1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my parents about my depression when I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kodo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Soon I'll be coming out to my parents, via letter, as transgender.

In my letter, I hesitated to mention things like my asexuality/pansexuality or the fact that I have struggled with depression (often severe) for 3 years. These facts are important, but I didn't think they belonged in a trans coming out letter, as that information alone will be enough to digest at once.

But still a part of me thinks they should know. I'm naturally a very detached and withdrawn person, and I never talk about my "feelings" to anyone (now being the exception). And they've learned not to ask. However, the reality is that I have suffered - a lot - and mostly due to me being transgender and/or isolated. It would be ridiculous for me to continue insisting to myself that I need no support when the opposite is evident.

As I mentioned, my depression has at times become severe. And it isn't going away. It's my hope that once I tell them I'm trans some of the weight will be lifted off me. Unless their reaction is horrible, which may have the opposite effect and make me feel even more like crap.

On the flipside, there is not much my parents would even be able to do if they knew. Aside from offering their own personal support, which is already hard enough due to family circumstances, we do not have the money for me to get therapy or counseling. Unless there was some other way I could get help for free...

I don't really know what to do here. For a long time I have tried to solve my own problems, but that isn't really working anymore. I want to tell someone in order to get help but I don't know how. I'm afraid that telling my parents about my depression will just make them more upset and worried than they already will be from the transgender news.

Any advice is appreciated.

-Peter-

2. ChaoticMind

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    In short, yes. Tell them about your depression. Don't let them find out from someone else (I made that mistake, and it wasn't very nice). Let them know that it's severe, and that you've been dealing with it for three years, and that you need some form of help. Even their support might make a difference. Also, try to find depression helplines in your country.
    However, I see your point about digesting information. Maybe write the letter and wait for a response, then if you feel like they will still support you, then tell them about your depression.

It's not easy having depression. Keep your head up, put a smile on, and stay positive. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but you will be okay. Good luck, and I wish you all the best.