1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your family/friends think we're living in the end times?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Driftr

How do you deal with it? Do you believe that we're living in the (biblical) end times too? Does it make you more scared of accepting who you are or does it not phase you?

I know my mom is having a field day with the end times after the SCOTUS ruling on friday. But that doesn't phase me because I'm an atheist. Lately I haven't really tried to hide my skepticism in religion to my mom and I just bring up some counter-arguments when she tries to indoctrinate me without trying to sound too emotionally invested.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My personal views
    I hear plenty of fundy anti-gay stuff all the time. I don't think we are living in the last days. I believe in the idea of the anti-christ personally, but I don't think it is Obama or anyone that will live within our lifetimes. Although I am conservative than most anyone here, I do not read Revelation literally as there are tons of metaphors if you pick it apart chapter by chapter. I took a class in it from a very balanced professor. I love the Lord and only He can judge me. :slight_smile:

Because this country has freedom of religion, we MUST support marriage for all. Even if I believed the homophobic mindset, the Bible tells us to render to Caesar what is Caesar's. Many other young Christian friends of mine have reached this same conclusion, and they are not LGBT. Things are changing, albeit slowly.

3. Candace

My mom surprisingly is happy that all of this happened on Friday.

In the meantime, my folks in Virginia are commenting on how twisted America is becoming, whatever that means. I'm not looking forward to have them visit for my birthday on August 1st and have this conversation, let's just put it at that. They live in a valley in Virginia and I'm sure that 2015 never quite made its way over the mountains and it's still 1962 there....

4. AlamoCity

When it comes to religion, my family basically was/is a hodgepodge (Jehovah's Witnesses, Pentecostal, Evangelical). My grandparents were Jehovah's Witnesses (and parents, by birth) and it really shaped my life. My grandparents were missionaries and elders (grandfather was elder and also served on regional boards; only men can hold authority). They were diehard believers that the End Times were here.

To this day I cannot eat a sloppy joe. How is that? because when I was in first grade I overheard my grandmother tell my cousin that WWIII was gonna start and that the world was gonna end soon. I got sick to my stomach. That day, I had eaten a sloppy joe at school. It didn't sit well. Never had one since because I associated it with. My mom has basically said it would have been better for my health if I had been raised without knowing that religion because of how it affected my childhood. One problem was that I was very intellectually developed at an early age and able to comprehend topics, but didn't have the necessary emotional maturity to process it. While kids my age would normally listen to something and forget about it, I would process it over and over again and analyze every word. At the same time, it also helped me reach the conclusion that I didn't want to be a part of certain religions. Haven't been to a Jehovah's Witness service in a while, but I'd like to go and see how they're taking the SCOTUS ruling. I'd wager they say it's a sign of how close we are to the End Times because the Devil is truly deceiving humanity.

I'd like to consider myself an agnostic unaffiliated Christian. Should God exist and he doesn't care that I'm gay, GREAT. Should he hate me because of it and want to kill me because of it, GOOD; I don't want to serve such a god.

I should add that in the past years or so my family has done a 180 and become increasingly secular. The death of my grandparents basically ended their religious monopoly on the family.

5. guitar

My parents have no belief in the end times.

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

We've been living in the "end of times" for centuries. For being the end of the world, it's sure taking a hell of a long time, and I've got stuff to get done.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol yeah, for thousands of years people have believed the end is nigh. I guess it could be a split second to an immortal God but I'm more inclined to believe we will get to keep our planet for a good while longer, unless we destroy ourselves at least.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all, nor do my folks.

None of us believe in a god.

But it baffles me, the end-timers, and how such weird superstions still live on, in this day and age. I do try to understand, and see the psychological appeal, but I think it's an unhelahty belief system.

9. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, man. I know exactly where you're coming from. Atheist born to fundamentalists here.

I hear this BS from my Dad all the time. Never ceases to drive me nuts, especially when he continues to hound me about evolution *after* he already learned that I'm an atheist.

Even though it annoys me, I kind of feel sorry for him. I remember believing that same garbage and it is extremely stressful - especially when nobody else seems to care. Since I thought Jesus and his mythical golden staircase was endgame, I never quite realized just how much the idea of end-times freaked me out.

For elderly people like my grandma, I think end times fears are doubly worse because it makes them worry about younger generations. She's tried to have a few heart-to-hearts with me to bring me back into the fold. Again, this is annoying, but I understand why she does it - she thinks she's running out of time to save my soul from eternal damnation. And when you put it that way - full fiery stakes and all - you can be a little more forgiving when you get side-eye for not saying grace.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think anybody in my immediate family believes in the end of times. Maybe a few people on my dad side do though :lol:

11. Formality

Maybe the end times for religion lol.

Honestly though I think human kind will prevail whatever happens to us unless a fucking laser beam from space was to incinerate the earth. My family would agree with me on that, I'm sure of.

12. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, in 2013, my teachers said the world would end by July the next year.

13. timo

I don't have any family or friends believing in some end of times, and if someone did believe this, I'm not sure I could ever take them serious again.

14. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well back when i was a full force penacostal i belived it but i knew deep down inside that well it was fake because
    1. i think god is a blunder created by mankind to "save" themselves from these so called "sins" that their fake religion made up
    2. for all we know some person on drugs a long time ago could have seen a halucination and wrote a book on it.
    3. if god is real, i dont want to praise him for damnating all of my fellow lgbt people an i will gladly die and go to hell if it means doing what i like.

15. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, we did just legalize gay marriage nation-wide. That is a death knell for the world. Bring on the end times :eusa_danc

16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, that's pretty much my parent's view.

The end of the world will happen when it is supposed to. Christians need to stop discounting everything with "Oh well, the world will end in a few years anyway." You cannot possibly know or predict when the end times will happen.

As long as you live every day to the fullest and do what you know is right, everything will be okay.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never met anyone who thinks we are living in end times. What a strange thing to think.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope not really. The only people who always mentioned it was my boyfriend's crazy parents who really just said to try to convince him to change his ways before he end up in hell. Oh the horrors they are going through now that he is deceased but in all fairness i hope they find peace that he is in heaven. But i know with all of heart that he is and the end times are not coming anytime soon.

19. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Paul of Tarsus, the author of half the New Testament, thought the world was going to end during his lifetime in the 1st century AD. There's evidence all over the New Testament that he thought this, especially when he told people it was better if they didn't get married (because the world was ending soon and marriage was a distraction). He began to change his tune a bit in his later works when he was still alive and the world hadn't yet ended. And here we are 2000 years later...

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The human race might disappear but Earth will continue to exist regardless. The world will end in 5 billion years when the sun enters its red giant phase and our planet is gobbled up.