1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mind the (Age) Gap: How Old Is Too Old in a Relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Starwind78, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, I'm a 16 year old who's never really been in much of a relationship...

But I'd be lying if I said I haven't been attracted to people twice my age before. >_<

I think it is possible to have a relationship with 1 or 2 decades apart. But both parties should be aware adults, and at least have a VERY STRONG understanding of each others boundaries, mentality, life-stage, and communication.

And it wouldn't hurt that the younger party is mature for their age; and that the older party is versatile. ;P

2. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like older women sometimes, especially those with a youthful spirit that don't care about being older or embrace it in a vibrant way. As to whether or not such a relationship would practically work out in reality I couldn't say. Most of my friends are older than me and I've always had more difficulty relating to those who are my own age or younger (with exceptions), but this may change as I myself age, who knows.

I don't have any objections to anyone else's relationship. So long as it's two consenting adults and no one is being taken advantage of, people can do what they want.

Tigers are pretty good too, just saying :grin:

3. swagmaster

im dating someone 2-3 years older. seems okay to me.

4. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer women who are within 15 years of my age. The thought of sex with someone my parents' age is disgusting to me.

5. UnoFlamingo

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me is be friends with anyone any age but a relationship ship or sexual 25-35. With man I can't see myself ever dating another guy but when I did I would only ever go my age or older max 8years senior. I think it's great and all to say age is just a number but with different ages comes different interest and life stages.

6. Solitaire

Well I do find older men and women attractive but it it quite hard to talk with someone thats much older than you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. swagmaster

it is. i think anyone older then 30 would be off limits probably.

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it varies by how old you are. It's not because of society but because of the difference in life experiences.

If you are under 20 I think it should be 2-3 years because a sophomore in college has a completely different life experience than a high school junior.

If you are in the 20-30 range 5-7 years sounds about right because a 25 year old just graduating college and starting their life will have a different outlook on life than someone who is is in their mid 30's who has been living on their own for 10+ years.

30-40 about 10-12 years because generation gaps start coming into play. An immature 35 year old may get along better with a 28 year old while a more mature 35 year old may get along better with someone in their early 40's.

40+ hell go for it because by this point most people have settled into who they are and the ages become less defined because of life experiences. Some people in their 60's are more vibrant and full of life than many people who are 45. And the age may be less physically noticeable too because some people age well and others don't.

I'm not saying that these are written in stone but more of a general guideline on where I think most people would be happy.

9. ApexxShadow

I would probably date someone around my age

10. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    it's not something I seem to be all that concerned with, I've dated women that were 10 years younger than I was up to 7 years older. as with anything else about that person, if you're attracted to them those things don't mean much.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I've been attracted to guys in their 30-40s and I'm not even 20. For marriage though I'd probably keep it within 5 years.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I wouldn't say that age means nothing, but it's severely dependent on the relationship and individuals in question.. and I believe in live and let live, if you're 20, I say go and date that 50 year old if you feel attracted to him. As long as no one's getting hurt (some relationships with large age gaps fall under this category; and some donot) I have no issue with it

13. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Would I date someone 10 years older than me? I can't really answer that because it depends on the person.

I agree with everyone who said sex is different. There are plenty of women in their mid-30s who I'm really attracted to. My biggest celebrity crush is Marion Cotillard and she's 39.

14. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She is so pretty, right? I wouldn't say she is my favorite, per se, but definitely in my top 40. I also can't believe she's thirty-nine. Hot damn, that lady's doing good for her age.

15. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 46 & my dh will be 62 in two months. We've been together 18 years. I've always gravitated toward more mature men & women. It helps that he & I are best friends. I joke we're practically twins. We have so much in common with our views, beliefs & interests. We've opened each other up to new things. Even what we disagree upon, it's ok. It hasn't always been easy, what with health issues & other life changing events. Our strong bond has seen us through. It's less about age & more how you relate to the person.

16. siriuslypadfoot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think age gaps have the potential to really be something wonderful and special because the differences in your life experiences are more pronounced, however; that can also lead to a lot of frustrations on both ends.

I personally prefer people who are a few years older than me because I find it frustrating to be trying to get my life together and figure out what I'm going, and I feel like peers can't lend much as far as support goes because they're doing the same thing I am. I feel like "older" people (early twenties) have a better idea of what they're doing and it's really important to me that my partner is able to guide me though something.

17. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like older men, but women have to be closer to my own age. I think it only becomes a problem when people comment on what a great grandfather-granddaughter (or grandfather-grandson) team the two of you make :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Seriously though, maybe I'm bias but I don't see a problem with a significant age gap. To each his own. Love is love. That is all.

18. thepandaboss

(raises hand). I'm 20, partner's 34. No problem with it if everyone involved is legal and there's love and understanding involved. Honestly, I'm attracted to people older than me, anywhere from 30+. I don't know what it is but I think it's just easier for me to relate to people older than me, probably just because I didn't really grow up around kids my age.

19. essie

My grandparents had a 10 years gap between them. They've always loved each other immensely and age as never been an issue of sort between them, except that my grandfather has died over 17 years ago and my grandma is still here. So yeah, in the long run the possibility of losing your beloved partner is greater if he/she is way older than you are and it's not pleasent. I have no memory of him and somehow feel "robbed" because I've been told he was a wonderful, very smart man and I haven't got the chance to learn anything from him. I know that he and I share our eye color and the fact that we're both stubborn, though.
    As for myself, right now I wouldn't date anyone yourger than 5 or so years, because that person would be 14, or older than 5 years, because I don't think that anyone older than 24 or would ever want to date me, and I'm already being generous.

20. I don't want someone that is too old, or too young. Preferably someone +/- 2 years.