1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any LGBT folks here who legitimately do not believe in marriage equality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EpicConfusion, Jul 12, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone here not think same-sex partners should be allowed to marry? Do you know any LGBT people who think this? I'm assuming no one here will be opposed to it, but I'm curious to know for sure. If you do oppose it, why is that? Explain your thoughts.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Are there any LGBT folks here who legitimately do not believe in marriage equalit

The only ones I know of are the ones that grow up in extremely conservative, evangelical Christian households and are of the belief that homosexuality is "ok" provided you don't actually act on it.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Are there any LGBT folks here who legitimately do not believe in marriage equalit

I know a number of queer people who support the complete abolition of marriage.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

There are some liberationist queer people who either want to completely abolish marriage or do not want queer people to enter into marriage because it's assimilation into straight culture.

There are also some conservative evangelical LGBTQ people who do not support marriage equality (only around 80% of gay Republicans support marriage equality in one poll).

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, that too. I see a fair bit of "don't become your oppressor!!!!1!" from the more radical elements.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

Usually the "kill all white cis men" types.

7. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm one of those people who wants to see the abolition of marriage completely, in favor of a simple legal contract because it's been hijacked by the government and religious institutions, but that's not happening anytime soon so in the meantime I think it's great that LGBT people can marry their same-sex partners.

8. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

To answer your question, I think there should be marriage equality.

Absolutely. :thumbsup: The thing that really bothers me is that the legally binding material called marriage instead of something like partnership. A simple label change would without question remove a lot of this controversy. And yes, I mean a label change for straight and gay marriage licenses to be renamed partnership license.

#8 CodeForLife, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I mean, marriage doesn't jazz me, as it's not what I want for myself.

However, I think it's important not to overlook that marriage equality has really helped some working class folks. If you want to be a "radical," but you can't see when a civil rights gain has actually economically helped people who are worse off, your radicalism is of no particular value.

Until the great anarcho-syndicalist revolution happens (and sure, I'll hold out some hope for it), I'm not going to rub salt into the wounds of my sisters and brothers. (*hug*)

~ Adrienne

10. BluhImCourtney

Just sayin', abolishing all types if marriages completely does actually create marriage equality, in a sense, as no one can get married. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I agree with same sex marriage if he has a big bank account lol.
    Only kidding
    My friend is gay and he doesn't agree with it

12. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Actually the point is that ANYONE can get married because it's a legal contract that any two people can enter into, and it's unrestricted by the government and by religion because it's not under their power to control.

13. Galaxia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

To be honest, I'd be really confused if I met someone who was LGBT and didn't believe in marriage equality. It might come from me living in a more liberal area, though.

My opinion on getting rid of marriage entirely is kind of a "no". If it was changed to a "partnership" like CodeForLife says, yay, but a marriage license is really nothing more than a sheet of paper that gives you certain legal rights and the ability to say "We're married" when referring to your spouse. I really don't see the big deal about what it's called, so long as people can do it regardless of their gender or sexual orientation without getting discriminated against.

14. GayJay

I kind of have an issue with it.
    Not in the sense I disagree with it, but implications of it really.
    Like if a same sex couple want to go though ivf/ adopt ect.. Then your case of being granted to do so is a hell of a lot stronger if you are married.

I don't disagree with marriage as a whole but would personally never do it. I know same sex couples who have had to get married to increase their adoption chances.
    That just annoys me. I want a family, but I don't want to be married.
    So I kind of think if same sex marriage was kept 'traditional' then that need wouldn't be as prominent. If you couldnt get married then your chances of having a family aren't affected by this stupid check box effect.

But that's probably a selfish attitude because I ddont want to be married.

15. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, but abolishing all types of marriage would make everyone the same in the sense that no one can get married, and would therefore would make every couple equal, and technically would achieve marriage equality.

16. C P

C P

Idgaf about marriage in general, honestly; it's very overrated.

So long as we have it though, I'm obviously not against equality with it, as that's good, ...I just don't care.

Please no...even in a hypothetical sense, I hate the term 'partner' personally. It's just...no.

17. Posthuman666

I too await the revolution. :icon_wink

18. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This used to be my opinion^

However, my views of LGBT issues are under construction...

I'm basically now of the belief that love is love, and that if you aren't harming anyone then you deserve the same rights as anyone else. Gender boundaries should not restrain a loving partnership.

I think, as far as Christianity is concerned, these essays excellently sum up the two primary views dealing with gay relationships:

Side A - Proposing that God blesses same-sex marriage.
    Side B - Proposing that God calls Christians (who are gay) to lifelong celibacy.

19. dwelefan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I know someone who is gay but doesn't agree with the whole gay rights movement and thinks we need to stop trying so hard to make straights accept us because not everyone will accept us . I told him if no one was fighting for gay rights then we would be in the same position we were in 30 years ago with having to be in the closet at work, home and everywhere else for fear of getting killed

20. Lullaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't think people should be allowed to marry goats. Fucking weirdos. ;P