1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone clear this up for me please, thanks.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Creator, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Creator

Alright so recently I've seen a lot of threads regarding genders, etc and I just do not understand any definition I've seen.

For example, transgender I do not get it. Is that where you can have a male body (Genitals and all) but in your mind be female? Is that what it means?
    So if you have a male body and a female mind would that make you a female? So on forms, etc you'd put female instead of male?
    Please put anything else I should know.

Thank you to anyone that can clear this up.

Kind regards,
    Creator.

2. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was born female and my brain is male. I personally describe it as feeling like a male soul trapped in a female body and having a very strong need for the exterior to match the interior.

We take hormones and then have a series of costly surgeries to become the right gender.

You're a male and think if you were born in a female body- you would feel very uncomfortable and need to have hormones and surgery to turn yourself physically male.

Not all cases are the same.

3. Creator

So although your physically female would you put yourself down as male on paper and that sort of thing? Would you be refered to as he although your physical appearence is female? Would you go into the male changing rooms instead of female and goto the male toilets instead of female?

4. suninthesky

Hi Creator,

I'm glad that you're asking questions.

Probably one of the better summaries of questions about transgender people can be found here, on GLAAD's site.

Transgender FAQ | GLAAD

That should clear things up a lot, but if you have any other questions, definitely ask!

suninthesky

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 01:26 PM ----------

For me, it depends on the situation. Most of my friends/professors refer to me as he; my parents, not at all, but I did only come out 2 years ago. I usually go to the male changing rooms, I try to find gender neutral toilets when I can because I wasn't out on my campus freshman year. I have to put female down for all legal documents (and I compete in the female division in college) but after college when I start medically transitioning (for me, hormones/ top surgery, some people don't elect to go for either, or can't because of health issues) After hormones/surgery I'll be able to legally change my gender on my birth certificate.

5. Creator

Ah I understand it much more clearly now. Thank you for your responce it has helped a lot.

P.S. I hope I haven't offended anyone I've heard it can be a sensative subject.

6. suninthesky

Not at all, I have to say I really appreciate when someone genuinely wants to understand. That's very good of you. And if you ever have other questions, we're here!

7. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Once someone has completed the surgeries they get their gender legally changed on their birth certificate. A female to male transgender does not say physically female. After that I suppose they would use the appropriate restroom and changing rooms. The laws are not the same everywhere.

8. Lazuri

It's how you battle ignorance.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Also: Legal gender qualifications etc. differ depending on the legal system of the country in which the transgender person in question lives.