1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know Victoria's Secret!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by KJA, Jul 22, 2015.

1. KJA

KJA

And it's that they are really sweet and helpful!!

I was at the local large mall, Castleton, here in central Indiana, fruitlessly looking for some place that I can buy shoes. No luck on that front, but I did come across a Victoria's Secret store.

For a long time that was a place the [male] version of me dared not tread. Stupid masculine programming in my brain told me that they would consider me a pervert and turn me away with much embarrassment. Also, my well-intentioned daughter suggested I not visit because she thought it would ruin my [already trashed] body image seeing all the super thin, super sexy models and employees there. But I needed advice on buying a bra, something my wardrobe was lacking, and I felt it best to talk with people for whom this is pretty much their only job.

I wandered in and was almost immediately overwhelmed by the amount of selection and variety of undergarments. Thankfully one of the employees, Shelby, was there and asked if she could help. I explained that I was a trans woman, pre-transition and needed help selecting something that would give my lackluster chest some definition for when I needed to present more feminine. She said that they've helped male customers before (hmm...) and brought me over to where the padded bra were. Their largest strap size is a 38, but with extenders I was able to get it around my plentiful ribs. Fastening was a challenge for the first time but eventually I figured it out.

So I left there with 2 bras (black and "nude"), some extenders and, for buying 2 bras, a special bonus gift of frilly panties. TBH, gonna be quite a while before I can swing those panties, but having the bras in my possession really does feel nice. Going to GenCon soon, and on Saturday, I will be going there fully Kelly. (Sunday going with the wife, I told her if she gave me Saturday, I will give her my old me on Sunday).

Bottom line, don't be timid about going into specialty shops, own it and do what you need to do. You might be surprised how easy it can be! (!)

2. BluhImCourtney

Oh my god. I need to go to VS right now. ._.

... I'm only 17... but still, a girl can dream... ęoę

But yeah, I have heard before that VS is actually really open about trans/crossdressing stuff, so it wasn't a surprise to me that she said they've dealt with that kind of thing before.

I was just shocked that she was so nice and open about it. ^-^

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for sharing KJA, that was quite interesting to read. :icon_bigg

4. PurpleKitten

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Shelby was so nice! I'm so glad she was able to help you and find the right bra! I'm so happy for you!

5. Lindsey23

That's great! I'm glad you had such a good experience. I always liked Victoria's Secret.

6. RainbowBright

I am surprised to hear this. I had multiple very bad experiences there when I was younger. They were very snobby, and only wanted to help people who looked like supermodels. At the time I was thin and fairly attractive and young, but that still wasn't good enough, you had to be the cream of the crop trendy rich-looking type for them to do anything other than glare at you over the counter the whole time you were in the store until you finally left. Their bras and other merchandise were ridiculously overpriced anyway, so I figured they did me a favor.

I'm glad you had a good experience, though. Either they've changed, or it is an issue of region, or who happens to be working there at the moment.

I was in NY, and they looked at me like I positively disgusted them and embarrassed them to even be standing there. I only returned occasionally because I had friends who really liked some of their lotions and fragrance things, but each time they ignored me while ringing me up and made me feel like I was imposing on their day. It was no problem, I took my business elsewhere and never ever went back, and saved a ton of money in the process.