1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay in school - tell us your story

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is it like being gay in school these days?
    What about being gay and out in school?
    What was it like in school for you in your day?

My Story

The gay thing never really came up until the last two years of my school (in England school finishes when you're 16 years old).

When I was 15 the gothic type kids started to say they were bisexual. No one really commented much on it but when they did they brushed it off as trying to be cool or attention seeking. I remember one guy admitted he was gay but like a day later it seemed like no one even really remembered.

When I was about 16 years old and in my last year of school this one guy, who I guess I always suspected was gay, grew suspicious that I may be gay and he started coming on to me. I didnt spurn his advances and we ended up adding eachother on MSN Messenger. He was coming on very strong and I ended up taking my top off for him on webcam etc. We finally met up and had a very awkward wanking and blowjob session in his bedroom when his parents were out... in front of his cats. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :astonished: I remember that before we did anything we just sat down on his bed and watched Family Guy together... Before anything happened, I was so scared to do anything. We sat there for what seemed like ages and I was starting to wonder if I had imagined our online affair when he started to rub my crotch with his foot from the other side of the bed, so I got up and said "Ok, lets do this" and we began. Was very awks. I left in a hurry and he told his best friend about what happened so then rumours obviously broke out in school. I just denied everything and nothing seemed to really stick. I never talked to that guy for the rest of school and didnt have another sexual experience until I was 20-21 years old.

#1 Robert, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  2. Rainbows~Exist

What is it like being gay in school these days?

Well... for me it was fine. I mean you do get the occasional comments from assholes calling you a 'fag' and whatnot but like I said, I didn't suffer that much :slight_smile:

What about being gay and out in school?

When I first came out in school most people where very accepting and supportive. One day later it felt like everyone forgot or something... Things just went back to normal.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know. There's nothing that makes me obviously gay to people at school.

4. CalluxRising

I'm attending post-grad and people are pretty much tolerable here.

5. KingJude

It's great. Not everyone knows, but I haven't yet had any homophobic comments. I'm going to hopefully be out in college (not the same as university here in the UK) so I'll get back to you!

6. Foz

Foz Guest

Like most people here I was in the closet/denial throughout high school and slid right under the radar :grin:

7. vekkoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I live in West Michigan, in the U.S. and I go to a private, very religious school. I am not out to any of my schoolmates, however one teacher and counselor do know. They have been very supportive. If anyone in my school is gay (I am sure there's got to be someone), they are closeted just like me. I know in school, it is sometimes hard when you hear about kids at the lunch table talking about "the fags". But, eventually you just get used to it and hope that things will be better off once you are in college. Anyways, that's my story of being gay in school...

8. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If anyone gave a shit about my sexuality, it was said behind my back and never repeated. Never had a problem or heard of anyone having a problem with it. Then again I think gay females are WAY more accepted in society versus gay men.

9. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is thought of as a joke if you say you are, if you act like you are, you are pointed at and made fun of (two girls are always holding hands and hugging, they have kissed some).

10. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wasn't a problem because it wasn't recognized. Yep

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was never out - only to my friends. There were no suspicions.

There were no resources for LGBT students as far as I can remember, which really sucked. It's 4 years since I was last there though so it might have changed. I mean, I never really struggled with my sexuality - from the age of 11 it was pretty obvious to me - and I accepted it pretty easily - but for others it isn't so easy, and I bet there were a lot of LGBT students there who felt like they had nowhere to go.

People are pretty accepting and easy-going, but provisions for LGBT students, if my experience at high school was anything to go by, need to be improved a lot. It wasn't until I went to college that there was any sort of noticeable LGBT presence.

#11 imnotreallysure, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  12. wewillbeokay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's alright. I'm sixteen and I don't experience that many issues I guess. Though people do say some very offensive things sometimes. There was a teacher who refused to buy a rainbow autism awareness bracelet (someone was doing it for their senior project) because it looked 'too faggy' and I did have an experience once when I was 14, an English teacher told me that I was bound for disease and I should repent. Though it didn't really offend me too much since he ran a jump rope club :grin:

13. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not gay, I'm pan (and out as bi) and I came out to my school three days ago.
    Before that, it wasn't that hard, but I had to "act straight" when girls were checking out guys and stuff like that, and also suppress my affections to my girlfriend. People during that phase could slightly tell we were dating but no rumors were spread or anything.

Our school is pretty LGBT+ friendly in general, especially my neart class, whom I came out to first.
    We call it the "gay class" because one girl was bi, there were three lesbians, and a trans guy who recently came out. So when me and my girlfriend came out, they were very happy and excited for us. The others had a pretty good reaction, and there were a few negative comments but we are out and happy!
    I became better friends with this really nice lesbian in my class after coming out! She is awesome but gets a lot of hate from people because she's out.
    I feel so much better vein out in school, and most people are positive! I love it

14. RedHeadHatter

OK my school is the biggest freaking exception. On the second year of high school (We have 3 years of high school) people are split into three categories depending on what they are planning to apply (For you to enter at a university in Brazil you have to pass a test that is usually focused on your chosen carrier, and some of the grades you have to get are insane), Math Science, Biological Science and Humanities. The Humanities groups are usually really liberal so people feel more comfortable to come out, the other two just go along with the acceptance. But even tough it's not really a big deal to be homossexual in my school I am still afraid to come out.

15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wasn't out at school and I was from Humanities haha.

16. YunoGasai

iv not been fully out in school but alot of my close friends know and it hasn't been spread around. i dont know why i was scared to come out to everyone in the first place. so far from what iv seen most people are really accepting of the lgbt community. the only time it gets any bad rap is when weird things happen such as someone who left the school then started asking all the guys (year 8 and up and i mean all the guys also he was 16 so he was asking 12-16 year olds) for foot and dick pics and would come on so strong that we(i) felt like he was going to track me down. and when some one gave a blowjob to a friend promising to give him xbox games (THE GUY REALLY WANTED TO SUCK DICK I GUESS) he didn't get any games so he stole em XD.
    so far everyone that has come out as lgbt have not been treated badly.

17. RedHeadHatter

Wow someone else from Brazil xD. I just say that because two of my friends are lesbians and people treat them very well.

18. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Noone ever knew, but everyone else here could repeat that. Noone is out and noone in their right mind wants to be out. Out of this country, well certainly a lot of a people want that, so that they can be out the other way as well.
    People never talked to me much about dates and love and this stuff because I was always seen partly as what I am. Someone who's not into this "this week I love x, then a week later I'm heartbroken so I love y". And that's almost the only thing that happens in schools with 2 exceptions in my class, one of those relationships (straight obviously) has lived for 3 years now so THAT I can clap to, THAT I can just go and say "WOOHOO Congratulations, YOU GET IT!!!" and it makes me happy to see people like that.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In fifth grade there were rumors going around that I was gay, and when someone asked me if they were true I'd say no because I thought I was probably bi... or... something. In eighth grade I knew I was gay, and I eventually told a guy when he basically declared his love for me. :lol: He ran around telling everyone, and then everyone was coming to me again to ask if it was true. I always told them yes, and eventually people quieted down about it.

When I moved to another town, I started off at a high school with a bunch of people I didn't know, and I was open about it from the start. I'm also in my school's GSA.

When I was coming out in eighth grade, a teacher also pulled me out into the hallway to ask me if it was okay for people to know and I was coming out willingly, because people were coming up to her to ask her if it was true, even though she didn't even know me that well. It was nice to know she was looking out for me. She said to tell her if I was having any problems.

When I came out at school, I also got some questions, some weird ones and some more serious ones. I had a conversation like this with a boy whom I barely knew:
    Him: So you don't like guys at all? Only girls? You're 100% gay?
    Me: Yes. One hundred percent.
    Him: Ah, okay. Cool. Girls got all the good stuff.
    Me: *nods*

And I got questions like, "When did you decide to become gay?" and "Have you ever dated a girl before?"

Nowadays, there is a creepy guy at school who obsesses over me because I am a lesbian and tries to convince me to be bisexual instead, so that he can date me for real instead of telling all his friends that I'm his girlfriend. :confused: Most people aren't so weird about it; they just say, "Cool," and move on from there. People at my new school seem to be overall more accepting.

20. The Wallflower

Still in High School, but I'll just let you know what's been going on so far:

Ok, so I started suspecting I was gay when I was in 7-8th grade.

When I reached High School, I accepted my sexuality on the first year. I just felt so free when I got there.

I told my best friend that year. Here's what went down:

At that time, I was horribly suffering from depression and had struggled to make and maintain friendships.

One day, in class, she tried talking with me and I just gave her small talk. She told me: "You're pushing me away.", (because I was very antisocial that month).

I said to her: "I have something to tell you later.", and she kept on insisting me to tell her what it was in that instant. In class.

I told her I couldn't, but she kind of guilted me into it, so I said: "I have a crush on someone."

She asked who, and I looked down as I told her very quietly: "Frederick."

The rest was history. She's my only real life friend that supports homosexuality, so she took it very well.

I then told my closest friends. It was very awkward. They don't support homosexuality. They handled it well, though.

Then I told my mom, and my sister last semester. They are also unsupportive of my sexuality, but I don't really care.

Today, lots of people know.

Now, I pretty much only tell people I'm gay if it pops up in a conversation or if I'm close to them. No one in my High School really gives a shit either way, lol.

I feel a lot more comfortable, free, and happy. :slight_smile: Still got one more year of HS left, and I'm looking forward to enjoying it.