tell you what characters you can and cannot dress as. If you want to be Aqua, then say, "I am dressing as Aqua." You don't need their validation.