1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Feel Comfortable Holding the Hand of the Same Sex In Public Where You Live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foz, Jul 17, 2015.

?

Do You Feel Comfortable Holding Hands in Public

1. Yes

50.9%
  2. No

35.8%
  3. Everyone Wants a Third Option

13.2%
  1. guitar

Re: Do You Feel Comfortable Holding the Hand of the Same Sex In Public Where You Live

You might get a few odd stares but I feel quite safe & secure showing PDA when I'm out.

2. alilnervous

Re: Do You Feel Comfortable Holding the Hand of the Same Sex In Public Where You Live

Yeah, anyone that is uncomfortable because someone else is different can sod off, I don't want to know these people anyway!

3. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I live in a country where holdng hands between same sex friends is very common.
    If i had a girlfriend i would still be self conscious about holding hands in public. Because apparently people here can tell if it's friends holding hands or couples. They have a pretty good gaydar for straight people.

Oh yeah. The country im in is homophobic, but slowly getting better.

4. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Oh Foz, you probably offend people on a daily basis I'm sure something like holding hands would be totally fine XD

It depends on the 'other guy', if he felt comfortable with some light PDA, I would do it. Then perhaps I would do a bit more, just to make sure the bystanders' jaws hit the floor, our jaws are not the only thing at risk here :wink:. Bonus points for being in front of friends and relatives. Extra bonus points in front of my parents.

5. thepandaboss

Back in my hometown I did. Here in Sacramento? Not really. Lot of racists and hicks near where we live. We'd be okay downtown or in the better parts of town but that's about it. We have a pretty big gay district downtown but it's mostly just bars- not really me and my boyfriend's scene.

6. MouseKeeper

If I want to hold the hand of someone of the same sex, nobody will make me feel ashamed. So, yes.

7. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I mean, I've never really held hands with anyone before but I imagined that if I did go out in public holding hands with someone I may be dating then there will be quite a lot of stares. Not like I'd do it anyway, holding someone's hands just feels weird and a lot of the times their hands are sweaty.

8. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

My girlfriend and I have held hands in public in her home city and I don't mind at all. I feel kind of strange, because I'm used to being heavily closeted at home, but I like to.

I would never hold hands in my home town, though. Not because I wouldn't feel safe--though that's a possibility--but because I come from a town where everyone knows everyone else and I'd be terrified that word would get around to my family.

9. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I'm pretty much on the same boat. I used to hold hands with my family a lot (as I'm sure most kids do), but I can't remember the last time I've done this with anyone recently.

10. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I feel like I would be very self conscious to hold hands with another guy in public (even though I would love to be able to #lonely). Somewhere a little quieter than the street maybe. But I feel like I would be constantly thinking other people are judging me.

11. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

YEAH!! the heck I care with other people. :slight_smile: It's wonderful to hold the hands of someone whose dear to your heart. ^_^

12. Miko

Miko Guest

I can hold hands in public with my girlfriend and I get no stares. In fact when I do get someone noticing that we're a gay couple we tend to actually get an "Awweee!" smile. ^-^

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

It depends.....the city with the local mini gayborhood, yes. My city full of industrial workers? Not a chance.

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2015 at 02:59 AM ----------

Thank you for the distinction. :slight_smile:

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

No just in case someone from church sees me. I'm still intimated by them because I respect that they are above me

15. C P

C P

From a biological standpoint? Hell no.

I would love to say yes but, alas, I can't; I'm surrounded by way too much ignorance/hatred, and without any supportive people in my life at that. In fact, just the thought of such a thing makes me incredibly nervous/at unease.

I envy those who can say yes without a second thought. :-l

16. Thedistra

Depends on the part of the city. Right where I live? Sure. A few blocks down? No way, but just existing isn't safe feeling in such parts.

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It depends on how crowdy and friendly it is. =) Holding my boyfriend's hand is amazing, but I know that some people can be very homophobic, even in this country. So out of fear, sometimes, we wouldn't hold hands. Quite sad actually if you think about it.

18. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I do... either way pretty much everyone assume we are best friends.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

No, because Helena, Montana is a place where brutal, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging sexist motherfuckers live.

20. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I have never had the opportunity to do this, since I've never been in a relationship or even kissed someone, but I would feel fine doing it here. The Bay Area, especially this part of the Bay Area, is one of the most accepting places I know.