1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can virgins wear tampons?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LesbianThrasher, Jul 4, 2015.

1. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I asked my mom if I could try tampons because I heard that they're much better than pads and she said that I couldn't because I was still a virgin. I don't know anything about that but I was wondering if it's true?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell your mother that she is very misinformed. That's not true at all, and any person who is going through menstruation can use a tampon (there's a reason they have tampons for teenagers and up) unless there's an actual medical reason that they can't. Virginity has nothing to do with it.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a virgin who has been using tampons for years now, I can personally vouch.

4. choirsmash

If not, I'm so screwed lol
    I've heard the myth, but it's not true
    What would happen if a virgin wore a tampon? Would niagara falls pour out of their vagina? Isn't that what the tampon is stopping anyway?

5. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course they can but be warned: it hurts like hell.

6. Lyana

Depends, XenaxGabby. I suppose it might for some women (my mother still feels uncomfortable wearing tampons, and she's obviously not a virgin), but it doesn't have to. I was using tampons for years before I "lost" my virginity. It never hurt; I never felt anything. Still using tampons, even though no penis has ever been inside me.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't see how this has to do anything. She's either saying this because she's assuming It'll hurt and tear apart the hymen (not always true, especially if you have a thin one) or she's saying this because she thinks you won't be a virgin anymore, which is COMPLETELY false.

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe it was just me then. I've tried using tampons a few times and it did not go well!

9. suninthesky

You can use tampons. They feel fine to me. Alternatives are pads or a menstrual cup.

10. Cider

Well, I'm not a girl, but I'm assuming yes.

11. Nelly1

Out Status:
    Some people
    What does she want you to use? One of those belts? I think it's perfectly fine; I'm 15, of course a virgin, and my mum is always saying to me that I should use tampons(I want to but I'm a bit freaked out by them...)

12. Lindsey23

When I first started using them I found that the ones with plastic applicators were much easier to use. The ones with cardboard applicators did hurt me. Maybe try another brand?

13. MarchenKillian

Yes they can.

14. siriuslypadfoot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a virgin, but haven't had a penis inside me either. I wear tampons just fine. It took me a really /really/ long time to get used to them and I'm kind of salty I waited so long because I like so much better than pads. I'd just experiment with them if I were you, especially if you haven't done a lot of vaginal exploring before.

15. BelleFromHell

I wore one for the first time a few weeks ago. It was uncomfortable as hell, and it took me forever to get it in, but I don't feel any less virgin-y than before.

I've stuck a finger up there before, so if sticking anything up there really counted as "virginity loss," I would have lost it ages ago.

16. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course you're able to wear them. Whether you'll want to, is another matter. I've only used pads, as, I don't like anything inserted in me.

17. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used Tampax Pearl Lites which has the plastic applicator. Tampons are are not for me. I have no desire to ever try them again.

18. Keahi

See also: Go Ask Alice (which you can safely share with your mom).

19. cheerlesbo

cheerlesbo Guest

Wow sorry but I see misconceptions like the ones in the replies every single time there's a period-related question. The idea that the hymen covers the entire opening of the vagina is just ridiculous. How can virgins have periods then? How would the blood come out? In reality, the hymen has a hole in it (which is the vaginal opening) which expands when you are turned on and/or relaxed. Virgins can absolutely wear tampons, I am a virgin and I've used them for about 4 years now. The first time you put one in, it may hurt. Personally, I don't use the applicators they come with and prefer to just use my hands. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, but I would recommend using just your hand to put it in, at least the first time you use one. What also may help is masturbating a little with your clit, so that you are more turned on and your vagina will be less tight and more relaxed, which reduces painful friction.

20. FlashLotus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a virgin and I do wear tampons but only to go swimming or play underwater hockey because I don't find them the most comfortable to put in.