1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender fluid child and puberty

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Heather71, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Heather71

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Our child is gender fluid, born male but has a stronger female identification. Puberty is looming. We can't afford the medications to delay/halt puberty, and obviously, this isn't something that is covered by insurance (another rant for another day). Are there any herbal supplements that can have a similar effect?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hi, Heather. I just wanted to say I think you're doing a great job looking out for your kid.

I don't know much about herbal supplements or so, sorry! Hopefully someone else will be able to answer this better.

~Lots of love

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Someone else ought to comment. This can be very serious for the child.

I wish I could tell you of if there was another way that could work than testosterone blockers, but I don't know of any.

4. Indigos Star

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh, I feel your pain. For me, the story ended positively, but I can't say it will be the same for your child.

Unfortunately, as natural supplements tend to be plant-based, and the hormones needed are animal-based, I reeeeally don't think they'll do anything. I'd be extremely wary of anything suggesting otherwise unless there is accredited medical research behind it, and even then, I'd get a few opinions on the matter before throwing your money away.

I personally felt that I was male at a young age, and it bothered me until I was in my early/mid teens. By then, of course, female hormones had started to turn me into, physically, a young lady, so it was too late to follow this course (however my parents don't know, and I know they wouldn't have been supportive)

However, I came to the beautiful revelation that I loved my female body anyways. But then, I was confused, and ill at ease- what WAS I? Thankfully the internet gave me answers and I'm so much more comfortable today- point being, you already have such a huge head start. Even if things don't get sorted out in time, from what you've said I feel you'll do just fine helping your child feel comfortable with themselves no matter what.

5. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Heather71!

This is a really horrible situation for you and I can't imagine how awful it must be. Unfortunately herbal supplements will be ineffective. I won't patronise you by talking about evidence but, as Indigos Star says, supplements with no evidence behind them are at likely to be at best, useless and at worst, harmful.

Are there any charities either locally or nationally who might be able to help? Where is it that you live?

Either way it is important not to blame yourself and your child will enormously value your amazing support with or without medication.