1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benevolent dream-crushing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Azrael, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have noticed that the media and our teachers tell us we can be whatever we want if we try hard enough, we've kind of become a bit of "anything is possible" society. But there are many instances were you have to tell people that they aren't gonna be the type of person that goes anywhere in life if they follow their dreams.

Is it kinder that you crush their dreams before it's too late, or let their dreams crush them later on?

I am talking in the context of dreams such as, finding true love, marrying a rich guy, going into the field or industry you dream of, thinking of making it large in show business, etc... that kind of stuff.

Thoughts?

2. sierpinski

Interesting question. Following thought:

Take you take someone's delusional dreams away. What will he be living for? There are so many things we wish for that are hardly going to be possible, but they keep us going.

What I think is dreams shouldn't be crushed, but that we should make people, especially children, understand what really is important in life. Because if they do, they'll learn to love the things they have. You can't keep people from getting crushed by their dreams. That's inevitable. But you can give them something to recover with when they are. Know what I mean?

3. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I was going to attempt to answer beautifully and poetically but you have said everything I could of mentioned and made it that more poignant.

Well written!

4. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dunno, I often feel the psychopathic-empathetic need to crush someone's dreams before they head the wrong. I almost feel like it's better to regret your life in a Mercedes-Benz than on a bicycle in the rain.

I wonder what it is with me, I feel like when it comes to things like this, you should only encourage people to do what they want when you have a sure fire plan that will cradle them when things break. I almost feel a sense of guilt when I don't tell people to stop with their dreams before they watch it burn to ashes before them.

5. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think personally it's the manner rather than the what here.there is certainly milage in not letting people chase rainbows but equally you have to be delicate.

I worry about this a lot for my daughter, who is a huge Disney Princess fan. Thankfully Disney have been a little more responsible of late. But the fairy tale, love at first sight, happily ever after is still there and to be honest I see no problem per say, within its place. The problem comes when young girls or boys (although less so) are left with the feeling that such is real life. On the other hand we want to protect their innocence from The reality , that in all likelihood they will go through many relationships until they find the one and even then it's not going to be plain sailing.

6. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Perhaps what you say is right. When it comes to these things, adults seem to have a more convincing sense of authority and wisdom when they speak about it to a younger person (though adolescent rebellion often makes it difficult). As a person who has friends with heads in the clouds, I sometimes find it very difficult to tell them that what they are thinking or saying is absolute BS because I don't see them do the work for it, or rather they are doing it because they thing they deserve it. I think it's this thing with the entitlement generation that makes us that much more prone to daydreaming.

7. The Wallflower

I think you should let them pursue their dreams; you never know what might happen.

As Walt Disney once said: "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Besides, crushing their dreams kinda makes you Cinderella's stepmother.

Unless the person's dream is to marry Justin Bieber or something.

8. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wonder though, whether my tendency to want to do so comes from a bad place because I'm immensely jealous of the opportunities they have that I don't (most of my friends are from a upper socio-economic background), or from a nice place because I've been through some of the things they've yet to go through and I can't bare to see them upset.

I'm unsure if the Stepmother analogy is spot-on in this case. The way that loving parents, can at times, want you to change your course in life.

9. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, achievable is the key thing here, and that is where older people come in. Not to say no, but to try and guide them gently in a better direction.

Within reason I don't mind where my daughter chooses to go in her life, but if she sets herself an unachievable goal I do think it will be my duty to try and guide her to something else. Likewise it falls to me or my wife to support her through the difficult times of adolescence and failed relationships and try and ensure that she is being realistic in her expectations... Prince or princess charming just doesn't exist, because they are a fictional perfect character. There is no one who is just going to swing you off your feet and make you happy ever after, unless you set yourself reasonable expectations for such in the first place.

10. The Wallflower

If my dream is to become a world famous hot dog eater, it's understandable why my parents would want me to change my dream, but it's still my life and my dream, and while I love them, they shouldn't have a say in it.

...As long as the dream is achievable, as said above. ^

Just my opinion, of course~

#10 The Wallflower, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  11. SpiritEnergy

You don't have to crush nobody's dream. If you have a dream you can make it come true. Some are more difficult than others, but you just have to try hard to achieve it. If you don't dream, you don't achieve and if you don't achieve, you won't grow and will be stuck in that aspect. Anyone can marry a rich guy, anyone can make it big in show business, anyone can find their true love. It all depends on how much you believe in yourself and how hard you work for it, despite people telling them otherwise.

If they fail, they find a new dream or try again. How can you build a future if you don't foresee it, if you don't dream it? Anything can come true if you believe it.

#11 SpiritEnergy, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  12. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

And I think this is why sometimes I've the mind of a five year old, alot of adults/ scratch that.. some adults are really jaded.. examps: my mother. Dreaming is what keeps us motivated. And being a kid on the inside is probably my secret to being 18 but looking like a middle schooler lolz fml(!)(!)(!)

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2015 at 09:41 AM ----------

Seriously guys. I've no junk in the back or cup size :-(
    My bod is an underdeveloped piece of something lolz

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Let them chase their dream. If it's something impossible let them get crushed on their own. They'll be miserable but there's a chance they'll learn from it and at least they should have made some progress in the direction they want to go. Crush their dream yourself and they'll be miserable anyway, and your friendship will probably get hurt or destroyed in the process.

So just tell them to go for it, be supportive and see how far they get, even if you don't really have faith in them. For all you know they may surprise you...

14. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Either way you can leave them be or try to stop them but In the end if they keep going for their dream, then they probably have the strenght to achieve it.

Sometimes to be able to achieve something great, you first have to be told you can't.

And to what you saud before, Azrael, about it being better to regret life in a mercende benz than a bike in the rain, I have to disagree. I think it's much better to regret life anywhere knowing you gave it your all, rather than regretting that you never tried.

To me life is about learning, growing, gaining new experiences; You won't be able to grow if you try the same pattern every time and then all you'll ever learn is regret.

Wow sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent there.

15. NervousAsHeck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there is a key distinction here between being a friend and being a parent. I'd not try to tell a friend, unless my advise was asked for. As a father it will be my responsibility to offer guidance sometimes even when it's not wanted. The key will be not in doing so, but how I do it.

16. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Perhaps that is a good way to say it, perhaps the problem with some of us is that we somehow adopt either a parental personality or a jaded personality in our adolescence. Sometimes it's difficult to stop yourself from saying certain things you know is true.

I wonder though, whether this urge or sense of jadedness is something that is rare among the age of adolescence, I almost feel that among my peers, I've always been a bit of the black sheep when it comes to things like this. Willing to offer shelter, but quick to dash silly dreams.

I think you may have misunderstood my point, it was more of a, 'being told you can do it' then failing afterwards. There's a huge sense of pride in being encouraged or rather not being discouraged to do something, and when it amounts to failure, it's kind of these stains that you don't get out of the sheets.

If in the end, all you have is regret, isn't it better to have an excuse to fall behind? I've been through both, when failure happens after I've tried my hardest on something that's extremely important (say, applying to an middle tier college) that regret turns into some form of toxic self-hatred whilst there's always an excuse or an urge to return to do something you haven't because you regretted not doing it younger. There's sadness, anger, but it's not as toxic cuz it's directed at someone else or an event or something, not yourself, at least for me.

17. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think that it is cruel to (unless it is a cruel dream, like to be a serial killer).

My school says it is a sin to not do that to your kids...

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's interesting where people stand on this; it's more telling than about anything else.

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Their dreams are none of my business.

20. sugarcubeigloo

When I read the title of this thread, I immediately thought of what an oxymoron it is.

I don't understand how anybody can act as an authority on what is possible and what isn't. What makes someone's dream delusional? No one was anointed with the power or right to tell someone else they can't achieve a goal or dream.

If anything, that strikes me as borderline abusive. It infuriates me that people really do think they're being benevolent by intentionally putting someone down. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." No one can see into the future and no one can say for sure if a dream is truly achievable.

If anything, you could to be that individual a successful person references in an interview when they say, "This guy told me that I'd never make it and that really crushed me, but I kept at it anyway despite him."

Really, if you're reading this and you're thinking about "crushing" someone's dreams, get over yourself and worry about what you need to do to accomplish your goals.