1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I trans for the wrong reason?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Newbonzy, Jul 20, 2015.

1. wasgij

Hi Newbonzy!
    Welcome to the club!
    My own doubts seem to stem from my general insecurities. I've spent a long time hating and being apprehensive about my body. Btw I'm 32, I should probably re-enable that detail on my profile.
    As much as I'd like certain things to be different, at the moment I certainly don't want any surgeons fiddling with my bits.
    Your dysphoria could relate to hypochondria, which feeds off itself the more you think about it. Or it could be a part of yourself that's calling out for help, and you're just starting to cope, which is why you're starting to hear that inner voice. I guess it'll take time to figure out.

Having such high regard for your friends' opinions could be an age related thing. I still care what my friends think, but I guess the last 10 years have kind-of burnt some of that emotional sting out of my system. --No, actually, I still feel burnt when I feel it, but I'm slowly learning to be more independent. Ultimately, you cannot really ask others for approval. That is, you can ask, but it still goes back to something inside of you that says "I believe in this outside world and I won't be happy unless I think it is happy".

2. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well... That was a more comprehensive answer than I was first expecting. But this is the kind of help I've been looking for. Not people patting my back and saying "What do you feel?" I don't know what I feel - I need to know how to feel and where I should feel it. So this sort of helps in a more... Subversive way, thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about you being burnt by friends. I probably sound like a kid, but I feel true friends can be as powerful as family. But I've yet to be burned, God forbid.

Oddly,though, this doesn't feel like hypochondria. I've been told I was gender fluid, bi, and all sorts of things, but I never felt that I was. I kind of instantly knew. I may still be imagining it. And that's why I'm being so questioning. (Thank you all for your support and patience for my constant rabble). I just think this may be real.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah. I don't care about my parts. I feel neither nothing for nor against them, but they've gotta go.

#22 Newbonzy, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. Posthuman666

If your friends aren't trans then they probably don't know a whole lot about being transgender. There are some trans girls that present as male for their entire lives, and nobody can invalidate that. Thats like someone saying your name doesn't seem like it should be your name. Its your name, a part of your identity.

4. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the delay, Posthuman, I'm sort of confused about what you're saying. I do know that trans women often fly under the radar for some reason... and I've heard only bits and pieces from my only trans friend. I'm not sure of the numbers, but being a trans is still pretty uncommon.

Anyways, I think I follow you on that. No matter what someone says, it's a continued part of me no matter what.... Thanks Posthuman.

It's actually kind of funny. I would've expected more people here to say I wasn't trans.... especially in a trans community where... well, maybe you guys would know when a person truly isn't... the sex they claim?

5. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll private message you if you get full on member status obviously! and i do as well. No worries. :lol:

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2015 at 08:43 PM ----------

It's a valid thing to acknowledge. There's a LOT of fear. I think most of the people in here have been listening to you "ramble" (you're not; it's complex) because it seems pretty obvious to, well, me for one; I can't talk to their own opinions, that you ARE transgender at LEAST to some extent. But you're still struggling to find out WHAT you feel.

So, this made me more confident in myself. It might or might not help you, but I took a questionnaire to find out how I already ACT without releasing that girly side of me. Because I'm also pretty scared of SHOWING it.

So today I went ahead and asked my coworker if he could see me as a woman. If I could pull it off. I told him he's NEVER seen my girly side and that I can present REALLY female but just as he knows me could he see me as androgynous or a full female? And I used his opinion to gauge my own personality. So I get why it matters to you more now I think.

Are you saying you value their informed opinion on how well you outwardly fit your inward gender? If so, do they realize that you WANT to present more female, but aren't always brave enough to? And would that factor into anything? If that doesn't help I am sorry, I am just walking through it at the same time as you, I think *blush* now I'm rambling.

(btw his answer was TOTALLY andro, and MAYBE girly but he has only ever known me as a boy and thinks I present as male sometimes, even though I personally reject those parts of myself, like anger, and am trying to eliminate them regardless of my gender. so YAY!:thumbsup: I'll take a half-win!)

6. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hm!... Hmm! That's actually kind of unexpected. I don't have a girly side release button. Since she's me, and my mind, I don't really feel as though I can push a button and turn into anything girlier. It's just chronically there. Like a speech impediment. Only it's a reaction impediment. Sorta.

But the whole reason I asked was because of how "brave" or maybe "true" it is. I can't help but want to look at the truths and the psychology behind things. So I feel men and women differentiate in how they react instead of what they do. I may be totally wrong and you can correct me. I guess it's because when they, sorry, when some react, it's with a higher level of enthusiasm, boisterousness, femininity and general girlyness.

I guess I may need some clarification.

7. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a good actor I guess. I have always. just. been good at bottling and hating myself and only letting out a little at a time. as if lying is second nature to survive.
    I have a whole range of expressions I just NEVER use like the hopping and squealing I NATURALLY want to do just get suppressed and replaced by neutrality. which. is depressing. but mentally I switch between anger and fear to cope with acting manly, whereas when I'm acting female my mind copes better. it makes more logical sense of things. Fewer bad emotions, and a wider range of feelings.

I understand that too! I am fascinated by the psychology of it. that's why I'm so aware of my internal thoughts. I'm my own case study ahaha!
    I know I differentiate between my two sides because one is an elaborate act and the other is my natural, honest to God reaction. but I'm so hyper aware of myself that acting male came from fear and stuck. I did a head bob today in indignation and i noticed it IMMEDIATELY and it almost didn't even get pointed out by the person I did it to haha. but because it was out of character they said something.

I know that I act happier and i bounce a bit when I'm letting the girl in me out. but. she's also just REALLY happy to be here and be accepted.

I think I might need clarification on what you're trying to say though. I HOPE that helps somewhat though. But what are you asking?

8. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At this point, I myself don't know. :sleep:

I spent my entire life telling myself to never let anything bottle up ever. So to what you're saying, yeah, I can understand the additional levels of emotion and expression.

But I've had so many questions answered almost thoroughly. So thanks for all your help and responses. Having spoken to you all, I can safely say that I am a Transgender myself. But I need to keep wary, take my time into realizing my girl side and to accept her, even if she is not as girly as rainbows and unicorns and barbie dolls. I can see the Trans communicaty responds actually rather distinctly, and I'm incredibly surprised nobody wanted to snuff me out. I was kind of expecting that.

There is one interesting anomaly I've seen though. All the girlish acts like dressing up gaudily and jumping around... I fear if I do those things, I'd be giving women and transwomen a bad rep since I feel girls don't do that. When I look at my family and my school, I stil don't. This is soemthing for me to look into myself about. I'm sure there's something Im missing.

Regardless! (*hug*) Thanks, everyone!

#28 Newbonzy, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  9. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I admire you for that. I am a bottler by nature. But no, I understand. *a bit burned out*

Again, we're going through it together. I, personally, think that if you questioned it you've probably got a reason to question your assigned gender.

Maybe you're just less excited??? =P
    (*hug*)

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From what I read I deduce you need time to process your own idea of what is 'feminine'.How do you express your gender is up to you, and should not invalidate your gender. Not all girls need to wear pink and giggle to 'prove' they are girls. Being a girl allows you the 'privilege' to do such things without being judged, but there is plenty of 'feminine acting' men who giggle and wear pink.

... Where as I.. Yes, second point being the effect that other's words and opinions are having on you. To cut a long story short, try to imagine how would you feel if their opinion didn't mattered to you.
    Don't you think that feeling is worth fighting for?

I understand how important validation is at the beginning, so be very careful when chosing your company. To explore different social circles could be also useful.

You do also seem transgender to me, but at the end this is all about you, which means it is up to you, nobody else. Listen more to your inner voice, and do all you cn to block the noise coming from outside. Noisy enviroments are not very good for thinking.

11. wasgij

Well, they don't have to do anything wrong, it's just how you perceive things with you in relation to them. For example, you get to your mid-20s and friendships from the last 10 years could drift apart as everyone moves on with their lives, and that might leave an emotional gap that needs to be filled. Or they could get married. Nothing wrong with that. But then you might reach the same age and wonder what's wrong with you? Or why aren't you 'succeeding' with the same sort of milestones in life?

One thing that's taking me a long time to learn is to step back from family and friends, and to find my own truths and sense of self. I sometimes feel like I don't have my own identity, that who I am has been built up over the years by things like trying to keep my parents happy, trying to fit in with friends, and seeking validation.

In becoming aware of this, it also makes asking for advice on forums a bit more complicated.
    Say that you ask some question, and then you get some answers from people.
    How do you choose what you agree with, and what you disagree with?
    Is there something in your brain that says, "yes, that answer is correct for me, but the other one is wrong"? If there's already something like that inside of you, then why did you have to ask? What's really behind all that messaging?

If you're interested, look into 'projection'. There seems to be a lot of overlap between those ideas and my spiritual take on things. Say that there are 2 people like Tarzan and Jane, one is a stereotypically masculine male, the other is a stereotypically feminine female. Normally we would think that those people are those things -- masculine and feminine. But there's no proof that the woman's femininity isn't just a figment of the male's imagination, and likewise that the masculinity isn't just a figment of her imagination. And now that we're talking about them, that they're not both just a figment of your imagination.

12. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've sort of felt that was the case, yeah. It's been off and on following me, although I hid it up until last week. Nobody said it was going to be easy, and from what some are saying, only I can answer this question. I sort of hate that, to be honest. A part of me was looking for a trans-woman to tell me "You don't really feel that way" so I could hide from ever having to confront this. But alas, here I am, now more sure than ever that I truly am a girl. It's this weight off my back, but a burden on my mind.

There is a lot that can be gleaned here. But let me see if I can respond to them all. Firstly, what it means to be feminine, in my eyes doesn't really affect how I act. Inhibitors will be broken, so I might just naturally act in a more natural or presumed way. But I was that one kid who felt that there are almost no differences between men and women. I liked the idea that culture forms us more. Less of the genes, more of the jeans. I may be entirely wrong, though.

Well, if nobody's opinions bothered me, things would be miles different. I'd probably have came out a lot earlier, I'd probably have much more feminine clothing, and I'd probably be much more outward, but I can't guarantee that's the case. That might be the hypochondria you were talking about. I look for the answer I want.

Ahhh social groups. I'd say something about that, but let's just say I keep to a small group of friends. :icon_wink

And yeah, this is why I'm taking a few months before I'm doing anything to change. I've got plenty of time, although the help I get from people here is still very real, even if it is "outside noise."

That's a really loaded question, Wasgij. I can, yes, see some things I can agree with and some things I don't follow or understand. The more I can see of others and how others think, though, the more I can see of the big picture. There's no such thing as "normal", but there are normal traits. For example, if 9 out of 10 people have a trait, that becomes normal.

But why am I asking these questions?

1. For validation from people who've had these problems, yeah. See how they think, line myself up side by side and see if I'm thinking like them and can identify.

2. Listening to myself all the time is a bit dizzying. I know these are not good traits, but if I had been listening to myself and ignoring others, I would've been much more id-oriented. I'd end up marching to the beat of my own drum, the tempo so crazy and nuts that I could never go into society without people freaking out about what the heck I'm doing. To me, I don't like the idea of causing conflict. I can't even play vs. games of any kind unless it's with my friends. I can't stand the idea that I made someone sad, disappointed, uncomfortable, disgusted, angry, and so on.

Wow, that was kind of winded. Um... Let me know if I need to shut up. :soapbox:

13. wasgij

I'm not saying "don't ask questions", I'm just trying to encourage an awareness that no matter what answers you hear from people, you're still in charge of deciding what's right for you.

From my personal experience that can be very difficult, it's an arduous lonely process, filled with introspection, practising being more opinionated, tuning out from the constant noise of what society wants from me, and did I mention loneliness? This may be part of the reason why the community isn't looking for excuses to reject you. (I think you mentioned something about that earlier but I couldn't find the exact comment.) People have gone through (and are going through) this process and understand that it's deeply personal.

But of course in part 2, you seem to be acknowledging there's a part of you that wants to fit in. I have the same. But feeding that desire seems to give me nothing but trouble. It's never enough, I'm always disappointed with myself and I always want to fit in more. OK, it has probably also kept me out of trouble, but I suspect it's based on some kind of underlying fear that's driving me to be a conformist. It doesn't really feel like much of a choice for me. I hope some of my rant makes sense!:icon_bigg

14. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Human culture is a confusing thing. If I had been born 30, nay, even 10 years earlier, I would most likely have never had to even question myself and just lived as a man, never the wiser. The earlier back in history, the less people questioned their sexual and gender identity. And now here I am, surrounded by both my straight unaffected friends and my LGPBTQQA++IDKLOL... Friends. Now insisting you want boobs and a vagina is as normal as wanting a skateboard for Christmas. (Now is not the time, you idoiot. Stop your rant before it's considered a flame war)

*Ahem* ... So.

Internal, personal battles and being an individual. I'm reminded of a theory in psychology called the push-pull-away theory. It's the idea that people want to be a part of a group, want to be seen as individuals, and want to also crate their own separate identity. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I can assure you, The push is that I'm not a guy despite being born it. The pull is being accepted by you all am really quite excited to belong. The away is just what it is. Trying to be yourself and all.

What am.I saying? I don't really know. A single week has turned my thought process into a pile of mush some call a brain.

1. Yes. I'm not done coming to terms of the social stigma that comes along with transforming (transitioning? What's the PC term?)

2. Yes. I don't want to be crazy and alone. I can handle crazy as long as I'm not also alone. But I have to disagree about our outlooks on conformity. Conforming has the massive advantage of allowing you to fly under the radar, letting you tap into people's thought process and manipulate them like puppets :icon_twis. Or I can just... You know....use it to avoid ridicule. I'm not evil, I swear. :icon_sad:

#34 Newbonzy, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  15. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not alone in that. Thinking that your opinion isn't as valuable as anothers' is something I also think, naturally. But with my OWN great support group I'm learning that my opinion, AND yours is important.
    Asking for help or asking to DO something despite another's opinion is how society works. If nobody spoke out about their own desires nobody would act. We'd all be too caught up asking what the other wanted to for dinner ("No, I don't mind chinese. Is that what you want?" "Well, I suppose I don't mind that. I mean, if you're interested in chinese." "no, I'm not saying I want it if that's not what YOU want..." and so on.)
    haha

What you do is, counterintuitively, the LEAST of anyone's worries. They don't see you. I shaved my arms today, took off my boyish wedding ring (to show off the girly tattoo underneath it, calm down! :icon_wink) and I flipped the switch. Uncorked the bottle. and Guess who noticed? Not a soul. They're not worried about what you DO if you just tell them they don't really have a say. They aren't in control of you and that's ok. They appreciate that.

(!) (I got told to put that in by my coworker, haha!)

and BECAUSE you tell them it's not their problem then they learn to accept instead of reject. So. It's GOOD to get validation. Just don't sell yourself short. You're most valuable. So maybe take a break? Relax. Go be your typical self for a while and let your brain chill?

16. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1: Funny enough, my mom and I end up doing this a lot. We ask each other what the other would want and say it's up to them since we want to be accommodating.

2: I wish I could let my brain chill on this. If been a solid week of questions and anxiety, and I have had to force myself to do anything that isn't... This. Eveny friends are sick of me mentioning and contemplating it. They want me to just have a day to cool off. I do too, but today is not that day.

I'm coming out to my father today. His support will be make or break for me. Especially since he thinks with his wallet before anything else.

But I think you all are right. I'm going to give this thread a rest for a while. You've all been a lot of help, but I know I should seriously do me for a little. Thanks everyone. See you all the 24th.(*hug*)

17. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my father. Nothing good came from it.

He told me
    "Wanting to commit this sin is an abomination".
    He refuses to support me for any reason.
    He refuses to financially support my transition.
    He is writing into his will for me therapy to keep me from transitioning.

I left the therapy session 30 minutes early, my father and my (general) therapist spoke for 30 minutes.

... I am stuck in this wretched body...:icon_sad: until I can get it myself. And I'm sorry if this isn't fully relevant to the thread... I needed to tell you all. I can't even cry, I'm so bloody detached.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yor father won't stop you. Also his noise won't stop you either, unless you let him.

I know it's not enough, but you are not the first one facing a negative reaction. Sometimes brutal honesty from the very beggining is the best. To see them 'change their minds' is worse.

What about your mother?

19. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    His words have not stopped me in the slightest. I am more sure I am a girl than I ever was before.

He has stopped me physically... He refuses surgery, hormones, or any gender therapy. He may kick me off my current therapy now... Thinking my counsellor is sewing a "sinful idea" in me. I'm afraid now he'll refuse me even wearing anything vaguely girly.

My mother supports me whole heartedly. Although she is worried I may be sinning, she wants to see me happy first and foremost.

20. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Detachment is a coping mechanism and for a bit it might be ok. He is a jerk, but that doesn't need to change anything for you and I'm glad you have the conviction to say "this is it." Proud of you. I've been dealing with a coworker, myself, who sounds like your father. He's my boss. It's all going to be ok, though, and you'll be out and on your own FASTER than you can imagine. It's not painless, but fast.

Mothers always want what is truly best. You seem to have a sweet one