1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is gay love better than straight love?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DAXIII, Jul 11, 2015.

1. DAXIII

I've heard this phrase tossed around a couple of times and it kind of bothers me. To think that straight love or being straight is somehow duller or less interesting than being gay. It don't think it's a good way to build yourself up, but I hear it often enough. Does anyone else find this true, or is it just bunk?

2. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No.

My impression is that love is just a shared connection between consenting individuals. I don't think that passionate love is stronger or weaker for gay love vs straight love. :eusa_danc

However, I could see why people would say that gay love is better because "gay love" is probably considered more of a "forbidden love" at this point in society, which implies more inherent risk, adventure, and maybe openness. In my opinion, there is less potential negative risk associated with entering a straight relationship vs entering a gay relationship given society's overall beliefs these days. Does that make gay love better? No... :thumbsup:

3. sheenak

Kind of hard to answer being gay and all.

4. Yosia

Well, we can't use the term 'love is love' to support us if we are just going to bash other forms of love.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a load of nonsense. I've heard it said a few times and I've even read about it, but I've certainly not been convinced.

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. I think a lot of gays and lesbians say this in order to make themselves feel better and more superior to straight people out of jealousy that they (straight people) don't have to deal with negativity regarding whom they are attracted to. It's very childish.

7. Lyana

I don't think so. Or, should I say, not in my experience?

How can one say a type of love is inherently "better"? What does it even mean?
    It's a good thing to accept your sexuality and to love yourself, but thinking we're superior isn't going to get us anywhere.

8. AKTodd

Have never heard this before. And it's rather obviously a nonsense statement since 'love' is a subjective experience that cannot be objectively measured. It's impossible for any two people to know that they are feeling the same thing when they claim they are feeling 'love', so it's impossible to even create a standard of measurement to base such a claim on.

Meh.

Todd

9. Incognito10

I have heard people say that certain aspects and dynamics of gay relationships can be better because they're more egalitarian and not patriarchal. I have also heard that there tends to be less jealousy. Not sure if that is what is being alluded to in this thread. But love is love.

10. DAXIII

I don't think that's true per se, I think it's just the changing times. Roles are becoming more equal around the house, at least that's how it is in my house. As for the jealousy, that's just open relationships in general.

But I wouldn't mind playing the housewife role myself :slight_smile:

11. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They may be referring to the egalitarian nature of gay relationships.

12. thepandaboss

Definitely bunk. The genders and orientations in a relationship don't matter. It's the people in them that do. I've seen both abusive and amazing relationships of every orientation.

13. Posthuman666

Love is love. No love is better than another love.

14. love is love. it is no greater or worse experienced by those who are gay or straight. it just "is".

15. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

It sounds like something from the mouth of a demented militant gay-rights activist who was beaten in childhood for being gay.