1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "pan" a real sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xQuestions, Jun 15, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but here's my viewpoint.

Frankly, unless you are talking about some intelligent non-human species that I never heard of, the title is perhaps a bit silly. Human bodies come in male and female. They can be modified surgically and by hormone treatment, but the end result is still binary, male or female. A person may be "genderqueer" and not feel strongly about identifying as male or female in terms of personal identity, but that still leaves them in a body that's male or female. Two sexes, binary, hence, bisexual.

I don't get the way "pansexuals" will dismiss bisexual people as "Oh, they just like men or women. WE PANsexuals can love ANYONE regardless of their orientation or gender identity. Well, guess what? So do most bisexuals I know. A transgender woman is a woman, a transman is a man. Asexuals... well, there's not much point in pursuing a sexual relationship with someone who's not interested, is there?

What it boils down to is, most of the posts I've seen from "pansexuals" are defining themselves by how much more accepting and open they are than 'mere' bisexuals, when in fact they are mistaken about what bisexuality is.

I don't see any difference between bi and pan except, possibly, for the unwarranted assumption of moral superiority.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You're a kind individual, but that is why I believe pansexual is a useful label. Not everyone is going to accept a transwoman/man as a woman/man. You only need to look at the Vanity Fair comments to get a glimpse into that, and some of these individuals identify as bisexual. Not to say all bisexuals are like this, but it's something to keep an eye on.

3. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ That's another thing. Then it's almost like "bisexual" becomes an undesirable term, if it refers to people who are attracted only to cis-people. But I've never heard it used that way. Yeah, there are some homo-, hetero-, and bisexual people who would not be okay in a relationship with a trans person, but that's a separate issue.

To me, a pansexual has the potential to be attracted to someone who's genderqueer or refuses to identify as a man or woman or identifies as both (for whatever reason), whereas a bisexual is attracted to men and women, trans or not (depending on the person).

But yeah...totally get why people don't want to bother with these labels. Very confusing and very idiosyncratic.

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But we don't have a label to separate straight women who only like XY males from one who likes both XY males and transgender males.

#45 Austin, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Thanks again for all the erasing, guys, I really appreciate it! <3 or not.

7. MetalRice

Of course it is.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a pretty hasty generalization. :lol:

--

I personally find pan to be a pretty helpful title. As Kaiser mentioned, a lot of people aren't dtf with people under the trans umbrella, due to romantic preferences, or whatever. By no means is there anything wrong with that. Pansexual just means you're open to those identities. Not all bisexuals would be open to banging someone of my gender, but some would. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's a small difference, but it exists.

#48 Batman, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. Lipstick Leuger

I find this post interesting, as a 46 year old, I have seen more Bisexual people attempting to use the superiority card over Pansexuals.(it may be that I have been out longer, or that I know more gay people in general) I see Bisexuals saying that Pans are really just 'bi'. Kinda like the gay community tells Bis that they are really just gay or lesbian. Not very nice is it? How do Bis like it? If they don't like that, why are they doing it to Pan people?

People just need to stop policing gender/sexuality/labels and realize that ANYONE who is not 'strickly dickly' (or 100% straight), no questions asked, is some sort of gay.

Lets leave it at that. We are ALL gay, deal with it.

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2015 at 04:42 PM ----------

My oldest is Pan, and my youngest is Bi (((HUGS))) I believe in you. :kiss:

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bisexual means attracted to two genders.
    Pansexual means attracted to all genders.

It's the prefixes. Simple.

And labels for sexual orientation are usually meant to describe what genders you are attracted to, not what sexes.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pick pansexual, cater to the ignorant people out there who don't consider transgendered people to be the gender they identify as. Trans people may or may not feel invalidated.

Pick bisexual, cater to the trans community by validating the transgendered people's identities, but confuse the ignorant people who don't consider transgendered people to be the gender they identify as.

And then there are the people who are only attracted to cis genders... Which adds another layer of confusion.

That's how I see it anyways.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexual orientation doesn't describe the sexes you're interested in?

13. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's moreso the fact that some bi people aren't interested in trans people, meanwhile all pan people are.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wouldn't say that's true. You have sex with your genitals, not with your personality/identity, so it makes sense for most people to be sexually attracted to the physical form of male or female rather than the identity.

Of course some people base their sexuality off of gender and for them that's fine, but for me It's not. By that definition I would be considered bisexual since I am attracted to both women and non-binary people with vaginas (post-op trans women included) but I don't consider myself as such.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Hm... you bring up a fair point...

What do you propose?

16. homoecstasy

homoecstasy Guest

I don't know anything about pan or what it even means in terms of sexuality. It seems odd to me. For me its pretty simple. There are males and females. You either like males, you like females, or you like both. Pan? WTH is it?

17. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suppose I had a non-binary partner, ok. If I were to label myself bisexual, it would seem to them that I consider them a male or female when in terms of gender they are neither really. granted, i cannot deny biology, i can't deny what's down there. nonetheless, i am attracted to their gender, i am attracted to them. I will not limit myself to just the bisexual label because i feel that might be harmful to my partner (ie. increase dysphoria) if i were to say that i was attracted to their male/female/intersex biology.

18. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely believe it's a legitimate sexuality. Though up until a few months ago I had no idea what it meant. You learn something new every day.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth

20. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh you poor naïve man.