1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College and Roommates...Help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I move into college in two weeks and I am beyond nervous. It also probably doesn't help that I have yet to have even talked to my roommate. For some reason my college is very late with giving room assignments and we find out tomorrow (all my friends found out like two weeks ago and have been talking with their roommates). I'm comfortable with the college since a few of my friends are going and it's only 20 minutes away, but I'm still nervous...mainly about the whole roommate situation. If I could have any help from college guys on my questions that'd be great! (I know some of them must sounds stupid but I have never shared a room with someone apart from vacations with my family.)

-Where do I change? Like do I bring clothes with me to the bathroom and change after I shower or do I just get naked in front of my roommate and change?
    -How do I bring up my sexuality to my roommate? I'm only out to a few close friends, but I've decided that I do want to be upfront with my roommate about who I could potentially be sleeping with?
    -If I do end up having someone over...how do I go about that? Like do I just shoot my roommate a text saying that I'll be having a guy/girl over?

I'd ask some of my friends these questions...but I have no guy friends who are currently in college or am comfortable to ask these questions with.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. KeithWulf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm not in college, but when I told the people I was living with I was bi, they didn't like it xD well my aunt tried not to make a big deal out of it, but my gma HATED it. She still does but they learned to live with it since I'm not changing.
    They should accept you for you hun ^^

3. blackhatguy

I'm in pretty much the same situation, only I know one of my roomies. So I'm not very helpful at this point.

At my university, we had to fill out a survey with questions about when we go to bed, whether we like the room cool or warm. It was creepily personal, but one of the questions was how comfortable you are serving as an ally to under represented minorities such as LGBTQ+ or foreign. So that's something.

4. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always bring at least underwear to the shower with me. Almost everyone will do the same. It's just what is consider polite.

If you and your roommate are okay changing in front of each other then that's different.

Before you come out to your roommate, gauge is political views. If he is more liberal, than coming out to him shouldn't be a problem. If he is conservative, it might be best to just let it be. My old roommate was homophobic so I never came out to him, but I didn't have a sexual interests in him either. It might be the same situation for you.

Don't worry so much about sexual relationships with your roommate, you'll find other guys to sleep with. There's an app called ****** and plenty of your gay classmates will be on it. You should also join your university's LGBTQ club if it has one. It's a great way to meet friends that you can be open to, and you might find someone who you might date.

Best of luck to you. I'm a senior in college this year. And I will tell you, College is an amazing experience. Get involved as many activities as you can. :slight_smile:

5. Lyana

I'm a girl, and I've had roommates for the past five years (as in actually sleeping in the same room) and I recently got back from a course where I had to share a room with two girls I'd never met before, so things might not be identical for you, but...

I've never had any trouble getting naked in front of my roommates, or them in front of me. I'd usually turn my back for their comfort, but whatever. We both knew neither was going to ogle.
    I guess you could keep your underwear as suggested above, or just wait and see how your roommate goes about it. If you're really stressing it, when you get to the room, just say, "I've never roomed with someone before, this is going to be interesting/new/awkward."

Coming out to roommates, now that's different. I'm out to only 3 of my past roommates, and only one of them actually knew while we were living together. I have a gay friend who didn't tell his roommate because he turned out to be homophobic.
    If you know nothing about this guy, I'd suggest you wait a little before telling him, just to see how accepting he might be. A roommate could really make your life hell if it's hard to change rooms at the college you're going to.
    If you think he's accepting, though, just tell him, "Hey, I hope this is going to be a non-issue, but I don't really want to do the whole closet thing in college. I'm bi."

As to having people over, guy or girl, you two should probably talk about that beforehand. You don't have to get into gender specifics, and it's not just for you -- what if he wants to bring a girl over? You two could establish a code (think sock on the door) and agreements on when it's okay or not okay (since it's also his room, he might expect to be able to walk in at any time without warning), things like that. You wouldn't want to force your roommate out on the street.