1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I fell in love with my teacher and he likes me back

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SkeletalQuixoti, Jun 29, 2015.

?

Should I say yes?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2015.
  1. No

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Maybe

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. It's risky

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SkeletalQuixoti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Help? Okay, so... I am quite drunk now( I had to drink so I was able to post this) and I am not a nattive speaker so if I don't make sense I apologize. I am 18 and I graduated and I had a crush on my English teacher. So I came out to him. And he told me he likes me too.

Everything started when I was like 16 (that's when we moved where I live now. No, it's not London, it's in US. but that's where he's coming from) and I heard for the first time about optional English Grammar and Literature classes. Knowing that I didn't speak the language well(I still don't) I went to that class. When I entered the class the teacher was already in and he was speaking on the phone. He had this deep british accent and he told us to call him James, which is his first name and that he is 25. I was mesmerised by him and I knew I had a crush on him. After a year of these classes I haven't seen him all summer but every time I tought about him there was that ache in my chest an I messed him dearly.
    When I came back to school I found out that he was now our english teacher. I had English a lot of times so I got to see him more but he still won't notice me. I was really quiet and shy so I wasn't really one of those people you notice...Anyway, after the year passed and I still had that stupid crush on him I realized it might be more. Like love. I know you all think that you can't love a person if you don't know the well enough or something like that but he is very open with us so I know some things about him. When I realized I actually love him that's when everything started to go really bad. My grades went to hell, I started to miss classes and come just at his or not show up at home for days... I started smoking. And then my lovely angel of a sister helped pe out of the mess I created and she is the first person I came out at... She told me to tell him becaue it would be easier for me ( she was sure he would refuse me and I woill get back to what I used to do before) and I did.
    One day I arrived earlier in class, he was grading something, I closed the door and I told him that I liked him,a lot. After I finished my speech, sputtering, stuttering and saying stuff that made no sense I looked up (from my sneakers) at his face and I saw him smiling with that beautiful smile of his that made my whole world spin. And he said that he liked me to and that there was something that made him feel attracted to me. After that we talked about school stuff but I noticed the way he would come closer to me or smile at me more or brush his arms, shoulders or hands on (of? ) my body... The next day the class was no different so I tought that maybe he changed his mind or he was disgusted or that I imagined or I dreamed that I told him. But at the end of the class he asked me to stay . So I did. And we talked, like talked, he asked me stuff about my personal life and I asked about his and things... And we did that for a lot of times only that he won't ask me to remain, I would come by myself in his office. When people asked he said I am doing extra work and stuff. I really love him and I want a relationship with him and he even asked me out, like he asked ME, (me!) out on a date. Since I graduated and he is no longer my teacher will an open relationship with him affect us? Because I feel really good around him, I am confortable and I feel like... I don't know like I belong next to him and stuff...Should I go out with him? I think I will stop here beacause I make no sense I don't even understand what I said...

2. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not the best person to confide to about these things. (Since I'm 16 myself)

But if he isn't your teacher anymore; technically it wouldn't seem so 'weird' to the law or anything.

Personally; I'm attracted to older men. So I can understand your feelings toward someone who is more mature than yourself.

Age honestly doesn't really matter much when it comes to relationships - at least in my opinion.

As long as you are safe about what you're doing - then I see no problem with you having a relationship with him.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Age is NOT just a number.

It's incredibly inappropriate for your teacher to be asking you out. Even though he isn't your teacher any more, there's still a dynamic of power and control, and he's in a very, very different place in life than you are.

The relationship cannot be anything but imbalanced, and it will be incredibly unhealthy for you.

On the contrary, rather than going out with him, you should be reporting him to your school principal; the fact that his boundaries are so sloppy that he would ask a student (former or current) on a date is a really good indication that at best he needs serious help, and at worst he should not be teaching.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    aww, darling, that's a really sweet story!

there's nothing wrong about it. follow your heart!

I say go for it!

the only thing I might add, which you can disregard if you think he would never do that, is don't let him take advantage of you since you're younger. some older people do that. I don't know him though, you do.

good luck! <3

EDIT: Okay, differnet perspectives here^. I might emphasize then, if you get involved with him, listen to your brain every once in a while and see if he's legit or not...

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like in any relationship, be careful and always try to see if he is being serious or if he just wants you as a toy. If he is serious, great, but it's best to be careful and analyze things carefully.

Age may be a problem, especially because both of you are in different stages of life, but that doesn't mean a relationship will fail, or that it will be unhealthy. Sure, the chances are greater than if both of you had the same age, but it doesn't mean it can't work.

@Chip: I understand your concerns, but i find it really offensive that you think he shouldn't be teaching just because he asked a person (that isn't even his student anymore) out.

Yes, a teacher needs to be careful about this, but that doesn't mean he can't have a relationship with anyone that is related to his school. He didn't even make the first move. If the OP changed his mind about this, he could simply say "no" and keep away from the teacher, there is no need to report him unless he is doing something wrong, like stalking the OP.

One of my teachers is married to a person that was his student in the past. They are really happy together, and i can't see why the hell she would report him for having a relationship with a former student, or that he shouldn't be teaching because "his bounderies are sloppy".

Again: Age is important, and things may be risky here, so be careful and use your brain. But, as long as you keep things slow and carefully, i don't think i see a problem here.

6. siriuslypadfoot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mentined you were in the US, you should find out the age of conset before doing anything.

In this scenario - I really wouldn't recommend it. Especially not if you've just graduated.

If he was twenty-five when you were sixteen and you've graduated, he should be ~twenty-seven know. You need to ask yourself - why is a twenty-seven year old asking out a teenager? That seems like a red flag for me. In some situations, age is just a number, but with almost a ten year age gap and the power differential between the two of you, it's a huge cause for concern.

@Chrio, I totally agree with Chip. There are ethics that teachers need to uphold. Dating a student (or a recent ex-student) is highly inappropriate. I don't think this teacher needs to be reported, but it is highly unprofessional behavior and he should know better, both as an educator and as an adult. I don't know what the code of conduct is at this particular district, but I would be shocked if this was actually acceptable behavior.

@OP - give it some more time. If this is truly love and is meant to be, give it a few years and get some distance. Grow up a little more and get on the same level as your teacher. It truly is shocking to me that an adult who has graduated from college and is well-established in his career would be willing to date a recent high school graduate. As a recent high school graduate, I was unwililng to date a recent high school graduate (and I still am).

Tread with caution.

7. Comhionannas

I agree 100% with chip, this is incredibly inappropriate. Please, please be very careful.

8. aguynamednick

i say follow your heart and thats why we are all here we followed our hearts and became LGBT or alternate gender identity.

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2015 at 02:15 PM ----------

or at least we realized we are

9. BiPenguin

When it comes to the teacher/student relationship, I am old school in that it should be kept professional as a protection for both sides. Protection for the teacher against a student who may seek revenge after a nasty break up and destroy the teacher's career. Protection for the student who may suffer low marks to punish them post bad break up.

Your life though.

10. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seconded. Not only is it true that you would be on unequal footing, but it is also very likely that he is seeking this relationship from you for that very reason.

Ask yourself - why isn't he interested in someone his own age?

11. SkeletalQuixoti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you guys for sharing your opinions. I noticed that someone said something about him grading me lower or something like that... Well from next year I am going to college so he will not be teacher anymore, and the only contact, if there would be any might be if we sart dating. I don't plan to engage in anything that contains us naked just yet. But the thing is that now I am 18 and in Europe, where I come from, this is the age where you are legally mature or a grown-up.(or however it is called)Is is different here? I heard something about the age of 21 but I ignored it. Anyway he isn't my teacher anymore? I tought that if he is not my teacher then...you know.

12. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, I think everyone was a bit confused because your profile says 16.

Even then though, I would encourage you to be careful. He met you in a context in which he had control over you and was attracted to you in that same context.

I too have a weakness for older men/women and have had a few intense crushes myself on instructors, so I get it. I really do. It's just that, making sure that you are treated with respect by someone your own age can be challenge enough - but doubly so with someone older who has had authority over you.

Is there any one you two both know who you can trust and who would be able to give you advice on this? They may be able to hone in on his motives more than you can by being a more objective third party.

13. lettuce

Being mostly in the closet really complicates things. It means that not many people will know about the relationship if it does take a bad turn and this seems like the kind of thing you'll need outside support with. It also puts James in a position of power over you and that can definitely mess up the balance of the relationship.

Are you only out to your sister? Is there anybody else you can tell? If you can, I think you should try and come out to them or find some more personal support before you pursue a relationship with this guy.

Outside of that I really don't know what to think. At the end of the day you know the most about this situation. Just be careful and do what you think is right. (*hug*)

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The legal age of consent isn't the issue. It is whether or not the relationship would be emotionally healthy... and it wouldn't. There's no way that a relationship with someone 18 and someone old enough to be your teacher (presumably mid-20s or older) is going to be healthy, and the very fact he's willing to consider it is a clear indication that he has shitty boundaries... which, in turn, means he's not an emotionally healthy person.

As one of the other posters said... a normal, emotionally healthy person in his mid-20s or older who is responsible for the well-being and education of impressionable teens wouldn't be interested in one of his students. To make it all the more clear... A teacher has NO BUSINESS thinking of his or her students in a romantic manner. It's just... beyond fucked up. If I knew who the guy was, I'd report him myself, because he has no business being in a classroom if he's doing anything other than politely declining your advances.

So... please do yourself a favor. Tell him you aren't interested, go on to college, and find a cute guy you like who's closer to your own age, who you don't have a history of an imbalanced relationship with. Trust me, you'll be a lot happier.

15. InnaArkane

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey honey, I see around here a lot of dissaproving opinions, but sweetheart, I am 25 and my girlfriend is 34, and I am happy. I don't see why you sholdn't be happy with him. Go out with him honey and see if he's worth the risk or not. I've seen a lot of relationships like yours and it doesn't mean you'll be unhappy with him, and for me honey the age is not important and he doesn't seem that old, I mean, it's only 10 years. I always was too mature for my own age and I was ( and I am) attracted to older women or men because they seem closer to me. It's risky, yes, but what if? Honey, that's the question: WHAT IF? If you refuse then won't you be curious what would've happen if you said yes? He seem open minded and he seems to get really well along with his students which is great! I think you shoud say yes and get to know him better but you should still be alert. I wish you luck and happines. I hope he is what you want!

16. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am also attracted to older people.

IMO though, the age difference here deserves greater consideration than normal because of how they originally met, and also perhaps because this sounds like his first relationship period. It's the age gap + power differential that is bothering me the most here.

At the very least, I think he needs to exercise some caution and pay attention to this guy's motives.

17. SkeletalQuixoti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My profile said 16 because I am afraid to give any little thing away, I don't want anyone to know who I am and ... I had him as a teacher for 3 years and we talked, after I came out to him, for around 3 moths give or take a week or two. I don't plan on anything serious because it's just the first date... but I was wondering if I should give it a shot, because I feel like this date makes everything feel real. Like, untill now it was a fantasy or a dream and now it's real..I don't know how to explain. Also, going out means that other people will see us and find out about us, so it's kind of like a coming out... That's something i didn't think about till now... I won't, of course, do anything stupid but meeting and spending time with him outside school is... just, i have no words.
    I don't think he has sloppy boundaries because he likes a teenager. i know I always was too mature for my age( the reason is not important) and most people from my friend group are much older than me because I think people my are ... messy, sloppy, childish, foolish and too...i don't know, dreamy?. I find him so attractive because he is experimented, he knows what he wants from life, and he is not the first older person I am attracted to but he is the first that makes me have so strong feelings towards him. My sister keeps telling me to give it a shot but I am still confused...

18. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Maybe you could start by being honest with him? Maybe call and talk to him on the phone? Explain that you don't want to rush anything and want to take things slow.

And well, if things don't go well, that's life...

General piece of advice whether you choose to go ahead with it or not, try to go with your brain rather than feelings, even if your feelings are really strong and you have to force yourself to use your brain...
    Be mature and figure out the situation and everything.
    Best case scenario, you can be together and you can be happy or you can be friends and still be happy. Worst case he's up to no good.
    So yeah don't let your guard down but if you want to go for it, sure.

19. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something I would be concerned about is how he didn't seem to struggle with having feelings for you. Or did he? Having feelings for a student is something most would consider inappropriate. They're overstepping boundaries.

I mean, I've seen the person I have feelings for struggle for months with this, because she knows it's wrong. She didn't just jump at the first opportunity. Your teacher, however, did confess his feelings for you right after you did, while you were still student-teacher.

I would be careful, as he might take advantage of you. This thing between you two might not mean nearly as much to him as it does to you.

Just be careful, okay?

20. SkeletalQuixoti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well he didn't really confessed his feelings, because he doesn't really has feelings for me, he thinks I am attractive and he likes me, and yes he know stuff about me, so after I finally graduated he said we should give it a go... I already talked to him about rushing and stuff and he said it's okay. I rarely speak with him on the phone(usually on my sister's phone) because I am afraid my parents could hear me... I like to think that if he was up to no good he would have taken the oportunity when we were alone in his office with almost no one in school, or just take me to his home and finish it... But instead he asked me on a date, like a first date you know... And I don't see why everybody seems to think I am going to f* him from the first date...:tears: I know my situation is weird but I am not ... "easy"...