1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you delete a Facebook friend if they were against gay rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 26, 2015.

?

Would you deleted a Facebook friend for being anti gay?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. It Depends

64 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. No

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It would depend on how outspoken they were. A few Christian friends deleted me, and while I can't say it's the reason for doing so, I've wondered if they thought I was "incompatible" with their beliefs and lifestyle.

2. Formality

I wouldn't exactly call them friends but I wouldn't delete them. Instead I'd make sure to post lgbt stuff on my feed so that they could see it. I would also tear them a new one if they ever posted something I disagreed with. None of my friends are outspoken homophobes tho, so it's never been a pro lem to me. I also feel like whenever IRL when someone is against LGBT it's so easy to own them in an argument.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't use Facebook any more, but if I did I would unfriend them. I would do it after talking with them about it in real life(since I don't have people I don't know in some capacity outside of social networks on any network I use). I don't put up with that shit.

4. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care about FB, in real life I don't consider homophobes as my friends.

Facebook sucks.

5. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i've hardly used facebook as anything other than a method of keeping in contact with specific people and i only recently reactivated it after an extended period of deactivation. regardless, i see absolutely no point in maintaining a relationship of any sort with anyone intrinsically opposed to who i am as a person. it's a waste of both individual's time and energy, and while my concept of friendship used to be pretty slack, i can't be fucking bothered putting up with anyone who isn't going to be anything but affirming. it ain't about tolerance, it's about respecting myself and understanding that i don't need to have anyone in my life who isn't good for me. it isn't my responsibility to change their opinions or beliefs and i don't want to feel like i have to try whenever someone spews ignorant opinions all over the internet. there's no point in trying to convince the deaf and blind. people receptive to reason generally aren't at the forefront screaming homophobic tripe.

6. Higs

Already deleted this one very nice lady...

7. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a tough one for me. I was so happy about the ruling. And happy to see my lesbian, gay, bi friends posts. And saddened in my heart by some hateful posts. However, a lot of this is from "christian" family. I dearly love my family but very much disagree with them.... It breaks my heart, really. Obviously I am not out to family. :frowning2: It's just such a hard situation. BUT to those posting negative and quoting Bible, I posted a verse about kind words to counter the unkind words. I thought that was the best approach. Whether or not it really was...idk... :frowning2:

8. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've set up my life so that I don't really have homophobic people around me and don't need to. If someone exposes themselves as being against my life, I say goodbye with ease. I'm very lucky to be able to do that, though, and I know for many people it's not so easy or so simple.

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go back and forth in my mind, considering options. But well, if I did then I wouldn't have any friends left on Facebook.
    Everyone around here IS homophobic, it would be hard to find friends who are not.

I have deleted a few: the cousin who compares me to bestiality and pedophilia and all that. A couple of distant super religious church people.
    And I ignore alot of my family now after they argued with me when I was finally brave enough to post some super sad and compelling fairness videos and some compassionate pictures for equality that were very cute.

I don't have any friends, so I just keep the family and aquaintances on there otherwise it'd be pretty boring.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I would, if they were an actual friend of mine. If they were some casual acquaintance I added and they were posting anti-gay stuff frequently, then yeah, I don't need that noise in my life and would probably unfriend them.

11. BelleFromHell

After the Supreme Court ruling, my god-mom rainbow'd her profile picture and stated that she was "straight but not narrow" before it was cool. She is a liberal Republican who supports gay marriage and abortion, and has even performed commitment ceremonies in Georgia back when real gay marriages were still banned here. She said she's happy now that she can help create marriages here.

After her post, a rude guy she knew posted; "*shakes head* Worst Republican ever."

I replied; "*BEST Republican ever. :wink:"

I have a feeling that this guy will start a fight, but I know she'll defend me. She's more of a mom than my biological mom ever was.

As for my own account, I also rainbow'd my profile picture and made Alfred F. Jones from Hetalia (a personification of the US of A) my cover photo. So far, all the comments have been nice, and a Hetalia fan friend of mine have been freaking out over "The Hero" accepting same-sex marriage.

[​IMG]

I doubt I'll have to use the "unfriend" button of death, but if someone turns out to be radically homophobic, I'm not afraid to use it.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Nah, they can believe what they want I don't care. My sexuality has become so unimportant to my life I just became immune to these kind of statements.

13. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I voted NO.
    I'm too blase about the friends I have on FB. Many I add because I know them by name. There are a few I care about. If these close friends expressed anything offensive I would still keep them because we did have a connection and my orientation shouldn't be a problem.
    I would leave the choice to them if there were a problem. No arguments or animosity.
    Less choices make life more peaceful........

14. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends on the specific content they're putting out there... anything blatantly hateful would probably get them blocked. I have one fb friend who posts a lot of things that I find offensive (but not hateful) regarding LGBT+ issues, and I have blocked a page that she often clicks "like" on.

I've rainbow'd my profile pic (as have several of my other friends) and posted a remark on how marriage equality is not the end of the road for the LGBT+ community. I've also "liked" more things in the past 24 hours than I ever have, all LGBT+ positive. I think it's pretty clear where I stand. If anyone wants to unfriend me, they can have at it.

15. Simple Thoughts

Absolutely not!

Why?

How do you change the mind of a person you refuse to interact with?

I know you cannot change everyone, and some people are nearly insufferable, but if we don't try than nothing changes. So I say keep your homophobic friends on facebook and have that argument with them everytime, always keep your cool, and show them love when they throw out hate. You won't always win, but every once in awhile you might just find yourself changing a mind ^-^

16. Lazuri

I dunno about "friend" as the people I like enough to call that are usually very similar to myself and generally good people. I did, however, have an acquaintance on facebook that I had briefly met on a convention that turned out to be homophobic and just insensitive in general. I got rid of him almost immediately.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting views on this. What works for me is if they are just someone i barely talk to I will probably delete them in a heartbeat but if they are close family i would probably just hide their posts from me seeing it. I see that some are afraid others might assume their sexuality if they delete them if I understand that right I would wouldn't worry too much about someone jumping to that conclusion. I deleted people all people time and never get questioned on why i deleted them. Correct if I am wrong but i don't think anyone really sees far into it unless they are family or close friends. But sometimes i do block people when deleting them so i remember never to add them again and they never find out I blocked them for any reason. But i think that is very unlikely depending on the connection.

18. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Probably not in fact I just had a discussion with one about one of his posts but I don't think I would delete someone. I don't agree with everything my friends do but their still my friends

PS. Most of my friends that are against it are really religious and aren't being ...nasty about it but tactfully disagreeing with the idea no slurs or anything and are open to debate so I can deal with it

#58 Chi and Bashful, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This, pretty much.

I like it when people speak their minds, especially when it's raw emotion. It has been very useful knowing what "the enemy" is up to. It's kind of like being a secret agent, but doing nothing, as the opposition throws you the information as opposed to you needing to get it.

I dislike being caught off guard, and Facebook, as asinine as it can be (and is a lot of the time), gives me more knowledge and material to use, consider, or just remember, for and about individuals. So no, I wouldn't delete somebody for that.

To sum it up in a cute little quote:

"Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

20. Harp Grey

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect one of my class mates to be a bit anti-gay rights, but she's my classmate so I still don't get rid of her even if I was going to delete her as a facebook-friend. But we never talk much anyway and she rarely post any statuses (but I have seen her *liked* anti gay-stuff a few times). I feel the urge to post even more gay rights stuff just to annoy her :grin: