1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Glee change your view of the LGBTQ community?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by queermeerkat, Aug 2, 2015.

?

Did Glee change your view of the LGBTQ community?

1. Made me understand LGBTQ ppl & their stuggles better

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. No I was already a part of/an ally to the LGBTQ community

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. wats glee....

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sure as hell did for me, raised in a Christian home, didn't even know there was anything besides LG, don't think I even knew the word transgender until that show. Completely changed how I saw LGBTQ ppl.

2. The Wallflower

Glee did more than that-- it changed my life.

3. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I haven't watched the latest season of Glee, but I've watched the others, and to me, it was a bit misrepesenting what I thought was an lgbt community.
    Like, Kurt, for an instance. Did they really have to make him so stereotypically gay? Could they really not have found an ordinary guy to play him?

That being said, I think they did portrait his struggles pretty well, although the reason he got bullied at school wasn't mainly that he was gay, but that he was a "geek".
    And I cried when I saw the episodes about Santana figuring out her sexuality. Her anguish got to me.

4. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly what above poster said
    especially the BOLD one :grin:

5. Van

Van

It didn't necessarily change my view, but definitely helped me get way more accepting of myself. :slight_smile:

6. MetalRice

I've never watched Glee; so no.

7. molsen7961

Looking back on it, I think it really did. I remember, as a bored 11 year old on youtube, looking up "cutest couple" and seeing Will and RJ. I distinctly remember looking them up, going "oh they're gay" and turning to find a different channel to watch. I never felt disgust towards them...it just made me uncomfortable and I didn't think they were as cute as straight couples because they were attracted to men.

That was probably 2011/2012. I first watched Glee during summer 2013, but I quit when Cory Monteith died (I would put a crying emoji here if I knew how to). I watched the first two seasons at that point, because I was still in catch up mode. Seeing gay couples portrayed in such a way, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. It wasn't all "shove gay down your throat"...it was more of a "show gay in the exact same manner we show straight." I think it was definitely the way that they showed that gays are just the same as straight people that really made me open my eyes, and to be honest, I think it was the show that sparked my passion for being an LGBT advocate, despite thinking I was straight back then.

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it just supremely annoyed me.

9. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Glee's portrayal of the LGBT community was stereotypically revolting and insulting

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually think Glee has some positive LGBT plot lines and characters. Although there's some stereotyping going on, I liked that Kurt's character was somewhat feminine - I think the show did a good job of saying that was okay. Plus the plot with his dad was just excellent- I particularly liked the episode where he talks to Kurt about sex. I think it was a great example to parents of LGBT kids, one that I hadn't seen on TV before.

11. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To people saying kurt is a disrespect to the LGBT
    You are mocking every femme guy out there so please be polite
    There is blaine
    And Karofsky
    Kurt is the only guy who is so femme and over the top and extremly fablouse
    But whats wrong with that
    Since when do we care what some straight people and those who look at us as outsiders think ?

12. PrettyPurple

Glee didn't really change my view of the LGBTQ community because that view was already changed when I started watching it XD the first time I found out Glee existed I was about 11 and I read about it and went "a gay character that's disgusting I'm not going to watch that", and years later when I became more accepting I started watching it. Didn't finish though, somehow I don't like the last season as much as the previous ones.

13. candyjiru

It was pretty stereotypical, but at the same time it did help me to understand myself a little better. (especially Santana <3)

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

With the high degree of stereotyping it didn't exactly change my view.

15. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It didn't really change my mind about anything. Although Blaine and Kurt and Brittany and Santana were the first gay and lesbian couples I saw on TV. I quit at the end of season three, never even watched the graduation episode, so I believe I got out before everything went really downhill, but of course there were still things they could have handled better.

The scene where Santana comes out to her grandmother has always stuck with me, though. Even more so than Kurt coming out to his dad, though that scene was fantastic.

16. Rainbow Girl

I don't know if "changed my view" is the right term but it definitely helped me a lot. I know there were some things they didn't get right but here's some of the things I thought they really did get:
    - Showing many different kinds of gays guys. As said above, yes Kurt was a bit stereotypical but there are femme gay guys and Kurt did a good of showing that that's okay. And they showed other types, like Karofsky, a jock who struggled with his sexuality (his storyline was also great) and Spencer in the last season who was an out and proud football player who's sexuality wasn't a big deal.
    - Kurt's relationship with his Dad. His Dad was an awesome parent.
    - Kurt's bullying storyline.
    - Santana's struggle with her sexuality. Seeing all she went through was so relatable for me. And her relationship with Brittany, for me, gave me a lot of hope for the relationship I hoped to find.

17. CharlieChalk

Personally, no.
    But I do know a lot of people who it did great things for, including parents. I remember watching it a few times with my Mum just because it happened to be on and in Season 2 when Santana and Brittany were discovering their relationship, that was really opening for my Mum because she'd never considered it in situations such as that - I mean why would she? She's been married 25 years.
    I was a big fan of the show and Brittany/Santana may always be my favourite TV couple, and yes, I will admit that it had its flaws, oh man, did it have its flaws! But I think that the hype the show created and the LBGT influences and storylines within it did change a lot of lives - be it people finally accepting how they feel, the hope it gives people for relationships or developing the views of adults.

18. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did not watch it, it is not my kind of show at all, so, no!

19. The Wallflower

Blaine isn't stereotypical. Neither were Sebastian, Karofsky, or Spencer...

Either way, we must keep in mind that there ARE many stereotypical gays out there, and they ARE bullied and end up loathing themselves for being that way. It wouldn't have been the same if it were an ordinary guy playing Kurt... I'm not very good with words, but I hope you see what I mean.

I think they did the right thing by choosing Kris Colfer to play him.

Let's also not forget about Unique and Sheldon. Unique's story in Glee truly got to me, and I'm sure it definitely inspired the trans community. If you haven't seen the 'Transitioning' episode from season 6, go watch it right now. I cried at the last performance. There's a freaking trans choir!

All of this aside, the show isn't as much about portraying the struggles the LGBT community faces as much as it is about celebrating who you are. It still pulled it off, however... and Glee really did change my life, and I'm sure it changed others.

I hope I explained this well enough...

#19 The Wallflower, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  20. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Watched most of it when I was nine. :/ I remember going on YouTube and seeing all these people commenting 'Brittana 4ever' or something like and me being like 'WTF are you talking about?'. It all went over my head, so I did not have much of an opinion until much later.