1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with stupid people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The Wallflower, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd just like to point out that:
    1) A lot of Christians are willing to listen and take on board what you have to say so changing their opinion is not impossible
    2) Not all people who oppose the LGBT are Christian and not all Christians oppose the LGBT
    3) Jesus didn't say anything about homosexuality at all

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. Some of the stupid ones I know are intelligent enough, with some having gone to college, yet they a very locked in to some strange, archaic, and fanatical thinking, usually about religion and politics.

3. Justinian20

I'm too nervous to stand up to people as well. But I honestly study stupid people and try to understand why they think that way and then just get fustrated and annoyed if the reason is not a good one.

4. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Lend them a brain.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. The Wallflower

I pretty much stated earlier in this thread what I meant by stupid people, and what I meant by the title.

This is why we need to read the whole thing, rather than just the title...

7. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1 - I never said that Christians weren't willing to listen. Sure, plenty are. The narrow minded ones that go out of their way to blurt out that they don't agree with you, have probably already heard the same-sex equality argument multiple times. Why go through it again, is my question. If someone doesn't agree, fuck it. I have no time to waste on people who don't want their mind changed.

2 - Obviously not all Christians oppose the LGBT, not sure where you gathered that I said that. You are correct when you say that not all people who oppose the LGBT are Christian, however, majority are. Religion is the main reason people are against it. 99% of the signs by protesters are related to religion. I don't think I've ever heard of an atheist who's against same-sex marriage, although I'm sure there are a few that exist.

3 - Jesus didn't use the words homosexuality, correct. "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." - That's the religious argument.

Anything else?

8. Formality

If a random person told me something like that I'd respond with: "Who are u?" and then "gtfo" one letter at a time while at the same time lowering a finger one at a time leaving only one up.

9. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

1) Fair enough

2) No one mentioned religion at all but you brought up "bible thumpers" as if that was who we were talking about. Also, most of the people I know who object to homosexuality are atheists - of the people I know irl who are pro-LGBT at least 75% of them are Christians.

3) I said that Jesus didn't say anything about homosexuality, which is correct. That reference is from Leviticus so, in my understanding, has been somewhat outdated by the actions of Jesus.

I wasn't trying to start any kind of debate - I just wanted to make clear to anyone reading this that Christianity =/= Intolerance.

10. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that I tossed the religion card myself, but I've never ran into someone who's unaccepting that isn't a 'bible thumper.' Majority of those who don't agree with the LGBT community is because the bible "says so." They're terribly obnoxious to debate against, hence why I said I choose to ignore them. The reference is from Leviticus, I guess I used the term Jesus loosely. Narrow minded Christians will take any sentence from the bible to use to their advantage in an argument against LGBT community. Which is what I was getting at, it being a religious argument.

I wasn't really trying to start a debate either. This is a prime example as to why I choose not to argue with people who don't agree with the lifestyle. I get agitated way too easily when I'm arguing with people and tend to speak in a condescending manner. I never was implying that Christianity equaled intolerance, but rather that most intolerance is from religion.

(*hug*)

11. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*) Yeah, I understand what you're trying to say - it's probably more my frustration at the "bible thumpers" giving all Christians a bad name than anything else.
    Sorry for misinterpreting.

12. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

13. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a good idea, wish I'd thought about that when I was in school, of course one has be be brave, out or nearly out to do that but that would probably shut a few of them up or they would then just switch to spewing homophobic stuff anyways.

Worst part now is because of some hate crimes laws we have in Canada, they can't necessarily call someone a faggot in school or at work so the bullying takes shape in the form of making sure the victim knows that they know, they will out loud say, oh I wish I was gay, or I wish I had clothes like that or I wish I was that good looking, or not that there is anything WRONG with being gay and there are many more variations of it but you get the idea, voice and mannerisms imitation etc or lots of really crude talk about girls that they know full well a gay guy has no experience with doing.

In the workplace again it can be similar, complete and total isolation, cut out of the loop until you fail, get fired or quit, set up to fail and then get let go.

In my experience things are not any more accepting, sure gays can get married, I say who cares, I'd rather have a world where gay isn't even an issue in school or work than be able to marry.

14. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In reference to the religious argument, I would say that some Christians are too extreme in their views. However, going to a Methodist Church there is none of that craziness going on and really the message is that God loves you for who you are and what you do for others, regardless of sexual orientation. :slight_smile:

15. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't associate myself with stupid people.

I've done a good job at keeping this statement valid and true thus far.