1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Youtube star Shane Dawson comes out as bisexual

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Gen

Gen

What exactly does having a Black friend have to do with using offensive Black caricatures?

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I felt it was relevant because it seemed the pictures were taken out of context. Again, he didn't mean it in any bad type of way. It was ignorance on his part, but I don't think it's something that people should still be holding against him. As for stuff being offensive, I'm really not going to turn this into a debate about that, because I'm aware that there are people who are offended by it.

3. thepandaboss

Because then instead of inviting your black friend to tacos, like good friends should, you can pull them out and say "they weren't offended so why are you?" It's the whole "My black girlfriend wrote my horribly racist jokes so it's okay to wear blackface at the Friars Club roast" (aka, the Ted Danson excuse).

4. Gen

Gen

My point was that the context of his content is irrelevant. Having a member of a minority group encouraging or participating in offensive behavior does not make it a lesser crime. He is not ignorant of the fact that he is mocking another race. He is presenting himself in that fashion and using racial stereotypes for the sake of garnering laughs. He cannot be ignorant of his purpose. If he did not think that ignorant racial stereotypes were funny, then he wouldn't center his comedy videos around them. It is not a matter of perspective. All racism is not malice or hate. You can believe that you love all people and still commit racist acts.

Additionally, satirical humor mocks society and systems of power by definition. Oppressive and offensive humor mocks groups that are already highly disadvantaged, criticized, and dehumanized. The humor that Dawson makes thousands off of is oppressive, not satirical.

5. Aldrick

Holy shit. I didn't realize he had done shit like that. Ugh.

6. Lyana

Never heard of Shane, but that is one good, touching video. It hit me harder than Ingrid's.

7. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You mean his friend Shanna who comedy concise of calling her fans mcnigglets, letting her friend (Shane) call her a nigger and monkey for comedy, and playing the starring role of Harriet Tubman where she made fun of the rape and enslaved of black women... :dry:.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2015 at 08:13 AM ----------

I unsubscribed from Shana a while ago.

8. candyjiru

I don't know much about him except seeing him a little on youtubers react, so I'm sad that he's been kind of a racist ahole... sigh...

But I watched his coming out video without knowing about him, and it was really beautiful... his life reminded me a lot of mine, except that I'm still in the closet and depressed... sigh. The last two and a half minutes were especially poignant to me... so, congratulations to him for coming out and hopefully he'll grow up with regards to all the bad things he's done in the name of "comedy" that the people above me have mentioned, and be a wonderful and happy adult ^.^

9. Simple Thoughts

I wouldn't consider Shane Dawnson Racist personally.

I think what he did with the whole 'black face' situation was about shock value. He wears blackface and his view count triples on youtube and that translates to more ad revenue which means more money for him.

Controversy sells.

He's a douchebag uncaring jaded asshole not a racist.

10. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so relatable. Where was this video a couple months ago when I really needed it…

11. Simple Thoughts

Marriage equality hadn't happened yet so he didn't have anything to ride off of for a heightened view count.

I believe the video may well be honest, but I also believe the timing is not coincidental.

It's not immediately following marriage equality which makes it less suspect, but at the same time it's close enough to when the court ruling happened that the subject was still on everyone's mind.

Add in a dash of the behavior I've seen of Shane Dawson over the years and all signs point to "Targeted release date"

12. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    Regardless of orientation I still think he's a dick

13. souverian

Pretty sure he's been trying to recover from past dickishness and has made several apologies.

This is the extent of my knowledge, don't quote me on this.

14. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah and I guess if he's been abused and had to deal with depression and such it would be a factor, so if that's the case I hope he's doing better and is happy.
    The video stopped loading half way through though so I hope it ends happy.

15. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Very moving video. I'm proud of him for coming out, although it still doesn't excuse all the bad things he has said and done in the past.