1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which School Type Are You Best In?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Taly, Jul 10, 2015.

?

Which School Type Best Suits You?

1. Boarding

11.0%
  2. Public

56.2%
  3. Private

12.3%
  4. Other(Comment please? :3)

20.5%
  1. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty sure I should be homeschooled.

2. anothergirl

anothergirl Guest

I am going to a public school and I'm not super happy. The school is pretty good and we have lots of kids with great academic results, but I wished I went to private. I have friends at private school and they are lots of fun and we have lots of things to discuss about. While at my school even though the kids are smart they have super shitty personalities and have no real other interest out of the school. But, maybe it's just me... Don't know. Same happened with the other public school I went before coming to where I am now.

3. coconutrecords

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to private school for five years, then moved to state school in Year 6 (10-11 years old). I definitely prefer state school- there's much less of that judgemental atmosphere that you get with private school. Then again, I suppose it depends on your background- my family weren't extremely well off compared to others, we could only afford it because my dad worked there so we paid a much lower rate.

4. Galaxia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've only ever been in public and charter school, and the charter school was very strange for a school - I know it was meant to focus on the arts, but it literally only focused on that. It's a wonder I passed my 6th and 7th grade years.

Never been to private school, unless you count the charter school as a private school (which I guess it kind of was, given how small the student body was for the school and how non-lenient they were with your application essay). Personally, though, given my experience with charter school, I think I work better in public school.

5. GayJay

I was never exactly a rule abiding child.
    I was naughty at home and on school, so the average UK comprehensive school is good enough for me.
    I got kicked outta my first comp so o defiantly would have in private school.

I was academic when younger, but I didn't acctually show up to class and I hated every minute there. I challenged everything a could and plus I would not get along with rich kids. Be bothered trying to fit in and get along with them.

I'd be the same with my own children, they would go to the local comprehensive. Can't beat it for the experience for the child as a whole to be honest, in my opinion of course.

6. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Public would be best I think, but I have only been in a private schools, one that at orientation night, always says they are not a private school and are a Christian school (if anything, they are a brainwashing institute). I know for sure I would be bullied less at a public school, and the teachers would probably not imply I was gay as often, and I would not always be told I do not believe the truth and will go to hell (And for some reason, only two people do not know I am not Baptist and not bully me...).

And it would be great to not have my teachers say crucifiction should be done again on live national television, for murderors, thieves, and lgbt people.

#26 PerfectlyNormal, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  7. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever gone to private school, and trust me, we're not as snobby as you may think. We're just as weird as the rest of our generation. I've never really liked the idea of public school because it seems so scary, having like three hundred kids in your grade. (At least that's how it works where I live) I don't think I'd ever fit in in public school. I like private school very much. (Plus we don't where uniforms at my school!!)

8. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Absent. :wink:

Primary school was a state comprehensive, which was just about bearable. My parents tried to get me into a religious school at first only because it was said to be a good one, but the administration like a few people over the years apparently didn't like the fact my parents were living together with a child yet unmarried. Just as well they didn't accept me given my, you could say non-enthusiastic feelings towards the heavy-religious and shove-it-down-everyone's-throat-too headmistress at the regular school I did go to.

Only attended a mainstream secondary for a short time (also a state comprehensive) and that was just a total nightmare with literally worse than nothing to offer. I'm not even exaggerating; the place was one of the VERY poorly performing and was a chaotic shambles amongst both staff and students. Home-schooling was actually were I did the best, but then I did get along well with the teacher and it was only a short term thing. After that it was a PRU which; despite some of the stereotypes about those schools, I actually found had some good - if limited - quality of education to offer, and wasn't the worse environment to be in for it. Not always but certainly it was a huge improvement over the mainstream one. Who knows how I would have tolerated other types of school, although I can be quite certain I wouldn't have put up with a boarding school; not that my mother would have entertained the idea of sending me to one because she had her own bad experiences with them.

9. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I only went to public schools (elementary, middle, high, state college) in the US (California). I feel like I got a great education, though my experience may not be typical. My parents were involved somewhat which might have influenced me getting good teachers in general. Also the area we lived in had decent school and teachers that cared. I also really appreciated being with a fairly normal group of students in my classes (similar belief sets, mutual respect, middle-income, involved parents). Each year diversity increased, but yeah, it was probably still a high majority of white students with mixed heritages. I felt pretty safe at school and was given an opportunity to learn, though of course sometimes with a great deal of stress to do well. The majority of the neighborhoods/families were middle to upper middle class.

The professors in college were OK maybe 70% of the time, great 10%, and not good the remaining 20%. So, college was basically a shot in the dark on getting a good professor, but I was motivated to do well, irrespective of the professor, and at that point in my life, I could learn things on my own.

Today though, I would be really apprehensive to send my theoretical kids (no I don't have kids!) in the public school network. The neighborhood/culture/opportunity/income-status of the area of the school absolutely makes an impact on the quality of education, which although unfair, is still the case.

From an LGBT standpoint, I don't think I really had much exposure, if any, in all of my schooling.

10. robotman

To be honest boarding school sounds like it would be a whole lot of fun. I went to public school but honestly boarding school sounds like it would just be a fun place without parents and you can your friends would just get up to mischief, I have no idea if it is like this as I never went to boarding school but it sounds like it would be fun.

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Public. At my school, the majority of the teachers just sit around with their head up their ass waiting for their cadillac pension. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Oh well. The student community here is also not great. I would've rather taken online courses for all my high school credits.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I duuno.

Reform School? =p

13. YinYang

I go to a charter school, which is cross between a public school and a private school, and that seems to work for me, but I've never been to boarding school and I want to know what it's like... The idea really appeals to me; being able to live on my own with slight adult intervention seems amazing.

14. souverian

Public schools are what I'm most used to, so I guess I'd go with that.

*shrugs*

15. tscott

I've been in both public and private schools. I prefer private, because of classroom size, the fact they're more civilized, and offer a more diverse curriculum. Boarding school was what I was threatened with when my grades slipped, during my sophomore year of high school; a Jesuit military academy to be exact. When we lived in the city, it was private school, non-religious, and in the suburbs it was public school. Private school was more enjoyable and more focused on learning. I attended private schools for undergraduate and graduate school. My undergrad school had about 1,400 students. I loved it. It was very intimate. Professors knew you, small classes, you knew most of your classmates. Grad school I went to mid-sized universities about 3-4000 students. I did spend my junior year at the U. of London so I did have a big school/big city experience, but without the preparation I had at a small private college I don't think I'd have been as successful.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I graduated from a class of 20 in high school. I didn't have any friends from about 8th-12th grades at that private school and was bullied.

However, minus the creep I had as a gymn teacher and one homophobic Bible teacher, the curriculum and helpfulness of the teachers in preparation for college was top notch. My school had a very solid social studies and math program though. I breezed through intermediate algebra my freshman year at a private college. I thrived as a history minor there and majored in business and did alright.

The struggle was dealing with my attraction to guys at both places. However, I graduated high school in 2002, and most public schools would have been hostile towards same sex attractions as well.

In college, I could have gone to Oakland University a little further down the road, but everyone there was so aloof. I couldn't afford to move away, so it was kind of the small Christian college of 1,500(including night classes), a huge public school, or nothing. I thought about the community college, but I had heard of awful professors there. Sad to say, but I didn't have much of a choice. I got quite a bit of Pell Grant money too.

17. pde

pde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I went to public school through middle school and didn't have that great of an experience because I had to change school a lot and had trouble making friends/being bullied. I ended up going to a private high school where the lack of diversity was astounding. I never really cliqued with anyone there. But I think that in a public high school I would have gotten less awkward and would have made a lot more friends in addition to the two I had in middle school. I actually almost switched to public high school several times but ended up staying because the academics were better.

18. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homeschooling was always the right choice for me. I could never deal well around others, especially if I had to have classmates and strange teachers. Plus I needed the individual learning schedule, able to be flexible to my personal needs. (I wasn't your normal kid.)
    I don't regret it at all.

Otherwise, for learning (and everything else) in general... Just being alone and free to do as I wish is by faaaaaaar what works for me. I hated school itself, even though I was good at it. Being forced into such a thing though ruined it for me. I felt chained down, so naturally I rebelled.
    Ever since I graduated I have loved learning like no other! It's even something that is "fun" for me. It's crazy how much changing the way it's framed and offered does wonders for a person. :slight_smile:

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always pictured private school as a very stifling environment, where students are shielded from the unpleasant aspects of life and have no opportunity to mix with people outside of their immediate demographic. Most of them seem really boring too - so probably not for me.

I think a state school fitted my naughty behaviour more, lol.

#39 imnotreallysure, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  20. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ive been in public until this point but next year im being homeshooled