1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go to prom alone because I'm gay??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DanielSmith, Jun 21, 2015.

1. DanielSmith

Hey:slight_smile:

I think I'm going to have to head to prom alone.... I'm gay but not out at all so it would be impossible to go with a guy....even if there were any I liked at school haha

So, how have all of you dealt with the problem of prom??

One half thinks I should have asked a girl and we could go as friends and look "normal", but then the other half of me thinks I shouldn't get so held up on what others think

2. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I never went cause it's just a really lame event. make your own prom that's what I wish I did.

3. sheenak

I wish I had had the nerve to ask the girl I wanted to.I think if I could have worked up the courage just that one nightit eould have helped deal with things I faced down the road

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Daniel honey I'll go with you it'll be fun! :slight_smile:

5. Dewey

I went with a bunch of friends and it was awesome. You don't need to have a date for it to be a good time. Just have fun and don't worry what people think! :slight_smile:

6. RedMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Prom isn't all that, so you really shouldn't stress over it. I never went to prom. :slight_smile:

7. cw1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Have you got anyone in mind? Like anyone you're interested in? It could be a spectacular way to come out to everyone, but only if you're comfortable! If not, then just go with friends, and dance the house down. Prom ain't bad, but I wouldn't get hung up on going; college gets better, and once you hit uni, no one gives a crap :wink: Seems like a while away but don't get hung up, and as cheesy and overused as it sounds - everything will work out.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took a girl.
    Of course, I made it clear that there were no romantic expectations, but that it seemed like we both lacked a romantic date, and that it would be fun to just make an entrance and have a "preferred dancing partner". Also, we were good friends beforehand. I would have rather gone alone than go with a relative stranger.

But really, people obsess too much on the "date" part of prom. While it really should be all about having one last big party with all of the people you went to school with. My "date" and I danced a couple of times, but what I remember the most is just standing in a group with my friends and talking about our plans for the future and what we would definitely remember from highschool.

9. v3ronica93

Out Status:
    A few people
    I went alone, which there was nothing wrong with than. I still had fun, though.

10. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want to go to the prom and you're not out then just take a friend. Prom is more about becoming an adult, your school friends, going to uni, etc., it's much less about dating and stuff. So, don't stress too much over it, just go and have fun.

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just didn't go :/
    Most people weren't aware I'm gay, I didn't have a date, and I didn't have a big friend group to go with...so I skipped it. Depressing, right?

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never gone to one dance or prob before and I don't think I ever will honestly.

13. Footnerd

Footnerd Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same here, back when I was in high school it was just never even considered as an option, I don't dance anyways too awkward but I don't even remember being depressed about it, it was simply not an option and even today there are many who don't or can't go, they do have a Pride Prom put on my some of the school boards as a bit of a consolation prize but the worst part is, it's 2015 and obviously many are still living as second class citizens because they happen to be gay, in school, in the workplace.

14. PennyMonkey96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went with my cousins, pretty lame ��, and we still had fun. No one was aware I am gay.

15. Cubxu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Where I'm from, there isn't really a big thing about dating when it comes to the prom. It was mostly me chatting to a lot of people that I really didn't think I would see again. Go without a date, and have fun! I most certainly had fun. Maybe too much fun...:confused:

16. siriuslypadfoot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went with friends and honestly regret going. It really wasn't that great for me, I only went because everyone told me I was going to regret going.

I was bored the entire time and all of my friends were too awkward to actually go dance and stuff. I stood around for three hours on my phone and went home.