1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Glasgow Idea

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Minnie, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Minnie

I've started making a leaflet on global LGBT+ discrimination that will focus on the more grave issues of violence and murder. I hope to hand these out at Pride Glasgow and am looking for people to help me with research. Before distributing these I'd also appreciate if people who don't know much about associated terminology could give it a read to see if things have been explained clearly. If you're interested or know anyone who could help, please comment!

2. Images and Words

Will it not put a dampener on the cheery mood of a pride parade if you start handing out discrimination leaflets? I get the idea of spreading awareness, but it seems a bit party-pooper. I think handing them out at perhaps some form of LGBT+ club/group would be a good idea - getting some discussion going about the issues mentioned in said leaflet.

3. Minnie

That's kind of the idea. I don't see the point of pride as being a big party. When there's too much focus on partying and sexy stuff, it draws from the horrors that need to be addressed. Besides, it's an event a lot of people will be going to so it's a good time to hand out. Also I'd want all types of people to get the leaflets, not just people in the LGBT+ category as most people in LGBT+ clubs are.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Also another thing to note, and I can't say with Pride Glasgow since every one is different, but the Pride here you can't distribute leaflets (or anything else for that matter)... unless you have permission from the pride organizers (getting permission (here) also means paying for a booth rental). So before even going to the work of putting these together, find out who runs your Pride, and what their rules are.

5. Minnie

Cheers. My idea was that I wouldn't be a part of Pride but would be handing out leaflets in town on the day when lots of people are around. I know this is playing it a bit though.

6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Should be do-able then :slight_smile: .. couldn't see that it'd hurt to try this?
    Might also be helpfull to setup a small website or facebook page (or whatever the popular social-media thing is these days) and provide a link in the leaflets. That way you could give updates, and others could talk too...

I don't think it'd be an issue, but probably would be a good idea to check out the town's laws just to make sure they allow handouts (some cities have weird/strict laws)