1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared to go to school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by crystallight268, Jul 15, 2015.

1. crystallight268

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know school doesn't start until September but I'm scared. All this new violence against LGBT youth has been having me scared inside. I just been worried that school would be the same this year. I know that I have to go but I really don't want to. After I read the article about the republicans decision to allow discrimination against LGBT youth in public schools I got scared. My state isn't one of them but it still scares me.

2. MR CONFUSED

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I just finished HS in NJ and there was no problem for the openly gay/bi kids in our school. You shouldn't been afraid about what people are going to say, cause if they say something ignorant then just don't take any thought to it. For me, if someone where to say anything I would get in their face but I recommend that people don't do that cause one time I almost got into a fight and my parents would've killed me XD! Just remember, if someone says something mean, just instantly forget about it, their comments aren't worth dwelling upon

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to a religious school. The academic level was very high, and the teachers probably among the best of the whole nation. And yes, they were all homophobes, oe at least promoting such views.

That's why I never got involved with student clubs, or anything remotely 'social', except my few friends. I soon realized I was nothing but a stranger there. I only went with the idea of getting my highschool done, just like you go to the supermarkt to buy groceries.

To me it wasn't possible to change my school, main reason being my prents wanted me there, and I was aware it was such an opportunity. Nowadays I know better.

Perhaps you could give your school a try this year. Perhaps you are just worrrying too much. And if not, just talk to your parents, see if you could go to a more open minded, normal school.

The school is a place to go and get your degree, not a social club like everybody seems to believe. You are free to chose which school you go.

Don't be scared... You keep your eyes open, and good company around, they should leave you alone. It's usually worse for boys, trust me.

4. ChaoticMind

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Stick with your friends. Friends are great when it comes to this stuff. And never ever let the homophobes get to you. They're not worth your time if their only intentions are discrimination and hate. If it gets really bad, you may want to seek some form of therapy, but keep your head held high and put a smile on and it won't need to happen.

Good luck :slight_smile: