1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Noticed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gillisland, Jul 26, 2015.

1. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well to start I'm new to this website, so hi!. About two weeks ago I realized I was gay. The first person I told was my friend, she talked to me and she told me she was bisexual which really calmed me down. I don't really know who I should tell or if I should tell anyone. If someone could help me with this I would be very happy- OneStranger

#1 gillisland, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  2. YinYang

Tell whoever you are comfortable with telling. That's all the advice I can offer. It's great that you figured out who you are!

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to Empty Closets!

I'm really pleased it helped to tell your friend. Just letting one person know can make all the difference.

The next stage is really a personal decision for you and it will depend on how you expect people to react. In most cases it's best to tell the people who you expect to offer support, so you have a good network of people who can be there for you if you get a bad reaction in the future. Maybe if you have other good friends, you could tell them.

Telling relatives, especially parents, is a big decision and if you are still living at home and you depend on them for safety and security you need to be pretty sure that they will stand by you and love you no less. If you are not certain, it might be a good idea to wait before you say anything to them. There is no hurry - many people don't come out until they are in their 20's (some even later).

4. PurpleKitten

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't feel forced to tell everyone that you are gay if you don't want to. It's just better to get out to some people (like parents) especially if they are going to be in your life when you find a boyfriend or get married and it might be better to say it first instead of coming home one day with a guy. I know in a perfect world no one should assume your straight but unfortunately its the truth