People writing their genitalia under "gender"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mothzi, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    the context is completely different. pronouns are subjective and a personal choice and it's perfectly reasonable to feel annoyed or offended if someone refuses to use your chosen pronouns. that would be absolutely inconsiderate and rude.

being offended that people have particular genitals and choose to acknowledge them is projecting your own insecurities and stifling their self expression and celebration of what they are happy to have been born with. it's paranoid to assume that someone who likes what they have is by proxy eyeing trans folk and disregarding their gender, and controlling to expect them not to express it.

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2015 at 05:28 PM ----------

did we just start playing the my pain is bigger than yours game? wow.

2. Im Hazel

And, egogender is a word for where you don't identify with any gender identities - you are your own thing, and you have no words for it. Like an unclassifiable gender, or a "just me" gender.

It's not. It's rude to say that a penis instantly makes you male, and that a penis is a requirement for being male. Which are both implied by that. It is also intersex erasure - people can be cis-bio male with no penis, or cis-bio female with a penis. (Due to having an "unaturally" large "penis-reasembling" clitorus or similar, which is reconstructed to a penis at birth.) Also, I (and others) am offended, therefore it is rude. It just is. I mean, you could be offended at anything, but something like this is just bound to be offensive. Just look at it. Plus, you ignore the part where I said it makes no sense. Penis =/= male. Not the same word, not the same thing. Not all males even have a penis.

But if you are offending people, then say it in a non-offensive way. If I said "I suck dick" as my gender, that would offensive, because it is heteronormative. This is the same thing!

That is exactly what I didn't mean, and not what I said. "Agender" is a label, "penis" is a body part. By m reasoning, you can identify as anything you want, but an inanimate object is not a gender, especially if it implies that you need a penis to be male (and other stuff, just read above and Yael's posts.) I don't really want to step on other's toes in this argument, so some things I haven't said. That's because I said it earlier, or that someone else has said it.

3. MetalRice

I've never had a problem with it; but I can see why some trans folks might.

4. Im Hazel

Nope, nope, nope. I didn't say you don't suffer. I just said that you don't suffer *this*. And I have attempted suicide too, and so have many other people, here. I just don't talk about it, because even here I'm ashamed. So, this is not pretentious. This is misread, apparently.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    No it isn't, you're warping the statement. What she meant was obviously that you don't have to suffer the way we do, and you don't understand.
    And not understanding is okay. How would you know, really?
    But when we ask you specifically that "Please, sir, your identification there makes me and my buddies here rather uncomfortable, perhaps even sad. Could you set it to "male" or "dude" or something instead?", you don't have to shove it in our faces and say no because f*ck PC.

You don't struggle with suicida thoughts because of your gear... it might be hard to empathize, but if you could try a little or at least show some respect, that'd be pretty nice...

6. Foz

Foz Guest

How on earth is saying "I have a penis and I quite like it" offensive?

This put the special in special snowflake.

7. Cider

This thread hurts my brain. It's almost has confusing and vicious as the YouTube comment section on a Wednesday.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think even saying I'm male is offensive so from now on I'm a remote control. :slight_smile:

9. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Again, the comparison was not made to equate the two actions in a literal sense. I was trying to point out that it might seem like a harmless act of self expression to you but to others the statement is hurtful which is why this thread even exists. No single person is being over sensitive here, it's a simple truth that the statement is offensive to many here as a result of the unique difficulties faced by the trans community and as such it's distasteful to write "I have a penis" as your gender...

I can just as well say that it indicates an insecurity in your gender to say that you have a penis in the same way that Phalange did. Suddenly the statement becomes an act of insecurity instead of some sort of pride filled celebration of gender...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.