1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batman: Arkham Knight.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Lazuri

Who else got it? What are you opinions?

Personally I really like it aside from some annoyances. First of all is obviously the absolutely piss poor job of porting this game to PC. It runs terribly. Secondly, the focus on the batmobile is too big. The Batmobile is awesome, but Batman is seriously relying on it in this game, which feels out of character to me. It's also sort of a waste seeing how they improved both combat and predator segments by a large margin, but the batmobile segments are taking up a lot of their space. Finally, the new AR challenges suck. The fact that you can't pick your character when there are four--soon to be five--playable characters is ridiculous.

The best thing so far was honestly playing as Harley. They represented her absolutely perfectly in gameplay. Too bad she's only playable for a 20 minute long side mission.

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I agree the importance of the Batmobile so far is ridiculous and confirms one of my biggest fears for this game. I'm just a few hours in right nowso I'll come back later with my final thoughts.

The Arkham Knight hasn't been revealed yet but I'm pretty sure I know who it is... and if it's who I think it is, god damnit. lol xD

3. Lazuri

I actually knew who it was instantly because of his voice actor.

It is
    Jason Todd

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weirdly enough, I didn't get it. I'm a humongous fan of the Arkham series, however, seeing all the hype and buildup for Knight, I figured that this would be the game where they jump the shark, and didn't want to dole out the dosh for that.

Another factor that played into me not buying it, was that Origins didn't hold a certain kind of charm the first two games had for me. I'm not really sure what exactly was missing, but it was just a different experience, and I didn't find myself yearning to play it. And so when the Arkham Knight trailers came out, I was tired of the series to begin with. It's was a compound compound situation that led to me not getting it.

i'll probably pick it up in a bargain bin some day in the future

5. Lazuri

Two things. First of all, whenever I know I'll like a game, I avoid any coverage of it like the plague to avoid the hype train. When it comes to Arkham Knight I had watched no trailers and knew only the basics. I went in unspoiled and besides from the things mentioned in my first post, I am enjoying this game very much, despite what a lot of other people say. If you hear a lot of people complain about AK, it's most likely due to over hyping.

Secondly, Origins absolutely felt off, but that's because it was. It was developed by Warner Bros Montreal, not Rocksteady like the two first games. Arkham Knight is once again by Rocksteady and it feels much more like an Arkham Game.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2015 at 05:25 AM ----------

This is how bad the game runs on PC. Warner Bros took it down from steam.

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  7. Lazuri

Personally, I'm so used to stuttering gameplay from playing on inferior hardware for years, so I can still enjoy the game even with the issues, but I can definitely understand why a lot of people are using the steam refund feature.

At least WB realized how badly they fucked up and took the game down while they fix it and I'm sure they will fix it as soon as they're able since they lose money every day that it's down.

8. Knave

I pre-ordered the game on PC. And surprisingly for me it worked. But the graphics card on my PC died I'm assuming because of the game and I had to send it to get fixed. So I bought a PS4 and I'm playing it on that. I'm waiting on my steam refund now.

As for the gameplay I find it too batmobile focused, the challenges suck, I figured out who the Knight was before the game was released thanks to poor planning by whoever designs DC's statues and action figures, and Gordon's performance sounded horribly phoned in for the first few parts of the game. Still a great game though.

#8 Knave, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  9. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not my type of game, and I don't have it, but I did see all the stuff on Kotaku and elsewhere about how broken the PC version is. Thankfully I learned my lesson after the new SimCity and how awful it was when it came out, and now I wait until games are released and I can read what other people are saying.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This game is a big reason why I can't wait to get a ps4. I have already read things which take away from the ending (when I finally get to play it), however that doesn't mean that the experience leading up til the end won't be good. So, just looking forward to enjoying it for what it is.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well after having played for several days I can comfortably say this game is at least an improvement over origins because there is alot of innovation in the gameplay whereas that game was just a (arguably inferior) clone of Arkham City. From 1 big Arkham Series fan to another I think you would enjoy this game, it is an impressive demonstration of next current gen technology, with a super vivid and detailed world, interesting new gameplay mechanics and some good story moments I'm sure anyone who cares even slightly for batman would appreciate.

The 1 major problem I have with this game is honestly the batmobile but I'll have to get into that in depth another time

12. Knave

Jim Sterling did a video on Arkham Knight today specifically the PC version. And he really pointed out everything wrong with it. He also talked about gay marriage being passed which was a nice touch.

13. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Question guys:

Do I buy this game now for Xbox one, or wait for the price to drop? I've heard mixed things about the game, but I'm unsure whether to get it, because I still have a backlog of games to play :confused:

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    >Wait
    >Get the inevitable GOTY/Definitive version with all the DLC for the same price
    >?????
    >Profit

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Are you in a hurry to play the game or not/How invested in the story are you?

16. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Played all the game so far, as well as trying to complete most of the riddler's challenges. I guess I'm not in a hurry per say...

And GeeLee, might take your advice :icon_bigg

17. Lazuri

It works alright for console. As long as you don't overhype yourself and know what you're in for, it's a good and worthwhile game.

18. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm only a bit of the way in so far and am thoroughly enjoying the game. I am playing on PS4 and the game looks fantastic, a real improvement over the past games. The lighting effects in particular are really impressive, the way Batman's cape glistens in the rain as he glides through Gotham is just one example.

I have had a few glitches though, sometimes when I am doing the Penguin weapon truck tracking side missions the trucks will glitch off the road and get stuck in a building or under the world which forces me to have to restart the mission. Also when just driving around in the Batmobile I have once randomly glitched through the ground and fell under the game world. However these issues were few and far between.

On the topic of the Batmobile, it is amazing fun when it works well. While it seems to be getting a tad more space in the story so far than I would like it is still loads of fun when its working properly. When its not working properly though, oh boy, it's like trying to drive a brick of butter on an ice rink. I don't know what it is about the controls that makes the same chase sequence nigh impossible the first time as I bounce from one side of the road to the other while its nice and easy the second time as the Batmobile hugs the road like an F1 car. But essentially the controls just feel somewhat inconsistent, sometimes it turns well, sometimes not, and this can make driving it rather punishing and annoying at times.

I have put hundreds of hours a piece into both Arkham City and Arkham Asylum and so far Arkham Knight is shaping up to be another incredibly fun game for me. Probably worth noting that I am a huge Batman fan though so just about any decent Batman game will make me happy. This is definitely much more than a decent game though and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested.

Edit: Can't believe I forget a very important point, Batman's butt looks fantastic in the JL3000 suit.

#18 LibertyValance, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  19. Lazuri

It's funny. I'm playing on the shitty PC version and encountered zero conventional glitches and just had the relentless stuttering.

And I never had problems with controlling the batmobile and actually found that it handled exceptionally well. My problem with it was that it took the attention where it should have gotten none. One example is the Riddler races. The Riddler want's to challenge Batman intellectually so he throws up some race tracks for him? Yeah, no. Another example is how two major characters who should have gotten great boss battles were instead reduced to tank battles.

The game does look great, though. Just a shame consoles didn't get to enjoy the Nvidia gameworks features. Just look at that smoke.

[YOUTUBE]p_ljHBBaAOk[/YOUTUBE]

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well boss battles have never been Rocksteady's strong suit. For all the crap people like to give Origins I think that game actually handled boss fights better than any of the other games.