1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Nam

Why is Mark Zuck such a fucking douche?!

They were criticized for this before, and I thought they learned their god damned lesson.

3. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Nam

really?! like mother f*****g really?! i mean.. like.. wow! how stupid and ignorant can these people be? transgender people go by their perferred genders name to counter act dysphoria, online bullies, ect. then this mark guy has to ban one of our fellow women. like.. *facepalm*

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

For being such an "accepting" company, Facebook is really starting to sound very transphobic. This real name rule is complete bullshit as well, especially since there are so many trolls who don't use their real names, yet they're never cracked down upon. This rule only goes to persecute transgender people, drag queens/kings, victims of sexual violence who change their names to avoid their rapists/their family and friends, and many other people such as feminists that don't use their real name so that men's rights activists cannot track them down in real life.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I still don't really understand how they even enforce this rule. I don't use my legal name on Facebook because I don't give a flying fuck about getting banned by them, none of this makes any sense in the first place

6. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wow, I have a much more unrealistic name on my public Facebook account than hers and so do several of my family members and we've had those fake names for yeeeeears! That's not even counting my private Facebook that has my preferred name... >.> wtf seriously, I'm pretty tempted to close out my accounts...

7. antibinary

It also happened to Laurie Penny who was using an alias to hide from trolls. Facebook has a problem it needs to sort out.

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2015 at 10:50 AM ----------

This is the best response to Facebook's problem I've seen.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I really don't think facebook is trying to target transgendered individuals in particular. However, it's a byproduct of their shitty rule. I feel like the rule is probably to make their website seem more "legit" (the only website that makes people use this real name ZOMG), or they are somehow making money with the information they collect.

I don't technically use my real name. I have my last name as my middle and last initial (so two letters), which I'm not even sure if that would count. Either way, if facebook tried to ban me, I would use my ID to make a real account, grab my photos and log my history (I like having record -- it's like a diary -- and then delete my account and never look back. If I don't want to be found for WHATEVER reason (for example, by prospective employers), why should I have to use my real name? I don't need all my online activity being immediately matched to my real life. People go online to escape and have a place with the freedom anonymity affords them.

Anyways, I could go on, but basically, as others have said, this is a lame rule. It disproportionately affects really transgenders, people with odd names, and those trying to hide from others for safety reasons. I don't see how it makes anyone more safe. As long as your name looks legit and nobody reports you, nothing happens! Either they make everyone present IDs upon signing up (gross, wouldn't use), or they don't require them of anyone... Seems like a miserable failure of a rule that facebook cant admit it or somehow they make money off it ^^

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Ugh facebook. :dry: