1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Non-fiction-fiction" literature posting? Question...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Leifa, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Leifa

Okay so this is a little weird to explain sooooo bare with me.

First off I'm an artist, big into the entire art scene. Especially writing. It's gonna be my major when I can afford to go back to college, which will probably be when I'm 60.... :frowning2: and I like to think I'm pretty decent at it when I want to be. At least my teachers in HS and professors in college (before I had to drop out) thought so too. So events happened this year which brought up a TON of memories, some buried, some suppressed, and some I just hadn't thought about in awhile. Alot of it I feel like I need to talk about but don't really have anybody to talk to. One time I tried ended in the disaster I posted in another thread about being told what my life should be. Anyway. Not all of it is related to LGBT, transitioning, etc but alot of the memories I've recalled are from that. The rest is just incredibly shitty things that could have happened to anyone, cis/straight people included.

Anyway most of my writing was done in high school when I was in a very bad spot and it helped me a ton. I even got a poem published under a name I never want to hear ever again as long as I draw breathe. Which is cool, and shitty at the same time. Anyway I've been writing a bit again recently because I love it and wish I'd never stopped and this idea came to me. Since I have nobody to talk to about these things I thought I'd maybe try to write a "non-fiction-fiction" expression of it. What that means it'd be the events from my life with most likely different names besides maybe my own, no surnames, no places, minimal dialog (mostly just thoughts) and a little bit of flare I guess.

I haven't started it and am not really sure if it's a good idea but I'm terrible with articulating my thoughts in an "essay" format, this disaster of a post being the prime example. I've made replies to try and help people even though I haven't been here long but I don't feel like I really get across what I'm trying to.
    But this would be JUST thought mostly. Thoughts...feelings, not explanations. Not essays. Not "posts". Not conversations trying to explain.

A lot of it would deal with things like questioning gender identity, sexuality, etc since that's pretty much the biggest thing I'm facing. I don't know if something like that would be helpful to others or not. I know there's other memoirs out there etc and I'm FAR from done with my life.

Anyway my question was would something like this be "acceptable" to post? It would probably be in segments and I haven't started it yet.

As I said there's other things too that I don't have people to talk about with and because I'd be writing this for me they would probably be included to make it easier for me to piece the story together. It would probably be very graphic, violent, and could cause triggers for people...I'd put up warning tags but still.

I don't know if I'd do this but I thought I'd ask what's acceptable here.... it's a good outlet regardless even if not shown to anybody I guess.

Thanks... this feels kind of awkward and I don't know if I'm even expecting a response. >.>

2. randomconnorcon

Creative nonfiction sounds like a brilliant idea. I'm a writer, too, and I take events/situations in my life and spin them to fit characters in fiction. Because I'm really too much of a wuss to write about myself. It's a big step, but writing can be so helpful for a person.

I hope it works well for you, but if you ever do wanna talk to someone about anything I'm always around.

3. wasgij

It doesn't have to "not be" fantasy though. Sure, if you feel that sticking to the facts will be more therapeutic that way, and that you'll get things off your chest, then go for it. My masculine side is thinking that maybe a bit of fantasy, some wild exploration, and going into uncharted territory with your characters and all that, could also help you gain some insights.

Fantasy and reality is kind-of a false division. In life, we experience what we imagine that we're experiencing.

4. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it sounds like an interesting idea. I've never tried something like that, since I mostly write fiction, but it sounds like it would work well.

Do you know of any other writers who've done something similar? Maybe you could find some literature to give you some guidance.

5. Leifa

In the way I was thinking of doing it I don't really, I feel like it would be a little disjointed because I wouldn't be doing plot points etc...it would be more like a collection of memories in chronological order with thoughts attached to them etc... I'm still not sure if I want to do it but I kinda needa do something. I don't know.