1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 204 Days into 2015, There Have Been 204 Mass Shootings

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Foz, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Psaurus918

Yes and no. I guess it depends on the person/family. My dad owns a handful of guns (pistols,rifle,shotgun) I went shooting once and HATED it. I personally don't have any pro gun friends or have any friends that own a gun. But on the flip side I have a cousin who is really pro gun while his father isn't (outside of owning a pistol for home protection)

2. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not just the southern states, there are many northern states where politicians of both sides would have re election if they are perceived as anti gun. The northern state that I currently live in has as many or more % of gun owners as Texas. Even the Democrats here sometimes will tout their NRA membership in their re election ads, so as not to appear anti gun. It was said in some news outlets that one of the problems our governor (who is one of the dozens of republicans running for president) will have getting the nomination in his party is his past support for the 1994 assault weapons ban. He never defended the decision or said it was wrong, just that he "learned" from it.

3. The topic of guns vary by state. I want murder rates to go down and guns aren't the only weapons used to kill. Even if guns are out of the picture, there are other ways to kill (slash arteries, explosives, arrows, etc). Tbh, explosives are very easy to make.

In order for gun control to work, there needs to be a change in our culture, which is something that can't happen overnight. Many gun control advocates cite Australia as a country where gun control works, but their culture is very different from ours. The laissez-faire, "live and let live" attitude isn't as prevalent as the U.S. If there is a very strong demand, people will find a way to get it.

Not to mention the issue with gangs. Background checks have been provided as a solution, however they recruit new people almost every day. Those new people usually have no criminal background and can help supply gangs with guns.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, probably never. This is an issue split almost nicely down the middle, but I don't think this country is going to get rid of public gun use before it gets out of hand.

5. Cider

This honestly is really scary. It makes me feel ashamed to be an American to be honest.

I hate when Americans say that if we ban guns, criminals will still get them anyway, and we won't have any way to defend ourselves.

Look at all of the other countries with strict gun laws! They are doing completely fine!

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought this might be worldwide, but it's in the U.S.

Very sad statement when we have to live our lives accepting that mass shootings are "the order of the day."

At this point, I'm trying to figure out which one has stunned me the most. The links and exhibits above also point out that there are some that are so local that they don't even make national news.

7. CyclingFan

Freedumb!!! Woo!

/shrugs

/recites second amendment piety as received from the nra

/who could have seen this coming?

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2015 at 06:05 PM ----------

It's true that murder will still happen.

But guns make it easier.

Honestly find that an amusing point to debate. Ammosexuals know guns make it easier to kill.

It's why they like them.

8. Justinian20

Why do people want guns so much in America, first of all people need to understand guns make it easier to kill in the first place. On the other hand, yes people will die without people using guns to kilI with. One thing though less people will die and less massacres will happen with control of firearms.

9. celeste

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can guns just be banned in America already? It's frustrating to see so much murder going on, that could have been stopped.

10. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Make all kinves have a rounded end so no point for stabbing.
    Make it be much harder to get gunpowder legally, and if people still abuse guns, make it even harder to, if we still do, stop making gunpowder and let anyone buy guns, just no gunpowder or bullets.

11. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I hear in the US some parents buy their kids real guns as a birthday or Christmas gift.
    In Canada, parents don't even want to buy toy guns for their children. It's a totally opposite mindset. "Guns are our friends and will protect us" versus "Guns are our enemies and will kill us".

If a parent were to buy a gun for a child here, their sanity would be questioned
    and someone would report them to Child and Family Services for being an abusive parent.

12. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    An idealist scenario would be to see all that good metal be melted down and go into something productive.

But america is a system which gets slower by the day.
    To see this change would take a monumental movement.

13. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Even if we had better gun control laws it doesn't seem like difference at this point, Given how much guns there are in the America.

14. Foz

Foz Guest

It's just the worst excuse ever, they'd be the first country in the world to see crime rates increase after strict gun control!

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is definitely little moral or practical ground remaining for those keenly clinging to guns as an inalienable right. Guns cause more deaths than they prevent by far, significantly contribute to suicide rates and a host of other problems such as domestic violence and the increased danger of petty crime when arms are involved.

I think it's important that the whole of North and Central America work together to limit the presence of arms regionally; while gun control must start somewhere, it's clear that it's not as easy to simply confiscate guns as it was in the classic case study of Australia when they're much harder to track in the US and gun violence is prevalent in most nations in the region.

16. Psaurus918

Explosives are not very easy to make. If this was the case we'd have far more bombings, look at columbine for example. They made 2 giant bombs that never went off and dozens of smaller pipe bombs and only a few went off and did next to no damage.

Also, are you saying other weapons are hard to get in Australia? You're saying they don't have knives or baseball bats there? Truth is knives and other weapons aren't an effective way of killing.

17. RebelsRevenge

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so sad and scary

18. antibinary

"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over."
    -Dan Hodges

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2015 at 04:05 PM ----------

Gun killings per capita (2013)
    America: 10.64
    UK: 0.25
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

19. Beach Lover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (*hug*)Ok so I'm going fly the opposite way and provide maybe a different view point. Please don't attack me I'm just stating an opinion. The people that you see with the most guns and the easiest access to the guns are not the ones commuting the murders. I am a teenager and I hunt part of the year to make money. Guns are a part of our culture because in all reality they need to be (in rural areas) many people in my area supplement their food supply with meat they have harvested. I'm not in the middle of Alaska I'm in the mid west. Hunting here is more than just sport it's about population and vermin control. Not being mean, but some of you from the city just don't understand how your food gets to the table. There are a lot of obstacles in the way often issues with things like muskrats and coyates. Deer are another issue all together. Sure we could find other ways like bow and arrow but they are very inefficient (try getting a cayote or coon at 2am with a bow from 300 yards). Guns are a problem but taking them away from the people that are fighting back the most is not the solution. This issue is the illicit ways of getting ahold of guns. The average farmer could never even imagine shooting someone ever...Even though he might collet them and have possible 30-40. Most of "Gun Crazed" America is a nitch collectors market. Sure they sometimes do stupid stuff but never do they go out and shoot people. The ones that need to be looked after are general in a position they should have never been able to get a gun in. Gangs often use guns transported from other countries i.e Mexico. The black market here is huge. No gun legislation is going to change that. The gun culture isn't what needs to be changed its the people that have to resort to using guns that need to be. I really really don't want to sound like the nra or "guns don't kill people...people do" kind of person. I know America has a problem but I honestly don't think that gun bans are going to help that. It would only make people more angry. Again guys I'd love to debate this, but unless you have really seen how non violent a lot of the "gun culture" is please don't attack me ok. (*hug*)

#39 Beach Lover, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  20. CyclingFan

I don't want you to feel attacked by what I'm saying here. Full disclosure, I own two guns.

Can you point me to the gun safety advocates that are proposing taking away hunting rifles. I mean, we can't even get something mild like improving background checks to better screen out violent felons trying to buy semiautomatic assault rifles that are ridiculous as hunting weapons.

It's kinda crazy to me that we can't even talk about a change that minor without people leaping to this idea of a gun ban. I just don't see how it follows that one minor change leads irreversibly to an outright gun ban, but it's like clockwork.