1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sometimes pretend to be female online :s

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Void Puppy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Void Puppy

So this is something that I've done for the past 3-4 years or so. I don't really know what causes it.

When talking to people online, or when I'm in an online game or something, I always say I'm female. I don't know why, it just feels really good to be called "she, her" ect. ect.

I am even on some online chatrooms where everyone knows me as female (I'm a regular and have been on that chatroom for like 2 years, everyone knows me). I feel really guilty about it but it's too late to change it now.

I don't know what it means. I don't really find "he, him, his" ect to be uncomfortable, rather I just like being called the other ones.

A recent development however, is that when my bf calls me his "guy" or teasingly calls me "mister", that makes me really uncomfortable. Somehow it just really doesn't sound right :c

Thoughts?

2. starm

Before I really went trans, I always selected female on forums, because I really wanted to be. I never had bf/gf on forums however, so none of that applies in my situation. But on the internet no one knows me on the forums, so they don't know...
    I would be careful in your situation though, as some don't like it... in 2008/2009, someone I knew on internet knew I really was a male all along but was friends with me...

3. Just Jess

Do you think your bf will be understanding if you want to be treated like a woman?

4. Void Puppy

I think he would, but honestly I'm not sure if that's really what I want however :/

5. biggayguy

I pretended to be female in an online game. It backfired on me because my character in the game was a real slut. One of the guys fell for me and wanted to meet in RL. We did and he was very PO'd when he found out I was a guy. Boy, did I screw up! I had to drop out of that message board entirely.

6. Void Puppy

It's not like that, because I'm not looking to get anything out of it from them. It only ever lasts one 30-40min game and I never see/talk to them again. I just like the way it feels to be thought of that way.

7. KayJay

I used to say I was female online as well. Played WoW for about 3 of the 6 years pretending to be female. I had already known that one day I might transition but it definitely helped ease me into it. Even met people on the game who ended up being a big help!

I don't know if you're trans but this is all something worth exploring. Perhaps you should talk to him about it since it makes you uncomfortable. Plus he may ask you questions which end up helping you learn more about how you feel.

8. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I mostly play female characters online, but for some reason I still present as male on forums, I guess that is because I'm still biologically male. The first character I made in guild wars 2 was female, and in League of Legends my favorite character is Nami. So kawaii.

9. starm

I am biologically male but always played as female in the games that let it. I used to play Pokemon, but don't anymore and I always played as female too.

10. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, um... okay, are you pretty much me? Are you a mirror? Like, seriously, I want to know. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Video games and stuff helped me out with gender stuff. I almost always presented as female online, and loved it when people referred to me as such. Never did any ERP, though, cause... to me it's kinda gross... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So much like you, I never wanted anything out of it, just a place to be myself.

Kinda helped me figure out my gender identity a little bit more. ^-^

I also find it really funny cause I JUST came out to my online buddies as trans exactly a week ago. XD

They were all okay with it, one even said, "I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share this with us, and we still love you like a sister." x3

But yeah... I was kinda in the same boat as you (except the boyfriend, I have yet to actually date anyone. ._.) so I hope you can relate to this, and it helps. ^-^

Also, if you want to friend me, I'm okay with it. :3

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2015 at 01:57 PM ----------

... that sounded conceited, I mean I want to friend you, but I don't want to be in your face about it... ^-^;;

11. AlexTheGrey

This isn't too different from me actually. On forums, I've presented masculinely (although one of my favorite avatars for this are characters in masks: Vincent from Ergo Proxy, Kuze from Ghost in the Shell. Kuze in particular was wearing the mask for the benefit of others. My forum identities were "personas" even though I didn't really behave differently on any of them. I still spoke my mind either way, and didn't try to speak with any voice but my own. Lately that's changed. Even before joining EC, there were a couple where I was at least more comfortable using female avatars (of a male character who could change into a female). And more recently I've been using my desired female name on a couple accounts. The experience itself is interesting, and a bit liberating, since I've been more open on social networks under this second account than I have been while seen as male. Still not a terribly open person, but more than usual.

And in games, when there is a choice, it is female. 99.9% of the time (I tried otherwise a couple times, and it just didn't work). MMOs are a bit weird since I tended to straddle both. I'd play female characters, but I wouldn't really "try" to be anything in particular. I wouldn't get deep enough that people knew much about my real life. And honestly, there's only a handful of people that ever found out what my voice sounded like.

To the OP, I don't think it is something to be ashamed about, really. I know it may feel like you are lying or pretending to "be something you are not", but the question you need to ask yourself is: am I really lying to myself here? Could it be how people perceive me when they see "a male" is what's wrong?

12. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used to do the exact same thing. I used to be very heavily involved in fandom on tumblr, and while I didn't confirm my gender one way or another, most of my friends there assumed I was female, and I implicitly encouraged that because I enjoyed being viewed in that way. I actively pretended to be a woman on livejournal many years ago, and I almost always select female avatars in games.

I was confused for a while, the fact that I did this being a shameful secret. I now realise (obviously, in retrospect) that it was clearly my way of expressing my bigenderism before I knew was such a thing was, and expressing a side of myself that I wasn't able to otherwise.

13. MetalRice

I used to present myself as female exclusively on all forums I went on when I was younger, because I was ashamed of myself and didn't think people would like me for who I was; so I created a fake identity to try and get people to like me.

I have stopped this since, but I do wonder whether it has any relation to the confusing thoughts I have had about my gender.

14. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rp as a boy before I even knew what transgender was. I'd always play the dad or brother in games with friends.

15. biggayguy

Sorry I muddied the discussion when you were talking about gender identity and not role-playing.

16. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @Alexthegrey

Ergo Proxy is one of my favorite animes. :slight_smile:

Generally I have been way more attraccted to female charters in shows, and movies. Not so much because of feelings of attraction, but being able to relate, and admire them. Plus I love all of the amazing outfits girl characters wear. I had such strong desire to wear those kind of cloths when I was younger.

17. DoriaN

Sounds like a younger me in a lot of ways.

You gon' get in hot water girl!

Part of finding myself realizing I didn't really care if I looked super male or female, but I couldn't stand the though of being in a relationship as a man.. Especially with another man, I wanted to be the woman given the choice.
    Maybe you gravitate more towards being the female in a relationship or group setting like I did.

All I'm going to say is be honest, if you don't want this to potentially get worse or want it to continue you should be upfront. Even if it's small you're creating bonds, I've ran into my own trouble not being straight forward.

18. StanOWar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can I please join the chorus of "OMG ME TOO!"? :roflmao:

We might be unintentionally saying something about trans people here...

19. Void Puppy

Wow, I'm amazed that it's not just me. It seems like this feeling is shared between a lot of people.

However I won't lie, the thought of being trans kind of scares me and right now I'm not sure what I want.