Resume noob, please help... ;<;

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BluhImCourtney, Jul 2, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, so I'm just getting ready to apply for my first job, and then I realized I needed to write a resume separate from applications online.

Crap. ._.

So I looked up how to do this... it's intimidating and makes me want to cry. ._.

Experience? I didn't know this was that kind of job...

Qualifications? I'm a f*cking 17 year old kid just going into her last year of high school, what qualifications? ;<;

And then the name... my legal name or the one I identify by? Because I'll be presenting in probably a month or two. ._.

The above were just some "complaints" if you could call them that, as the title suggests, I am a total noob. ._.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there somebody at your school that can help you out? In Ontario we have Civics and Career teachers (highschool), and at my university there are Employment advisers. An adviser at my university REALLY helped me out.

For Experience I'd put any experience you have, newspaper routes whatever. If you any volunteer experience I'd put that down too.

Hopefully somebody with better advise will come along ^.^

3. and323

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello!

What kind of job are you looking to use the resume for? If it's for a starting job, which I assume it is since you're 17 and still in high school, qualifications and experience isn't going to be as much of an important factor. However like the above poster said, put anything and everything you can think of in those sections, they say resumes are looked at for about 6 seconds each to determine if the person is legit enough.

Make sure you put what you believe to be most important up top or have it stand out the most. Try to fit it all on one page and avoid white space.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you either, but try to tailor the resume to the job you're applying for. A general resume will work for most jobs, but when you begin to focus on more of a career path, creating a customized resume with its areas focused on that career path will win you some brownie points. For example, I recently had to create a resume to apply for some jobs with my newly acquired mass media degree (ew, adulthood) and created sections specifically for it that I wouldn't put on a general resume (including professional/freelance works, creative works, etc). I even made my own nifty logo in Photoshop using my initials to catch the eye of whomever is reading it.

As for the name, I'm not sure what advice to give about that. My instinct would be to give them the one you were legally given for professional purposes and tell them your preferred once you are hired, but I've never had to be in that situation before and clearly I am no HR representative so my input isn't the most reliable.

Overall, with your age and this assumingly being a starting job, your resume isn't going to be the most important deciding factor in the hiring process. However if you DO get the job, it'll be a good something to add to the experience section :wink:

#3 and323, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  4. BluhImCourtney

Currently I'm typing one up for a job at a local link in a restaurant chain, either going for Welcomer/Greeter or Server. Those seem like the jobs there that require the least amount of experience, and I don't think they had a washer position open. ._.

And this isn't much to add on to the topic, but just thought I'd put it here, cause I made me happy...

When my dad was talking me through it, he said at one point, "If you're applying to be a hostess, then *lists stuff to put*"

I was just surprised he used the female equivalent rather than the easier to say male "host". ._. Maybe I should post this in Small Victories... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

... that is, he did that after tapping my computer screen, thinking it was an iPad.

*sigh* Old people are so silly with technology sometimes... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm in fast food, and things employers in the hospitality industry are looking for, are commitment, team cooperation, time management, etc. Perhaps for the CV for your first job, have a skills section, or personal qualities. Or all of them. If you've ever babysat, that shows responsibility. Ever played a sport? Teamwork. Leadership might be another skill you have :slight_smile: think about what you've done, and what skills you had to apply in those situations. Put them on the CV (I got my first job at 17, too. Been there three years today).

Qualifications? Well, on my CV, I said I was currently studying [subjects] at [school], and here, our last three years of highschool had qualification type things, so I included those, and what subjects they were in :slight_smile:. If you have a first aid certificate, you can include that, or any extra curricular activities that give a qualification, those are valid too.

As for name, I'd go with and323's advice - apply with your legal name, as the company will need that if they hire you (assuming same laws apply there as in nz). You can include the name you go by in brackets, or just indicate your preferred name at an interview or when hired, if you get the job.

Again, while and323's advice about a tailored resume is good, I wouldn't worry about it too much while you're still in high school looking for your first job. Obviously if there's something more relevant to what you're applying for, include that over something less relevant.

And if the formatting is daunting, there are templates and examples online, and if you have Microsoft office, it has built in templates, that you can put your information in.

I hope all this helps! If it starts feeling too much, walk away from the computer for 5-10 minutes, stretch your legs, have a glass of water. You'll write a better resume if you aren't stressed about it. And remember to breathe :slight_smile:

I just realised I used "CV" a lot - its the same thing as a resume. Stands for "curriculum vitae". Unsure if you guys use that term over there :slight_smile:

#5 Fairybread, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015