1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News A study about Gaming and sexism.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Hawnuh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well when i was younger and i would use my mic a lot and guys would bother me and were pretty rude just because i was a girl... but then again I was playing call of duty and every knows the cod community is not very mature haha :rolle::grin:

2. I don't think gaming itself is sexist. I've heard that video games tend to objectify women, but that's due to the lack of women in the gaming industry.

Girls aren't exactly encouraged to show their competitive side compared to guys. I remember I would play games with my guys friends as a team and as we play, we get cocky af. I've hardly seen girls express their competitiveness out loud before, and that's pretty much 90% of the gaming community, expression of competition.

Also, gaming is still considered as a hobby for guys, which is such an outdated idea. Because of that, girls I know are more inclined to ditch video games. If we dealt away with that sexist concept, I believe more girls will play video games.

If you fellow girl gamers have people telling you "girls don't play LoL" or "girls can't handle CoD," I believe that it's 90% ignorance due to the lack of girl gamers playing those games.

3. KayJay

Ya I understand totally what you mean about including trans and cis people both under sexism.

Though I used to play a MOBA, at a decently high level. I've probably experience more "positive" experience playing League of Legends than I did bad ones, at least when it came to my gender. I'd get the occasional remarks about my gender negatively but more often it seemed to be extra niceness just because I'm female. Though if you think about it I shouldnt be afforded extra niceness just because I'm female. I am definitely included to believe FPSs are probably the worst genre of game online for sexist people.

I'm not saying sexism doesn't exist, not by a long shot. Just kind of stating my personal experiences I guess.

#23 KayJay, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. Sarii

I looked at the thread title and thought in support of it, and then I was gonna link that exact video, lol

5. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [YOUTUBE]9MxqSwzFy5w[/YOUTUBE]

Christina Hoff Sommers, an American author and former philosophy professor known for her writings about feminism in contemporary American culture, discusses sexism in gaming.

Sommers is known for her criticisms of contemporary feminism. She coined the term "equity feminist" to denote her philosophy, which she contrasts with what she calls "victim" or "gender feminism",[2] arguing that modern feminist thought often contains an "irrational hostility to men" and possesses an "inability to take seriously the possibility that the sexes are equal but different".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Hoff_Sommers

She also has a youtube channel called "the Factual Feminist"