1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with the recent Gay Marriage ruling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by VideoGameLover, Jul 30, 2015.

1. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So apparently in my class we're supposed to discuss what problems could have resulted in the new gay marriage ruling. And what "solutions" could be used to fix these problems.

But to be honest I can't think of any reason why gay marriage would pose any problems on society. How can granting freedom of love to more people pose any threats on marriage or society in general?

2. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    what kind of class is this? (e.g. Sociology) and what level (high school / college / uni)

I want to know those 2 details because if it's a uni professor who is coming up with these type of questions :eusa_doh:

3. RadioRoss

The only problem i can think of is the super bigoted people flipping out and potentially hurting LGBT+ because of this ruling.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One potential problem is that instead of focusing on how much good the ruling has done for gay couples in America, some teachers will dream up stupid exercises where focusing on the "problems" it causes. (Sorry, I get grumpier as I get older)

I guess they want you to talk about how opposing religious communities might deal with ruling: ie. should they be legally obligated to conduct gay weddings, bake wedding cakes, provide wedding services as part of their profession? etc.

5. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a public speaking class at a college level. Although the professor himself didn't come up with the topic. The class was supposed to decide what the most important public issue of today's world was, and I guess the majority of people chose gay marriage, so that's what the assignment ended up being over.

--

I guess I could talk about how it could effect religious institutions and their traditions. Going off of what Spartan said.

Hmm... but then there's the "solutions" section. Well, I guess the solution could be for people to get over it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 VideoGameLover, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your talk could be about how others think it's a problem and why (the heck!) it isn't.

(you can skip "the heck" part if you wish... :grin:)

7. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmmm... Maybe for the solutions part I could talk about how the problems aren't really bad and that the people should just adjust to the new ruling. Society will eventually (hopefully) adjust to these changes anyway.

I mean back then there were white fountains and black fountains, and nowadays, the majority of people would, rightfully, oppose someone who discriminated against a colored folk.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could talk about how in many states same sex couples can get married on Sunday, fired on Monday, evicted on Tuesday, denied a loan on Wednesday, and kicked out of a store on Thursday, and that all of that is perfectly legal. The solution would be passing ENDA and the Equality Act on a national level.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is many people still believe being gay is a choice. They believe that by making that choice you choose to be bullied, discriminated against, and even murdered or killed for making that choice. And as messed up as it is they think you should not be protected for a choice you made as being lgbt. Of course it is not a choice but the reason conservative politicians won't even pass common sense legislation to protect the dignity of human beings is that you can chose to be gay or even choose to come out about it which of course you can choose to come out or not. That is still a problem and also as others mentioned there could be retaliation in more conservative areas like gay people being murdered for simply being who they are. Gay marriage may be legal everywhere but discrimination still exists and many people believe that being lgbt is still a choice that is made.

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was in uni, in one of my Sociology classes, my prof went on a mini tangent about the marriage equality ruling in Canada being problematic because afterwards the government was like 'whelp, good job everyone, we have achieved equality, it's over, there are noooo more problems to address in terms of LBG[TQIA+]!'

11. Cider

Hmm, I kind of understand what your professor is saying. A lot of people think the fight for LGBT rights is over now that's gay marriage has been legalized here in America, when in reality it's far from over.

This is the only non bigoted problem with gay marriage being ruled. (And even that's a stretch)

12. MouseKeeper

It doesn't. It just doesn't.

13. C P

C P

Someone please add a frickin' like button, if just for this post.

I already see plenty of people who think that everything is bubbly and sparkly now because of the marriage stuff in the US...and it really concerns me for the long haul because I'm afraid that mentality is only going to spread. For some bizarre reason people think they can sit back and enjoy this apparent utopia in their minds.

When you have shit like the fuckin' hypocrisy going on in terms of how other minorities are treated -within- the 'community', the ridiculous bs trans folk face from all angles, etc., I couldn't give two craps about marriage equality personally; it means nothing to me if everything else is just going to be ignored.

14. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to mention something like this. Not only the government, but non-lgbt folks as well. The whole "They have marriage what else could they want" dealio.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stole my thunder. Totally right.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, if it's a college or university professor, that's a perfect question to ask. Nothing is ever perfect, all pros, no cons. As others have said, now there's a legal document someone can actually point to "proving" you're gay, and say "I don't want none of them gays working here, so you're fired." You're kicked out of your apartment. Your house/car loan is denied. Etc...

17. Posthuman666

I agree with everyone else. Talk about why it isn't a problem, and is actually a great thing.

18. Sarii

Ok, so there is rape, child kidnappings, terrorist groups, inequality for women/gays/trans/etc in developing countries, extreme violence in said countries, bullying, suicide, depression, and countless other more serious issues, and they chose gay marriage? Ugh just fly me to the moon already

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are no problems whatsoever.

There is no religious freedom to enact exclusion, dehumanization and violence.

Anyone who says otherwise has painted a target on himself.

~ Adrienne