1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with a Summer Separation

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lyana, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Lyana

Hi guys,

So, summer is finally here. Yay! I'm so ready to whip out the bathing suit and sunglasses. :sunglasses: But this year, I've been almost dreading summer break.

I've been dating a girl for 6 months now. She was in most of my classes this year, so we've basically spent the past ten months seeing each other almost every day -- and the past 6 months going on a date every week.

The semester is over now, which means we'll be spending 2.5 months in different countries. Visiting isn't really an option because of financial issues. We've talked about it and we're both on the same page about wanting to make this work... but it's just not going to be easy.

On the one hand I know how we feel about each other and we're also great friends. I know that when September rolls around we'll be glad to see each other and our friendship won't have suffered.

On the other hand, she's obviously not just a friend. I'll miss her physical presence like mad, and I guess I'm scared something will... fade? Change? I'm pretty apprehensive, since I've never been in this situation before. So if anyone has any advice on how to keep the spark when we can't physically be together... I'm all ears.

And if you have ideas for our last day/night together before we leave, I'll gladly take those as well! Feel free to go as cheesy or sexy as you want. :lol:

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    aww, I hope you'll be fine.

I think staying in touch, like calling at least once a week, maybe once a day, is the best way. Surprising her with a poem or so might also cuten things up.

Sexting, phone sex, skyping with video and so on... yeah...

Last day/night?
    Romantic dinner, onto a nice walk, back into your room, cuddly-cuddly, rose petals, waxsticks, those tasters you apply which makes it nice and all, strap-on or other tools, anything to make it a little extra fun and romantic...

3. Sek

Sek

Staying connected when all you have is the cold, non-physical screen to connect through is tough.. Make sure you both go into this "summer separation" knowing what the agreed limits are while you are away from each other. 'Obvious' or 'implied' should not exist for you.

Try to find any way to connect and have fun. Apps, phone calls, writing letters, etc. Something fun could be sending each other love letters and/or care packages. Also, setting aside some time for each other every day will get you in the habit of not drifting apart. I guess the ultimate goal is to find any way to stay in each other's lives.

As for your last night together, well that has to be special. A quiet walk in the moonlight, drinks, dinner? I'm more of a traditional romantic so my ideas are pretty unoriginal, but anything that's gonna leave her longing for more during the summer will do the trick! (if you know what I mean.. :love:slight_smile:

4. Lyana

Thank you both!

Calling every day would be super expensive, Becki! But yeah, of course we'll stay in touch. It's just tough, because I know keeping in touch isn't her thing -- it's not that it's me, just that she's not very good at it. But of course we'll both be making the effort.
    Sexting will quickly be expensive, too. I can just see myself running out of texts just before the big O. That would be a memorable experience, at least! But Skype is definitely going to be used.
    Oh dear, the romantic part of me is going all gooey at your last paragraph. But what are "tasters"?

Right now, Sek, the "agreement" is that we're together and the same limits apply whether or not we're in the same country. I don't put limits on the people I love, so there are none for her. As to mine, well, I have no interest in even flirting with anyone else. But yeah, we'll talk it out in a more in-depth way, that's great advice.
    I love writing (and getting) letters, so I'll definitely be sending some to her (as soon as I figure out how the post works in this new country)! The longest we've been apart was two weeks, and I think I wrote her twice during that time. Love letters, I don't know -- I think she'd die laughing if I sent her a rose-covered, perfumed, lyrical love letter -- but definitely letters.
    Aw, you guys are sweet about romance. I'm going to have to think about that last day/night, yeah...

5. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Letters sound like a good way to keep in touch with her, email could be good too.

Well, the obvious thing is just that you're spending time together, what you do is secondary.

For somewhat sexy: you could meet up somewhere for a while and talk, then go back to your place and give each other massages, and cuddle, and see if anything else develops from that. Then go out to dinner, and go walking afterwards for a while. Then drive, drive to the country and go swimming(or skinny-dipping) at a river/lake spot. Then just talk/cuddle/stargaze for a few hours.

For cheesy: go swimming in the ball pit at chucky cheese.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    ehm I don't know if they're called tasters... the kind of things with flavor, like a kind of paste I think, that you apply around/on the special area... like blueberrry flavor or whatever...

7. Lyana

Minus the driving and swimming, GreenMan, that sounds almost exactly like a good many of our dates! Neither of us has a car, but swimming in a lake... damn. I'd love to, but the lake is pretty far, maybe an hour or so by bike. If I'm feeling it tomorrow, I may check it out, see if there's a romantic spot somewhere.
    (We don't have chucky cheese here! But... that would be cheesy indeed.)

Oh, but I like the taste, Becki. (Though I do like blueberry.) That's the first time I've heard of that kind of thing, though! It's definitely good to know they exist.
    Hm, now that I think of it, I may need to find an LGBT-friendly sex shop.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Make 'a game' of it.

Get together and decide to plan 'half a day' with/for one another, and establish who will have the first part and who has the second. The goal should be to do something for/with one another, that you each like. For example, let us say you enjoyed seafood, ideally what your partner plans would include that. Same if your partner liked cuddling, ideally, you would incorporate that. Common sense, basically.

The objective here is to, while you prepare for that final day, you're left with an air of mystery and romantic suspense: OMG! What do they have planned? Is it this? This? Could it be that? Oh, or maybe that! Eeeeee~!

This ignites a spark, or should. When you two get together, go through your checklists, as silly or serious as that may be. Do things you like, things you know, and something new; just things to get the emotions and bond flowing. Maybe paint a picture together and "accidentally" get each other covered, something to associate touching/intimacy with your actions, which will ingrain the experience to memory. Hell, maybe paint on each other's bodies. Put little hearts or messages... gradually putting an end to paint and using your hands, but make sure it's safe. I wouldn't want you dying now!

There are hundreds of things to do.

Put things you've always wanted to talk about or do in a hat/container/whatever, and have her do the same, then the two of you take turns drawing from them. Discuss or do what is brought up. This way you can learn a little more about one another and, maybe, have a funny or loving time:

Give a body massage? Okay.
    Perform a lapdance? Okay.
    Lick your face? Okay.

Be as weird or sensual as you want. Hell, maybe put something along the lines of 'pose in lingerie'. You can be as traditional or liberating as you want, just have fun and, you know, love one another.

Invest in a scrapbook. So when the two of you are separated, you can put pictures of what you're doing, or what the other may like. Include little love notes and whatever else, maybe a nice feather or leaf, anything that has some sort of value. Tease or compare one another about your discoveries, and then combine the scrapbook together when you reunite. It's corny as all hell, but it should leave the two of you feeling appreciated and like your efforts paid off... I mean, why not? You've spent 2 1/2 months compiling this, so putting it together should feel like an accomplishment.

Have the scrapbook begin with an image of you two together, and end with an image of you two together. Everything in the middle is just how you two relate to and pine for one another. Yes, it's cheesy, but neither one of you can say you don't care about the other!

Consider make overs. It doesn't have to be something over the top, it could be something as simple as doing one another's hair. Be silly, be goofy, or show various styles to one another, just to see how it looks. Touching hair is a very intimate and enjoyable experience, well, for most. Maybe sneak a few sensual touches to the neck, too, for good measure. If you want, go get dolled up and put on a fashion show for one another, and embrace your inner fun.

I could go on and on, but surely there is something to be obtained from all or any of this. Just remember, the most important thing is being genuine about your feelings, and not being ashamed to revel or share them, no matter how juvenile the antics you get into may be. It doesn't matter, you only want to make each other feel good and to know they are cherished.

This is coming from somebody who is asked, even paid, to serve as an unofficial relationship guru for folks.

<3

9. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Seconded on the recommendation to go stargazing! I love stargazing, especially on warm summer nights, and there's something that just feels calming and beautiful about sharing the stars with someone you love.

I don't have any good advice that anyone hasn't already said, but Skype was made for situations like yours. And I know it's a cliche, but absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Just remember she'll be thinking of you just as much as you're thinking of her. Your relationship will be stronger once the summer is over. Good luck, Lyana!

10. Lyana

Aw. I love stargazing, but we're not big fans of the sky here (not clear enough; it's not like out in the country). But yeah, I love being outside at night during the summer, and we've done that.
    Thank you for the encouragement, starlights. Really.

And, well, Kaiser... I've already thanked you. And I mean it. Thank you for taking the time to type all that out! Like I told you, it did spark some ideas. I'm always amazed by how accurately you seem to get people.